Shaping A Riser - Martin Archery.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Shaping A Riser - Martin Archery.

#1 Post by greybeard » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:52 am

They say practice makes perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZfKhdSJ1sY

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Flatliner

Re: Shaping A Riser - Martin Archery.

#2 Post by Flatliner » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:12 pm

inspiring Daryl, I wish I had the confidence and tools to work at that speed,,,,, but like you said, maybe with practice :wink: .

Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by greybeard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:57 am

Rob,

I would be very reluctant to put the bow near the bandsaw but I liked the versatility of their vertical belt sander. In the meantime I will have to be satisfied with my power file.
02 Sanding.jpg
02 Sanding.jpg (21.43 KiB) Viewed 1469 times
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Fanto

#4 Post by Fanto » Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:15 pm

Seems to me that the way martin do it is pretty much the same as any outer bowyer making laminate bows?

The quality of the finish is very consistent and very good. Not heirloom but very good.

Bear on the other hand use a machine to shape risers. Thus they have no individuality whatsoever, instead they have perfect consistency.

To each his own
"So long as the new moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow, so long will the fascination of archery keep hold in the hearts of men" The Witchery of Archery, Maurice Thompson

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by greybeard » Fri Dec 27, 2013 3:40 pm

Fanto, I believe they have a 'master' for each style of bow.

This link is for the Grizzly recurve. Automated shaping of the riser starts at about 2mins 40secs of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNJi5vDUBgo

Daryl.
[Ascham]

Guy Layton

#6 Post by Guy Layton » Fri Dec 27, 2013 6:03 pm

Hi Daryl,

Wow... That guy makes it look easy, which I'm sure it isn't....!

Looks like he has a few self made sanding machines in that video....?

Cheers Guy... :biggrin:
The broadhead used, regardless of how sharp, is no where as important as being able to place it in the correct spot....!