Laminated ELB timbers

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Diesel4655

Laminated ELB timbers

#1 Post by Diesel4655 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:02 am

Seeking some assistance in selecting local Australian timbers to build a trilaminate ELB. I don't really want to use bamboo, but haven't ruled out out completely as a core laminate. So looking for suggestions for Australian timbers that are readily available for back, core and belly laminates. I have some brush box at hand that I can rip for one of the laminations, would it be suitable, and for which lamination?

Diesel4655

Re: Laminated ELB timbers

#2 Post by Diesel4655 » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:06 am

Oh and I'd like to keep the colours reasonably similar, especially for the back and belly. Not a big deal if the core is contrasting. Can get hands on spotted gum as well.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:21 pm

Supplies of readily available Australian timbers can vary by state and location.
I prefer to use a good timber merchant/supplier as they carry a wider range than hardware outlets such as Bunning’s.

When you find out what timbers you have at your disposal you can draw up a list of their mechanical properties.
From this list you can work out which are the best timbers for your application as well as to what order to arrange the laminations.
Timbers of lower mass should assist in limb recovery.

Make sure you have sufficient taper on the core lamination otherwise you may run out of belly timber from inside mid limb to the tip during the tillering process.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

hunterguy1991

#4 Post by hunterguy1991 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:36 am

I make alot of trilaminate ELB's using Aussie woods and I'm affraid to say that it's REALLY hard to match backing and belly colours and still get a good bow... Good belly woods are things like red Ironbark, Spotty, black wattle... Hard, dense timbers that are generally dark in colour... Good backings are things like shea oak or red ash... Light colour timbers...

What draw weight are you wanting?

Diesel4655

#5 Post by Diesel4655 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:21 am

Thanks for the responses. Looking at around 60#

Also glues? Smooth on seems to be the go to epoxy, how's techniglue?

perry

#6 Post by perry » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:04 pm

there has been recent issue's with Smooth On Epoxy failing. I believe Smooth On has fixed the issue - trouble is at great cost to many Australian Bowyer's. I'm sure there's a few Blokes about here in a better informed position than I about the many virtue's with Smooth On.

Techniglue is very good, I know several Bowyers that swear by it. There is several formula's of it and some have made the mistake of choosing the faster curing formula's. There is a formula that cures slowly enough for Bow making. Again better informed blokes about here will chip in with the exact formula Techniglue to buy.

I have only used Bote Coat and it worked great for me, never had a Glue failure.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:55 am

Hi Diesel,

Both Techniglue CA and Smooth-On are excellent products.

I have probably made more styles of laminated bows than most with the above products.

Including workshops I would have used Techniglue CA on about forty bows and probably a similar number of bows using Smooth-On.

The main reason I switched to Smooth-On was because it offered a longer pot life, which is a bonus when gluing up a multi lamination bow in the Queensland summer.

I have been fortunate to have had only two bow failures out of all the laminated bows and the failures were my fault i.e. poor material preparation, dry glue joint [not enough glue, over clamping or a combination of both].

With one of the failures the problem may have been the result of poor design.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Diesel4655

#8 Post by Diesel4655 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:38 pm

Thanks for the reply gents. Was just in a local chandlery yesterday and noticed the techniglue. There were 30 minute and 60 minute hardeners available for it. Keeping it in the fridge may improve shelf life possibly?

hunterguy1991

#9 Post by hunterguy1991 » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:16 pm

use the 60 Min version mate. Better pot life and sets stronger. Leave your glue up a full day before you shape it if you don't have a hot box. Backings you're basically limited to bamboo if you want Australian, unless you can find Crows Ash as it will work. Other than that, American ash and Hickory are your best bet.