Snake skin sheds

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

rodlonq

Snake skin sheds

#1 Post by rodlonq » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:45 am

I wonder if it would be OK (i.e. legal) to use snake skin sheds to back bows, even if it was just for the looks rather than mechanical support. I cant see why not?

This young scrub python has been leaving a shed skin in my shed :lol: every 5-6 weeks. it is about 2.4 m overall length.

Cheers... Rod
Zsnake2.jpg
Zsnake2.jpg (100.89 KiB) Viewed 2681 times

bigbob

Re: Snake skin sheds

#2 Post by bigbob » Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:12 pm

Rod it is my understanding erroneous or otherwise that possession of snake skin whether form road kill or more devious means is prohibited and can incur a hefty fine. I will concede that the shed is perhaps a grey area though.In saying all this I have an osage bow from USA backed with rattler and unless I waved it under the nose of customs, or a quarantine official or the like I am sure nothing will come of that.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

RobHunter

#3 Post by RobHunter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:24 pm

I got curious

https://www.artslaw.com.au/info-sheets/ ... sland-law/

under heading

1.    Licences for protected plants and animals

A further option would be a ‘written authority’ to collect naturally shed animal materials (for example snake skins or bird feathers).[37] Unlike the formal licencing scheme, these authorities are provided on an ad-hoc basis, via a direct, written application to the Department of Environment and Heritage Protection. This can be done via letter or email and will require the applicant to specify the type of species and proposed use. From discussions with the DEHP, Arts Law understands that such authorities will only be issued for the use of feathers and snakeskins. There is currently no fee for these authorities (as at 20 July 2016) and the duration will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Once an authorisation is obtained, a copy should be displayed on the final artwork. It is not clear whether it is sufficient, as in some other States, simply to write the authorisation number on the back of the artwork. This enables the artwork to be exhibited or purchased by third parties within Queensland without requiring the exhibiting gallery or purchaser to obtain an additional authorisation. However, once the licence expires, it must be renewed so that the purchaser would be required to get their own licence in order to continue to hold the artwork legally in Queensland.  All specimens must be named in the application and licences can be later amended to include additional species if required.

probably need to read the whole thing lol

And this is just relevant to qld

Down the page is an example of of a person using feathers from dead birds, which I always thought was a straight NO!, but seems might be possible in QLD at least.
The problem I would see would be finding a person in the relevant govt department knowledgeable enough to research this topic. When I was working for the Vic govt policy offcers were hards to contact. I would see your local state mp - they are meant to act on your behalf and source gov't info.

I would class a skin on a bow as "ART"

Rgsd

Rob
Last edited by RobHunter on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RobHunter

#4 Post by RobHunter » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:33 pm

more on this from

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/qld/ ... sch1.html

Nature Conservation Act 1992 - SCHEDULE --
Dictionary (section 7)
Aboriginal land has the meaning given by the Aboriginal Land Act 1991, section 8.
animal means any member of the animal kingdom (other than human), (whether alive or dead), and includes—
(a) any—
(i) amphibian; or
(ii) bird; or
(iii) coral; or
(iv) fish; or
(v) invertebrate; or
(vi) mammal; or
(vii) reptile; and
(b) the whole or any part of—
(i) the progeny, larvae, pupae, eggs or genetic or reproductive material of an animal; and
(ii) the carcass or another part of an animal.

As a shed skin is part of the snake, by the definition it is subject to relevant laws the same as a dead or live animal.

rgds

Rob

rodlonq

#5 Post by rodlonq » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:37 am

Thanks Gentlemen,

Rob, that is a handy bit of research. It seems that the shed skins are considered part of the animal, I should ask him nicely not to leave them draped beside my access door so I not tempted to use them. Last time, at first light I thought he had me :lol:

Cheers... Rod

RobHunter

#6 Post by RobHunter » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:03 am

This is the link for the dept that handles in, and the lic info

http://www.ehp.qld.gov.au/licences-perm ... dlife.html

It seems to make a difference if you intend to sell item or use for personal purpose.

Fees (if applicable are not listed), the artlaw site (above) seemed to indicate not all categories incur a fee.

Rgds

Rob