one for me.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

bigbob

one for me.

#1 Post by bigbob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:51 pm

been playing with this for a while between bows. Riser is Silver Ash/ Burdekin Plum and is 62'' NTN. still got a lot of work to do yet. should come up nice, I think.Brace height is still very low with working string on.
Attachments
DSCN0624.JPG
DSCN0624.JPG (177.14 KiB) Viewed 6668 times
DSCN0625.JPG
DSCN0625.JPG (183.55 KiB) Viewed 6668 times
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Flatliner

Re: one for me.

#2 Post by Flatliner » Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:56 pm

That's bloody nice Bob 8-) nothin like a bit of Silver Ash to bring out the colours and add a bit of class hey.

Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:01 pm

thanks Rob! yeah I really like using silver Ash where I can, always gives a nice contrast.Wait 'til I undress the tape of the belly lams, Rob. Got a rare bit of wood on them I purloined off some guy up north, something called Yellow boxwood! Think you might have seen some in your travels. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :dance: Muchas Gracious amigo! Still on the hunt for that other yellow stuff.
razorbows.com

Flatliner

#4 Post by Flatliner » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:08 pm

Hee Hee, must track that fella down and twist his arm a bit,,, I hear he has some more "Orange" Boxwood on the way.
Can't wait to see the final product.
On a different note, the last 6 bows I've made all have Black Palm in them :roll: , think I'm going to have to take a trip up north with the chainsaw before to long with a map that clearly shows the borders of the world heritage areas.

Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:17 pm

I have one small block of black palm left that i got of Lazarides before they got out of the 'exotic' wood supply.Makes a distinctive bow alright!
razorbows.com

metalhead

#6 Post by metalhead » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:44 pm

I love the design and contrast of timbers in your bows. I'm in the market for a new bow and was wondering what sort of money would a bow like that set me back. Feel free to PM me,

Outbackdad
Site Admin

#7 Post by Outbackdad » Wed Jan 20, 2016 6:07 am

Hope to see it at North Albert.

:Bow

Gringa Bows

#8 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:04 am

Very nice

bigbob

#9 Post by bigbob » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Ta muchly fellas!.
razorbows.com

Ian Turner

#10 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Jan 21, 2016 3:15 pm

Hi guys the examples shown here by Flatline, Bigbob Buffalo Bows Norseman etc just goes to show the kind of bows that can and are built in OZ by OZ Bowyers;
I know its a matter of to each his own but why would you spend you hard earned's overseas for a custom hand made bow when we have such talent here.
I have a bow by bigbob and another from Dan76 (Buffalo Bows) and they are really nice pieces of craftsmans work!!
As I say though to each his own.
Cheers
guys keep up the good work.
Ian

bigbob

#11 Post by bigbob » Thu Jan 21, 2016 4:43 pm

thanks Ian. As you said, Gringa, Flatline, Buffalo, Norseman, Ranger as well as Razor my own, are all proudly Australian and hopefully right up there in comparable quality.
What some may not appreciate is the huge costs at the moment in getting supplies from USA due to pitiful exchange rate. as an example one small order of $125 US cost me almost double by the time I received with shipping etc.Bowyers in USA can get their supplies domestically and for a fraction of the cost. IF the present government does implement the 15% GST on ALL overseas purchases next year as threatened, will probably be the straw that breaks the camels back.AND it is not protecting any domestic industry as glass etc[decent glass] is only made in USA
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#12 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:46 pm

Thanks for adding my name Bob,i think ive been out of the lime light too long Hahaha,,and yes the exchange rate is pityful;,i just sent an order for $360 US and it cost me $520 odd and that was a small order,put an order into that Big Jims and he didnt except my visa .sent him an email 2 days ago ,no answer

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#13 Post by greybeard » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:44 pm

bigbob wrote:.........What some may not appreciate is the huge costs at the moment in getting supplies from USA due to pitiful exchange rate......
Bob,

Be it bow making supplies or completed bows they are both subject to exchange rates, postage rates and at present GST if the invoice value is above $1000.00.

Should the government alter the manner in which it is applied and the percentage rate of GST does increase it would appear that bow making components and complete bows would be subject to similar rates?

If the current GST threshold is eliminated and working on the GST being set at 10% a $1000.00 finished bow would attract $100.00 in GST. $500.00 worth of bow making material would attract $50.00 in GST.

Depending on the product mix the $500.00 of bow components could yield two or three bows.
bigbob wrote:........Bowyers in USA can get their supplies domestically and for a fraction of the cost........
Does the current situation pose barriers that hinder your ability to supply a ‘small’ market?
bigbob wrote:........AND it is not protecting any domestic industry.........
What domestic industry? How much does the local bow making industry add to Australia’s GDP?

Can you provide statistics to back up your comments?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

bigbob

#14 Post by bigbob » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:36 am

geez Daryl we had have a similar discussion some time back. All i am going to say about the matter is I stand by everything I've just said.My point is that potential bow purchasers shouldn't use the price of a bow in USA compared to here as our costs comparatively, are much higher for the same material. Also I was saying that the implementation of the proposed 15% GST on ALL external purchases in 2017, has no industry protection [supply of raw materials] as a moderating factor. Have a happy day.
razorbows.com

bigbob

#15 Post by bigbob » Fri Jan 22, 2016 4:50 pm

Starting to get there. Belly lams look fairly special. Finish sanding and bit of finessing yet.
Attachments
DSCN0636.JPG
DSCN0636.JPG (172.52 KiB) Viewed 6507 times
DSCN0635.JPG
DSCN0635.JPG (186.96 KiB) Viewed 6507 times
razorbows.com

Alex

#16 Post by Alex » Sat Jan 23, 2016 2:57 pm

I can see why you wanna keep this one...
Beautiful...bloody good job.
Keep it...
Alex.

bigbob

#17 Post by bigbob » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:04 pm

thanks alex, should look schmick once its sanded and has finish on it.
razorbows.com

GrahameA

#18 Post by GrahameA » Sat Jan 23, 2016 9:05 pm

Evening All
bigbob wrote:... as our costs comparatively, are much higher for the same material. ...
I am not so sure about that. A short time ago the exchange was such that Australian purchases were comparitively cheaper and Australian generally do not attract state taxes.

Irrespective, people always have the option of manufacturing their own fibreglass/carbon laminations. Which gives them them the option to make glass/cabon laminations to whatever Quality Standard they wish.
Prior to the last site crash there was an illustrated post showing how to make Carbon Laminations. The process of making glass laminations is similar.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

bigbob

#19 Post by bigbob » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:46 am

Grahame I am entirely cognisant of prices available to domestic consumers in USA and can assure you they are almost half of what we pay once exchange rate and shipping is factored in. regarding manufacturing our own glass. Recently there was a crisis within the bowyers fraternity concerning the very poor quality of Gordon's clear glass, both UL and ULS. This firm has been manufacturing 'glass for many decades. If they, with all their experience can find it very hard to maintain an acceptable product what hope for an amateur piddling around in their backyard, and who would want to add another time consuming and probably futile stage to building their own bows
razorbows.com

GrahameA

#20 Post by GrahameA » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:20 pm

Afternoon Bob.
bigbob wrote:... who would want to add another time consuming ...
The same people who make their own laminations, both parallel and tapered, from vertical bamboo floorboards, various timbers or their own bamboo stacks.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

rodlonq

#21 Post by rodlonq » Thu Jan 28, 2016 5:07 pm

That bow is real eye candy Bob, came up a treat. I'm sure you'll enjoy shooting that one.

bigbob

#22 Post by bigbob » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:23 pm

Thanks rod. It's not finished yet, have to apply finish but that is a whole another story, costs me hundreds so far but hopefully light at the end over a suitable finish to my bows
razorbows.com

Nezwin

#23 Post by Nezwin » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:33 pm

The contrast between the Silver Ash & B. Plum is beautiful. Very nice!

bigbob

#24 Post by bigbob » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:52 pm

Thanks Nez, as I mentioned to Rod, hopefully get the finish stuff sorted next week and get it finished so i can start using it.
razorbows.com