Glue Dramas

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Stu Ballz

Glue Dramas

#1 Post by Stu Ballz » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:12 pm

can some one suggest a fletching glue that wont react badly with my enamel/acrylic cresting.
I have also used the fletching tape and top and tailed the fletch with glue with success but even the small dob of glue can distort the cresting. I put lots of effort into my arrows and enjoy it immensely I just want to achieve the best results I can.
Thanks
Stuart

weaponhead

Re: Glue Dramas

#2 Post by weaponhead » Tue Jan 27, 2015 9:38 pm

G'day mate
I use shock resistant superglue, Bunnings stock it. Have never had a fletch come off or had a reaction to the paint.
Mat

Stu Ballz

#3 Post by Stu Ballz » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:50 am

Thanks Mat any particular brand ?

Ian Turner

#4 Post by Ian Turner » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:18 pm

Hi mate yeah i would like to know which one too as i am wondering what glue i can use that will stick well to the cap cresting that i am trying using both acrylic enamel and oiul based enamel top coats over british paints 4 in 1 prep coat water based undercoat.

I also use feast watson proof tint and minwax rub on poly on others i i am also wondering what glue to use there too.
Cheers
IAN

little arrows

#5 Post by little arrows » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:50 pm

all this acrylic enamel and oil based enamel, superglue, cap crowning, waxes - goodness.... :confused:
I believe it would be beneficial to use either - All water cleanup products or All mineral cleanup products. Same brands, different clean up, different brands different clean-ups, sometimes just do not mix on all shaft with any glue.
As an example - enamel clear coats, enamel cresting, fletching tape and C23 (tarzens grip, fletchtite) dobs top and bottom
Works for Steve every time. :smile:

cheers
sue

dan76

#6 Post by dan76 » Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:24 pm

I use fletch tape and top and tail with Fletchtite or similar.

Dan

Ian Turner

#7 Post by Ian Turner » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:03 am

I have to admit I have always wondered if the tape is any good and on what surfaces it works and doen't work on ie wood bare and paited, aluminium bare and cap crested and carbon.
Cheers
IAN

Stu Ballz

#8 Post by Stu Ballz » Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:50 am

I have used it on painted woods and un painted carbon. I have had trouble when it gets hot if there is any pressure on the feathers they will list to one side and stay like that.

On a separate note thanks for all the info people I will give it a crack on the weekend when I get home