Phenolic

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

sage

Phenolic

#1 Post by sage » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:20 pm

Can anyone suggest a glue to use to stick two pieces of Phenolic together. Must be strong as it is to be used in a riser. Any assistance would be appreciated. Many thanks

woodie

Re: Phenolic

#2 Post by woodie » Sun Nov 20, 2016 3:47 pm

I would say a good epoxy but I have never used it so that is just a guess.
Woodie
may your arrows fly straight and true and your limbs return.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:02 pm

Hi Sage,

Risers, in particular those for take down bows are rigid by design so stress forces within the riser should not be an issue.

All of the phenolic materials that I have used had a very smooth and impervious surface that needed to roughened up with a coarse grit paper to obtain a 'keying' surface.

Any quality 2 pack epoxy should be suitable but as always check the manufacturers specification data sheet.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#4 Post by bigbob » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:05 pm

Agree with Daryl,essential that the surfaces of the phenolic be scuffed markedly with coarse grit . I use 40 grit but imagine 80 grit would be sufficient. I use smooth on as it is all I stock and does the job very well.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

sage

#5 Post by sage » Sun Nov 20, 2016 5:44 pm

Thank you all. I can see our error. Now to fix it.