Refinishing and adding tip overlays Questions

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Jumped-the-fence

Refinishing and adding tip overlays Questions

#1 Post by Jumped-the-fence » Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Hi everyone.

Spent some time lurking here, first post.
I have been a keen compound shooter and bow hunter for some time, bought myself a 50# Sage recurve last Xmas, quickly followed by a 74# Howard Hill Halfbreed.
I have hung up the compounds and recurve and have been shooting the longbow exclusively.
I was planning on attending the Graniet belt trad shoot on Oct.
Loving the challenge of mastering the longbow and plan on hunting with it come March.
It shoots well, I get a laugh from 70# compound shooting friends trying to draw it.

To my questions.
The Halfbreed is from the early 70's and is starting to show its age. I am hoping to bring it back to its former glory.
I have attached some files of the pics, not sure if that's the best way to attach pics.

I am wanting to refinish the coating. As per the pics some of the clear has gone from around the grip and there were some initials on there at some stage.
I plan on sanding the old clear off and giving it several coats of boat cote. I want to keep the original decals and serial and #, so plan on only lightly going over these areas and feathering around it, with the rest of the bow back to bare timber / fiberglass.
Just for something different I was going to get my sister in law to draw some celtic scrolls and patterns on the belly and back between coats of clear.

Whilst I am at it is it possible to put some tip overlays on to allow me to shoot a fast flight string?
This is where I would need some technical advice, is it possible? would it be of any benefit? what material would be good to use and what glue would be best to use? Boat coat is apparently used as a glue also.

I would be interested in hearing any feed back about these ideas, I want to be fully informed prior to ruining the bow.

Thanks in advance

Clint.

:Bow
Attachments
tip 2.jpg
tip 2.jpg (50.67 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
tip 1.jpg
tip 1.jpg (56.06 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
HH.3.jpg
HH.3.jpg (91.42 KiB) Viewed 3392 times
Serial.jpg
Serial.jpg (322.92 KiB) Viewed 3392 times

UPTHETOP

Re: Refinishing and adding tip overlays Questions

#2 Post by UPTHETOP » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:57 am

Just a thought, I personally wouldn't bother with the tip over lays as bulking them up to take a fast flight string is killing the purpose of what the Hill bow was actually designed to shoot. If you did go down that path and finally put a fast flight string on the bow the extra maybe 5-8 fps you would gain would be minimal. Plus I think the bow would be somewhat noisier to shoot and if you are going to hunt with it keep this in mind. I assume it has a B-50 string on it at present this is what the bow is designed to shoot and most Hill bows shoot quieter and better with the B-50 string. You may also find that the Half breed shoots wooden arrows a lot better then modern materials as they appear to cast the arrow a lot smoother then say lighter more modern material.
There are plenty more people on the site with a lot more experience with the Hill bows but these are just my thoughts on the Hill bows I have shot.
If you have gone through all the trouble in refinishing the bow why not stick to its Traditional heritage and take some game with it and enjoy the great bow you have in your possession.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Jumped-the-fence

#3 Post by Jumped-the-fence » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:07 am

Thanks for the reply

The overlays are perhaps a little too far.

I currently have a B50 string.
Shooting a combination of timber and carbon shafts, depending on the likely hood of damage. Dang timber shafts are weak in comparison.
Also has been a learning curve and some what expensive sorting some timber shafts.

More importantly, is boat coat the best choice as a finish?
Also is there any pitfalls to watch out for when sanding back the old coating? is it best to use a block? will lightly sanding over the old decals be ok?
What grit should I start with and how fine would I finish with?

Another of my ideas, I shoot 3 fingers under and have raised the rest, my thought was to get my fingers in the same spot as split and making the point of contact on the rest smaller. The block is double sided taped on there.
Am I overthinking things here?
Attachments
rest1.jpg
rest1.jpg (46.51 KiB) Viewed 3363 times

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:20 am

Are you wishing to restore the bow to its original glory or just clean it up to go bush bashing with it?

Has the bow been shot on a regular basis up to the present time or has it been stored away for many years? It can be difficult to ascertain the integrity of the glue lines after some forty years or so.

With vintage bows I believe it is better to enjoy them for what they are and not what we would like them to be.

The following link may give you some ideas on refinishing the bow.

Daryl.

http://shakespearearchery.blogspot.com. ... e-bow.html
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Jumped-the-fence

#5 Post by Jumped-the-fence » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:35 pm

Hi Greybeard

That is a good link. All sounds straight forward.
The bows used as examples are in way worse shape than mine.

Good questions also.
I guess I never rely thought about why I wanted to do these things and what I truly want from the bow or what I want it to be.
Reflecting why and what:

I do like to look after my gear, the bow needs some attention to keep it safe from the elements.
I like to tinker and fiddle and even more so if it is archery related.
I do like the customisation aspect of some artwork.
I want the bow to use, it is not to be a showpiece and hung on the wall to admire.
I want to take some game with it.

So with this said, I will go ahead and refinish the clear myself and see how It goes.

As for integrity of the bow, I don't know that the bow was being used a lot in the years prior to me buying it. I have shot at a guess a few thousand arrows through it, at no stage have I heard any strange sounds and from what I can see there is no need for concern.

I will post up some pics of the completed job, probably wont be until the new year.

Thanks

Jumped-the-fence

#6 Post by Jumped-the-fence » Sun Mar 05, 2017 6:32 pm

3 months later and its done.
Didn't get around to starting until the new year.
I sanded it back to bare timber and fiberglass, it turned very blond and I was concerned that the bamboo would remain white when coated. It all darkened with the clear.
I used bote cote, which is a 2 pac, takes about 20 hours until it is 100% hard. It was about $50 which makes 750ml, I did my bow and my sons self bow as a test and have about 2/3 left.

I hung it and gave it a coat, then flipped it and gave it another coat, sanded it back and wasn't totally happy with the coverage and finish.
Sanded back more and gave it 4 more coats, this time with it laying down, 1 coat on the belly, one on the back then one on each side.
This is a long process, if I do it again I might try an aerosol coating.

I used a combination of steel wool and cut and polish to get the finish that I was looking for, not gloss and not matt, I am happy with the "aged" look.
The bow now shows a lot more of the timber grain, which is evident when you compare the old around the serial number.

Here are some pics to compare to the before pics.
Attachments
2.jpg
2.jpg (94.64 KiB) Viewed 3255 times
P3050593.jpg
P3050593.jpg (67.85 KiB) Viewed 3255 times

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:57 am

The restoration project appears to have been successful, well done.

I forgot about this sentence when I read your second post.
Jumped-the-fence wrote:........Another of my ideas, I shoot 3 fingers under and have raised the rest, my thought was to get my fingers in the same spot as split and making the point of contact on the rest smaller......
Although you have raised the arrow shelf and presumably the nocking point, the pivot point on the handle of the bow remains the same. This could have an influence on the limb timing.

About all you can do is try the modification and evaluate the overall 'feel' of the bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Jumped-the-fence

#8 Post by Jumped-the-fence » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:40 am

Thanks Daryl, you are so wise.
I hadn't thought about the pivot point remaining the same.
Before putting on silencers I put Velcro on the shelf, then built this up with more Velcro, hook and loop stuck back to back until the least sound was made. Turns out the 1cm build up of the shelf made the least noise, so I stuck the diy timber build up back on there.

The next project is to build a bow from scratch.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by greybeard » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:08 pm

Jumped-the-fence wrote:.........back to back until the least sound was made. Turns out the 1cm build up of the shelf made the least noise............
Apart from less noise does the bow feel any better or worse when shooting?

Also what degree of tiller does the bow have?
Jumped-the-fence wrote:.........The next project is to build a bow from scratch.
What is your general location, there may be a bowyer near you.

Daryl.
[Ascham]