It's bending! It's bending!

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Sabinus

It's bending! It's bending!

#1 Post by Sabinus » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:19 pm

IMG_1242.jpg
IMG_1242.jpg (67.01 KiB) Viewed 1426 times
Well 'duh' I hear you all saying - but in my bowyering infancy, this is cause for excitement! I'm really interested at this point in how some of the more experienced eyes out there are seeing the curvature of these limbs. I'm thinking the handle section needs to start working a bit more to utilise all of this short little stave (54 inches). I'm only aiming for something in the neighborhood of 20 pounds at 20 inches, and am hoping there is enough wood here to achieve that. really though, I'm just after lessons can put to use on a full stave or board down the track. Guys - is there any trouble brewing here I have not noticed? I'd really value your feedback.
Darren

longbow steve

Re: It's bending! It's bending!

#2 Post by longbow steve » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:19 am

Looking good, avoid the temptation of working to much at the handle. When I do my bendy handle bows I leave the centre section rigid until I am approaching full draw as that is when you want it to start bending ever so slightly. All I do is the occasional scrape to bring it down but keep it thicker than the rest of the limb.
What you should be aiming for now is to get each limb bending evenly in relation to each other and keeping them that way until you can get it to brace then slowly working it to a longer draw length while dealing with differences that you see.
This bow is a candidate for using the Tillering Gizmo. I will find a link for for you. Steve
http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb. ... 5;t=001047

Sabinus

#3 Post by Sabinus » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:02 am

Thanks for the advice Steve, and for that link. Think i need a 'gizmo' before i go any further...
Darren

yeoman

#4 Post by yeoman » Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:34 pm

I'd ignore the gizmo. It's really only any good if you're doing circular tiller, and I personally think training the eye would be hindered by relying on a tool to make marks for you.

The bend is looking nice and even at the moment. I'd get the long string as short as you can and still get the loops into the nocks.

Then get back to us. Looking good so far!
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

scuzz

#5 Post by scuzz » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:40 pm

Hi Sabinus

I have just recently finished my first selfbow and i found a 'gizmo' of sorts to be VERY helpful to a newbie, and if nothing else a good check to use to compare with what the bend on the tree seems to be showing.

Cheers,
Scuzz

longbow steve

#6 Post by longbow steve » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:41 am

yeoman wrote:I'd ignore the gizmo. It's really only any good if you're doing circular tiller, and I personally think training the eye would be hindered by relying on a tool to make marks for you.

The bend is looking nice and even at the moment. I'd get the long string as short as you can and still get the loops into the nocks.

Then get back to us. Looking good so far!
The gizmo or a straight edge can be used on the area you want the limb to bend and areas can be left stiff if you want. It is used more to see that the limbs are bending the same relative to each other so is quite useful. Takes most people a while to get the eye for tillering. Steve