Martin mamba

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

curve

Martin mamba

#1 Post by curve » Mon May 30, 2016 12:24 pm

Hi all - just got my hands on this bow - but it was being used as a wall ornament (don't ask me I still shake my head) and has two drill holes in the riser - after wiping all the dust and crap off it - it's in mint condition and with no rest or on any residue on the shelf - it doesn't appear to have ever been shot. But does anyone know a good bowyer who may be able to repair the riser. If if interested please email me at wj@johnsonassociates.com.au - BTW I'm in Sydney - Thanks

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/ ... 050418.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/ ... 050417.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a364/ ... 050421.jpg

Sabinus

Re: Martin mamba

#2 Post by Sabinus » Mon May 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Wouldn't have thought the size, quantity or position of the holes will be undermining the strength of the riser - Whether colour matched or not, would not a pair of 'dowels',or 'dutchmen' tight-fitted, tapped in, and epoxied do the job?

curve

#3 Post by curve » Mon May 30, 2016 3:29 pm

Hi Sabinus - possibly mate - but would like to get a matched professional job if possible by someone who knows what they're doing - I'd hate to further stuff up the riser - BTW - "dutchmen??"

matt61

#4 Post by matt61 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:12 pm

I don't think you could bugger it anymore than what it already has been, but as with any wood laminate bow there is the risk that they will all eventually go bang.

I would get the same glue used by Bowyers to glue laminations together and put masking tape over the holes on one side of the riser and lay the bow down with the tape at the bottom and fill the holes with glue. Then I would make a leather grip to cover it up.

Or you could do what I did to fix a longbow that had popped when the glue failed in the laminations right in the middle of the riser, after I re-glued the riser I then bound the hand grip for extra strength using Brownell N#4 serving and then sealed the binding with the same glue and that bow is still shooting fifteen years later.
The glue I used was Techna-Glue that I got of the guy who sells Woomera Longbows.
Matt

curve

#5 Post by curve » Mon May 30, 2016 9:27 pm

Thanks Matt - but was hoping for a more "invisible" repair - but appreciate the advice..

twisted limb

#6 Post by twisted limb » Tue May 31, 2016 9:54 am

Mate give Nick Lintern a call at Norseman Bows I notice on his web site he does bow repairs.
John.

Sabinus

#7 Post by Sabinus » Tue May 31, 2016 10:51 am

'dutchman' a term I reckon I've read here at times and in american sites too - just a 'peg' mate.

Flatliner

#8 Post by Flatliner » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:44 pm

I could fix it for you Wayne but unless you live just down the road the postage will cost you an arm and a leg, being a one piece.

Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au