Rawhide Backed Selfbow

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

JoeLethbridge

Rawhide Backed Selfbow

#1 Post by JoeLethbridge » Sun Jul 17, 2016 5:24 pm

Hi all,
Just want to show a bow that I've been working on for the past 2 years and is very near completion. I have no clue what the timber is (every wood-worker - haha, 3 in total - I've shown it to has been unable to identify it as well. Very tight growth rings, and a dense timber that is also a pleasure to work. The trees I've found grow to a maximum of 6 inches before they either fall over, or get their piths rotten out. Consequently, I glued on another piece of the same timber onto the handle to build it up to the desired thickness.

Shout-out to Rob (Flatliner), who kindly let me use his indestructible Techniglue for gluing the splice, handle and bone nock tips. Thanks once again Rob.
20160717_134958.jpg
20160717_134958.jpg (298.23 KiB) Viewed 4994 times
When strung, however, the right limb appears to be bending more that the left. This is due to the fact that the bow was spliced from half billets, so one limb is reflexed where the other is deflexed. When the bow is unstrung, this is apparent.
Unstrung Bow.jpg
Unstrung Bow.jpg (305.96 KiB) Viewed 4994 times
Growth Rings at fades.jpg
Growth Rings at fades.jpg (144.12 KiB) Viewed 4994 times
Bone Nock tip.jpg
Bone Nock tip.jpg (143.17 KiB) Viewed 4994 times
Handle Closeup.jpg
Handle Closeup.jpg (254.9 KiB) Viewed 4994 times
Dimensions:
Width at fades: just under 45 mm
Width at tips: 6/7 mm
Width at handle: just under 30 mm
Depth of handle: 50 mm
Length of handle and fades: 10"
Length of bow: 66"
Draw Weight @28": maybe 50#?

Had a bit of trouble with rawhide backing it (wasted 3 lots of strips, as I backed it in the summer and it just shriveled under the wrapping to 3/4 of its original width). And because the rawhide is such an ugly job, I think I'll paint a design on the back of the bow.
Painted Back.jpg
Painted Back.jpg (253.3 KiB) Viewed 4994 times
Here's the start.
Will keep you updated,
Joe

perry

Re: Rawhide Backed Selfbow

#2 Post by perry » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:41 am

Persistence always pays off Joe, well done Mate. Look forward to seeing the Patterns painted onto your Bow

Thick Rawhide like that is always a bugger to work with. I use Kangaroo Rawhide as it is most often less than 1mm thick. I buy it from Packer Leather at Narangba. Last I bought a Rawhide they where $57. The Hides are plenty big enough for Backing at least 3 Bows, maybe 4 and left overs for Knife Sheaths, cutting Lace and Patches. I keep all Offcuts as they can be Boiled into Glue.

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

JoeLethbridge

#3 Post by JoeLethbridge » Mon Jul 18, 2016 8:41 pm

Thanks Perry, it has been a relief to see the bow slowly develop from a chunk of wood to a thing with a life of its own.

The rawhide is in fact kangaroo rawhide, and was purchased from Birsall Leather. I would have gotten 4 lots of strips out of it if the strips didn't shrink in the heat.
The painting designs may be a cross between native American geometrics and Maori carvings. Something primeval.
The fine growth rings will be a lot clearer when its got half a dozen coats of danish oil on it.

Will post more photos soon
Joe

JoeLethbridge

#4 Post by JoeLethbridge » Sat Jul 23, 2016 4:09 pm

Had to postpone the painting for a bit due to the unseasonably wet weather up here.
It's not finished, but I already like it. Wish I could post some photos but the computer isn't happy at the moment.

JoeLethbridge

#5 Post by JoeLethbridge » Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:56 pm

Haven't oiled it yet, but thought I'd post some pics
Painted bow 1.jpg
Painted bow 1.jpg (249.99 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
Paint job to hide the rawhide mess
bow2.jpg
bow2.jpg (236.17 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
bow3.jpg
bow3.jpg (222.49 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
bow4.jpg
bow4.jpg (256.78 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
bow5.jpg
bow5.jpg (182.86 KiB) Viewed 4817 times
Just shy of full draw.
Joe

perry

#6 Post by perry » Sun Aug 28, 2016 10:01 pm

Excellent Paint Job Joe. Solid effort Mate you should be proud of yourself
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:05 am

terrific paint job there , Joe, in fact great job all round.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Flatliner

#8 Post by Flatliner » Mon Aug 29, 2016 1:01 pm

Nice work Joe, got a bit carried away with the paint job mate, looks great. How does it shoot?

Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

JoeLethbridge

#9 Post by JoeLethbridge » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:30 pm

Thanks fellas.
Rob, so far I've only shot it with the light carbons, but it seems to spit them out pretty fast. The only issue is that it has a little too much hand-shock for my liking, and I attribute this to the dense timber. Its currently being oiled, so I'll post some pics when its done!
Joe

bigbob

#10 Post by bigbob » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:15 pm

Actually to my way of thinking, the denser the riser material then the more unspent energy that escapes from the release is absorbed by said wood.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:13 pm

Hi Joe,

You have done a fine job on decorating the bow.

If the tiller has not changed since finishing the bow the limb timing is most likely out of synchronisation.
Joe.jpg
Joe.jpg (33.55 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
Re-tiller the bow to around 3/16” positive tiller to see if there is a reduction in hand shock.

I have found that using a low stretch string material improves the feel of the bow in the hand.
JoeLethbridge wrote:.........so far I've only shot it with the light carbons.......
Try some heavier arrows if possible, around ten grains per pound of draw weight.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

JoeLethbridge

#12 Post by JoeLethbridge » Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:53 pm

Greybeard,
the bow was glued from two wavy billets from the same length of timber, so where any reflex was in one limb, the same spot in the other limb would be deflexed, which made the tillering difficult, as the limbs were exact opposites of one another. The limb that is seen to be bending less actually has a lot of reflex near the handle, and the bendy limb has deflex in the same area. It did freak me out at first, but I've gone over it with calipers and its good. If you look at the full draw picture, the tiller will look more even.

BigBob,
that is definitely true, however, this bow had a small riser (5 inches with 3 inch fades), so the riser didn't end up with much mass. The limbs did have a slight concave shape (a little like the eiffel tower), so in theory the tips should have been really light (tips were 6 mm wide). The timber has a rather flexible-yet-dense characteristic, so its actually pretty hard to make a light bow out of this timber.
Looks really nice when finished though.
Joe