Viking Culture Day - 10th September

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Viking Culture Day - 10th September

#1 Post by perry » Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:55 pm

Next Sunday the 10th of September is the annual Viking Culture Day held by the Joth Gar Group up on Mount Tamborine..I have been invited again to do a Selfbow making demonstration. Usually I cut a fresh Stave but this year I am going to finish Tillering the Stave I was working on last year and I am taking another partially finished Stave I was working on at the Abbey Mediveval Festival.

Both Staves are Alphitonia Petriei aka Soapwood, Pink Ash. The one I will finish is a Gnarly twisted Stave with narrow Pyramid Limbs and the other has a heavily reflexed Limb that is relatively clear and straight.
Soapwood Staves.JPG
Soapwood Staves.JPG (140.58 KiB) Viewed 1428 times
As always looking forward to chatting to the Public and sharing my knowledge about all things Traditional Archery.
Hope to see a few of you Folks up there - it's a great Day out and the Jorth Gar Group put on fascinating displays of Viking Culture.

http://www.jorthgar.com/upcoming-shows/
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin