Homemade Oil Skin Anorak

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Homemade Oil Skin Anorak

#1 Post by perry » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:59 pm

Across on the Bushcraft Oz Forum a Gent had posted a Recipe for Reproofing Oil Skin Jackets.

http://bushcraftoz.com/forums/showthrea ... ng-Oilskin

Today I made up about 400 Ml of the Reproofing Recipe and applied it to my old Drizabone Hat. It worked a Treat, the Hat came up real well and Water just beads off it

I also applied the Reproofing Mix to an old Anorak, it has a Hood and is made of Cotton and lined with Flanel. I have long wanted a Drizabone Jacket or similar but can't get past the price so I figured I may as well have a crack at making my own. The mix was easy to Mix and apply as per the instructions in the Bushcraft Oz thread.
PC060107.JPG
PC060107.JPG (192.06 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
I am very happy with the results. The Anorak took on a much darker Shade, it was Olive Drab and it sheds Water quite well. As it was not Treated beforehand I feel it needs another Coat [ bad Pun - forgive me ] before it will match the Hat in it's ability to Shed Water. It is certainly good enough to keep me dry as it is

The positive results have inspired me to buy a Painter Drop Cloth and make my own Oilskin Tarp. I used most of the Reproofing and do not have enough Beeswax to mix another lot but will get some Shortly and show off the Tarp when it's done.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

jonow

Re: Homemade Oil Skin Anorak

#2 Post by jonow » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 pm

I reckon this post has upped the sales of linseed oil already :)
Now I know I can redo mine
Thanks for the link!!!
"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, So are the children of one's youth. Happy is the man who has his quiver full of them" Psalm 127

hazard

#3 Post by hazard » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:38 pm

Awesome Perry
I always wondered if it was easy to do that to material by yourself and this has a huge potential, thats for sure.

Thanks for posting it.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

longbow steve

#4 Post by longbow steve » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:24 am

Thats great Perry. Jeffro always boasts how warm he is in his around the fire when the impregnated oil warms up.
I came across Silicon impregnated nylon tarp DIY a few months ago if you are interested, look it up on You Tube. Cheers Steve

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:36 am

Morning All.

People who ride/have ridden motorcycles understand weatherproof clothing.

Some companies have a history of making stuff that keeps your dry. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Barbour_and_Sons
This a a good site to remember
http://www.barbour.com
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

perry

#6 Post by perry » Tue Jun 04, 2013 7:19 am

Thanks for the comments Folks. Old School knowledge such as this is applicable to Traditional Archery and Hunting Skills. My Parents where born during the early Great Depression Years and their early lives where spent doing this sort of thing as a matter of coarse. Modern Life with it's convieniences has caused us to forget simple stuff like making your own Oil / Wax Water Proofing.

A few months back I bought a Canvas Pack to use on overnight Hunts. Lately I have been thinking of expanding my upcoming project of making an Oil skin Tarp is to make a Roycroft Packframe http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSUkSlrBZN4 [ note 3 Video's ] I'll devise a different Leather Pack Strap system than used in the Video
or a Pack along these lines http://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/fusio ... p/0/all/1/ and use them for overnight Hunts, of coarse I'd use my Selfbow and Primitive Arrows as well. For several years I have also been struggling to stop myself getting into Smoothbore Flintlocks as another extension of my seeking knowledge from the past. I don't need another obsession, Archery should be enough :lol:

Great where a block of Beeswax and a Bottle of Linseed can take you

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:32 am

Morning Perry
perry wrote:Old School knowledge such as this is applicable to ...
The assumption made by most people is that newer/moderner is better which is not always the case. Many items had a few thousand years to be perfected and when made in modern products can be highly effective, Then again the modern/cheaper versions of some things is not as good as the older version.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

rodlonq

#8 Post by rodlonq » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:54 am

Well done Perry. Thanks for posting.

Cheers...... Rod

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:56 pm

Very interesting Perry but what is the smell like? Also wouldn't dirt etc stick to it making it rather messy?

Jeff

perry

#10 Post by perry » Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:54 pm

Jeff it's been nearly a week, it smells of Linseed Oil still it is disipating. The Chap on Bushcraft Oz says you can add a few drops of an Essential Oil you like the smell of if you don't like the smell of Linseed, I do like the smell of Linseed. The Coat is a little stiffer than before I put the Compound on but apparently they loosen up with use. It is not Tacky or Sticky to touch at all. I can not see Dirt being an issue at all.

I have been watching a few Youtube Vids on similar topics this week. He uses a Commercially available Linseed Based Product tinted with Paint Tint so it looks a little more authentic. Don't know if similar products are available locally.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ec1-wS4NfeU

It's an interesting watch, the bloke has other interesting Vids

regards Jacko

- Charles Darwin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Thanks Perry. Linseed oil isn't one of my favourite smells. :lol: I ask about the dirt because an old Driazabone of mine seemed to attract the dirt.

Jeff

perry

#12 Post by perry » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:30 am

2 and a bit weeks on Folks

As the Compound has dried it has become increasingly Water repellent and I feel a second application is unnecessary. The Linseed smell has all but dissipated , it's there but in the background. The Material has stiffened up appreciably but it will loosen with use. The Anorak is Warmer since the Water Proofing Compound was applied.

With the success of this Project I'll get a big Batch of Beeswax soon, buy a Painters Drop Cloth and convert it into an Oil Skin Tarp. Hopefully so I can use it on the Trad Shoot Tour down to Mildura and Lillydale in August/September

You read from time to time that Cloths used to apply Linseed when stored incorrectly spontaneously burst into flame. I understand this is a possibility and you should never throw a Cloth moistened with Linseed into the Bin, lay it flat until Dry and then the danger is Gone. Some draw a Longbow and then suggest that Oil Cloths are therefore Flammable.

They will not catch Fire from Sparks thrown from a Camp Fire or the like. If an Ember lands on one and sits in place, they do not erupt in flames, a hole is Burned through them as you would expect, patch it and away you go again

I feel no more a Fire Hazard wearing this Anorak or using a Oil Skin Tarp when I make it than when using the Modern Synthetics in common use today

regards Jacko.

- Charles Darwin