Bamboo and Osage Orange Splice.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Bamboo and Osage Orange Splice.

#1 Post by greybeard » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:48 pm

I have a few billets of less than ideal quality Osage taking up space in my workshop so instead of dumping it I decided to cut a stave and back it with some pole bamboo.

For those who have not seen my previous effort using Osage from the same batch of billets see; http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=14756

The Osage billet was so bad I had to dock it and cut two limbs that could be spliced at the handle.
Billet Comp.jpg
Billet Comp.jpg (135.59 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Once the limb billets were thinned and the sides brought in to parallel I noticed some awkward pin knots. In an effort to avoid these pin knots the limb plan had to be cut on the diagonal.

I prefer to glue the limbs together full width which makes it easier to mark a centre line and to lay out the plan of the bow.

Marking out the ‘Z’ splice, cut splice and glued splice.
Marking Out Z Splice.JPG
Marking Out Z Splice.JPG (115.27 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Cut Z Splice.JPG
Cut Z Splice.JPG (107 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Glued And Clamped Z Splice.JPG
Glued And Clamped Z Splice.JPG (99.51 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
A string line was used to obtain the correct limb alignment.

Finished splice.
Finished Splice.JPG
Finished Splice.JPG (70.26 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Fortunately the billet had a bend at one end which allowed me to have a little natural reflex towards the tips.
Joined Limbs.JPG
Joined Limbs.JPG (47.57 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
An overlay was applied to the belly side of the handle to give extra strength to the splice.

To add to my woes the bamboo had some longitudinal splits between the nodes and although not detrimental to the integrity of the backing they do detract from the overall finish of the bow.

The bamboo backing was prepared in the usual manner and glued to the stave.
Glueup.JPG
Glueup.JPG (51.69 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Erratic grain pattern.
Grain On Belly.jpg
Grain On Belly.jpg (52.31 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Tip overlays are Brigalow and red Phenolic.
Tip Overlays.jpg
Tip Overlays.jpg (81.34 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
On the initial weigh in the bow pulled 51.5# @ 27” and after tillering adjustments and exercising the draw weight settled at 45#.

Shot a few arrows this morning and I was pleasantly surprised at how the weight builds up through the draw, no hand shock. The Fast flite / low stretch Flemish twist string was supplied by Steve at Wallace Woods.

To date the belly is intact with no signs of chrysaling or other failures.

The limb on the right hand side of the photo may need some adjustment which will then probably mean an adjustment of the limb on the left hand side.
Osage And Bamboo Bow.jpg
Osage And Bamboo Bow.jpg (104.75 KiB) Viewed 5479 times
Bamboo And Osage At Draw.JPG
Bamboo And Osage At Draw.JPG (262.52 KiB) Viewed 5209 times
Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Hamish

Re: Bamboo and Osage Orange Splice.

#2 Post by Hamish » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:27 pm

Looking good Daryl. I would hesitate against making any changes in tiller because you used the average of the billets natural reflex before backing with the boo. It is more of a self bow backed with boo, rather than one made from tapered belly lam's, so you get a little natural variation from one limb to the other.
Set is low, and pretty even. A good use for that thin ringed osage. Even crappy osage is osage, and it has been put a good use. Smooth craftsmanship. I like it.
Hamish

bigbob

#3 Post by bigbob » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:09 pm

I concur, good save on some dubious wood,and a nice bow is the result!
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Peregrine

#4 Post by Peregrine » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 pm

Fantastic work again Daryl! Very interesting :)

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:11 pm

Hamish wrote:I would hesitate against making any changes in tiller because you used the average of the billets natural reflex before backing with the boo. It is more of a self bow backed with boo, rather than one made from tapered belly lam's, so you get a little natural variation from one limb to the other.
Hamish, I won't make any adjustments unless the limb timing goes out of synchronisation.
bigbob wrote:good save on some dubious wood
Bob, I was lucky I did not dump the billets. On previous occasions I have thrown timber out and then find out some time later I could have made use of it.
Peregrine wrote:Very interesting
Tracey, 'Z' splices are quite easy, mark out and cut accurately and take your time.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

hunterguy1991

#6 Post by hunterguy1991 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:29 am

Daryl this is brilliant!!

The things you do never cease to amaze me!

Beautiful looking piece, love the tip overlays!! What does it shoot like?

Colin

Guy Layton

#7 Post by Guy Layton » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:23 pm

Hi Daryl,

Looks fantastic mate...!

I love bamboo backed osage bows... :biggrin:

Cheers Guy
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:38 pm

Nice work as usual Daryl.

Jeff

rodlonq

#9 Post by rodlonq » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:39 am

Very nice Daryl.

hazard

#10 Post by hazard » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:58 pm

Looks like it would be a very forgiving bow to shoot.

If if shoots that well I would leave the tiller alone, it is probably settling into where it needs to be.

Beautiful job Daryl
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:57 pm

Colin, although I only had a few test shots in my workshop the bow felt comfortable in the hand. Hopefully I may get down to the club during the week to see how well the bow casts an arrow.

I will take the bamboo/hickory recurve tip bow as well and do some comparison testing.

Guy, I was never a fan of the colour of Osage but I am getting used to it.

For the limb thickness of the Osage and bamboo I was anticipating a draw weight in the vicinity of 55# to 60# when compared to the limb thickness of the hickory or rock maple bamboo backed bows that I have made.

Jeff and Rod, it makes for an enjoyable change to making the glass laminated bows.

Graydon, at this stage the bow feels good so I will leave it as is.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:11 pm

greybeard wrote:For the limb thickness of the Osage and bamboo I was anticipating a draw weight in the vicinity of 55# to 60# when compared to the limb thickness of the hickory or rock maple bamboo backed bows that I have made.
The Osage appears to be fairly close grained and in my experience this seems to make lighter draw weight bows for a given thickness.

Jeff

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:57 am

Morning All.

Having seen the bow up close and observed the problems with the timber (over a few months) the bow is an example of what can be done with a bit of forethought, skill and not rushing things.

The bow has some neat solutions to problems in its construction I would call them examples of lessons from previous events.

Once again Daryl has shown the lesson that you do not need to have chunks of money to make excellent bows, etc.

Another example of drinking at the Coffee mug of Knowledge

Thought for the Day.

A smart man learns from his mistakes, a smarter man learns from the mistakes of others and smart man learn his lessons well.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by greybeard » Wed Sep 03, 2014 12:46 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:The Osage appears to be fairly close grained and in my experience this seems to make lighter draw weight bows for a given thickness.Jeff
Jeff, the darker grain timber appears to have little substance to it.

I managed to weigh a piece of the Osage and it grossed to 780kg. per cu/m. Some wood charts suggest mid to high 800 kg. at 12% moisture.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:35 pm

greybeard wrote:Jeff, the darker grain timber appears to have little substance to it.
Yeah I have two Osage bows of the same draw weight and the one made from the darker close grained wood is way thicker than the one made from lighter and wider apart growth rings.

Jeff

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by greybeard » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:52 am

hunterguy1991 wrote:........What does it shoot like?
Colin, I managed to get down to the club and put quite a few arrows through the bow.

I must say I am very happy with the bow and was surprised by its performance, I was expecting the bow to be a bit sluggish.

The best way I can describe the bow is that once you start shooting it you don't want to put it down.

What was noticeable was a poor release resulted in the arrow rattling around the handle.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

mikaluger

#17 Post by mikaluger » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:16 pm

greybeard wrote:
hunterguy1991 wrote:........What does it shoot like?
Colin, I managed to get down to the club and put quite a few arrows through the bow.

I must say I am very happy with the bow and was surprised by its performance, I was expecting the bow to be a bit sluggish.

The best way I can describe the bow is that once you start shooting it you don't want to put it down.

What was noticeable was a poor release resulted in the arrow rattling around the handle.

Daryl.
Hmmm Daryl, I know what you mean!!!!!!!! My spliced Osage bow is my Fave, I won't sell it. Just a pleasure to shoot. Bow is nearly a year old now and i shoot it all the time, still the same specs.
I have redone the riser as the solid riser "popped" off so now I laminate and peg my risers. End of that little problem! :shock:
I understand now why people love osage.
Attachments
WP_20140906_12_46_55_Pro.jpg
WP_20140906_12_46_55_Pro.jpg (67.82 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
WP_20140906_10_06_34_Pro.jpg
WP_20140906_10_06_34_Pro.jpg (147.58 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
WP_20140906_10_04_45_Pro.jpg
WP_20140906_10_04_45_Pro.jpg (71.74 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
WP_20140906_10_04_20_Pro.jpg
WP_20140906_10_04_20_Pro.jpg (44.33 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
WP_20140906_10_03_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20140906_10_03_51_Pro.jpg (46.54 KiB) Viewed 5248 times
WP_20140906_10_03_11_Pro.jpg
WP_20140906_10_03_11_Pro.jpg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 5248 times

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by greybeard » Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:42 pm

mikaluger wrote:Hmmm Daryl, I know what you mean!!!!!!!! My spliced Osage bow is my Fave, I won't sell it. Just a pleasure to shoot. Bow is nearly a year old now and i shoot it all the time, still the same specs.
I have another bamboo/Osage bow on the go at the moment, a bit like yours but with recurved tips.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

mikaluger

#19 Post by mikaluger » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Cant wait ot see it!!!! :biggrin:
I am going to do the same with the billets I just received. I want to do a spliced self bow and a spliced bamboo backed osage with the offcuts. nothing to waste here!!!