oven ready

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

texx

oven ready

#1 Post by texx » Mon May 06, 2013 12:27 pm

ok i am one step closer , i have the oven built and it even works .
might need to put in a day tidying up the shed its getting pretty bad then build a form and i'm off and running .
Attachments
P1010056.JPG
P1010056.JPG (64.95 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
P1010054.JPG
P1010054.JPG (61.83 KiB) Viewed 2782 times
always seems to happen when its least expected most

dan76

Re: oven ready

#2 Post by dan76 » Mon May 06, 2013 1:46 pm

Whats that you have used to line the inside of your oven and where did you get it?

Dan

mac1

#3 Post by mac1 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:19 pm

looks like house sizalation from the pic
Mac

texx

#4 Post by texx » Mon May 06, 2013 4:21 pm

yeah i was going to use alfoil ( would of been a challange ) . then i rememered i had this part roll of insulation foil left over had it for years and the ends were no good all stuck together for some reason , anyway i chopped 6"s off each end of the roll with the band saw and the rest is all good . its the stuff that is blue one side a silver the other you can buy it in short rolls from the big hardware joints i think .
johno

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 pm

looking good texx, what sort of form are you going with? Ie; straight laid long bow, deflex , deflex/reflex or recurve.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

hazard

#6 Post by hazard » Mon May 06, 2013 5:01 pm

Now thats an oven!! 8)

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

texx

#7 Post by texx » Mon May 06, 2013 5:32 pm

bigbob wrote:looking good texx, what sort of form are you going with? Ie; straight laid long bow, deflex , deflex/reflex or recurve.
thought i would just do a straight one for my first one i have a couple of 2mtr lengths of 200x42 lvl beam i am going to use one of them for a form .
just run it through the thicknesser and knock a couple of mil off the thickness. then drill a heap of holes for dowel and use the innertube strip method for now on the flat one , if i make more and go to bendy forms then i will go the air hose method .
johno

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Mon May 06, 2013 7:07 pm

hazard wrote:Now thats an oven!! 8)

Hazard
How many chickens can it roast at the same time? 8) 8) 8)

You have done a first class job on its construction.

Do you think the rubber tube will maintain its tension when exposed to heat for an extended period of time?

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

texx

#9 Post by texx » Mon May 06, 2013 7:26 pm

greybeard wrote:
hazard wrote:Now thats an oven!! 8)

Hazard
How many chickens can it roast at the same time? 8) 8) 8)

You have done a first class job on its construction.

Do you think the rubber tube will maintain its tension when exposed to heat for an extended period of time?

Daryl.
dont know its all new to me , but plenty of others are using the rubber band method and i think the road gets a lot hotter than 60c in the summer tyres and tubes seem to hold up to that .
if it wont work some one tell me now befor i go any further . 60c is not that hot ( actually on its maiden test run today the thermostat cut off the juice at 64.2 degrees air temp in the box ).
i do have a boat load of those spring clamps which would be another alternative , i would have to put a stack of holes in the form for those to locate into .

johno

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon May 06, 2013 8:56 pm

Looks like you have done a good job on the oven Johno. I look forward to seeing some of your cooking when you get around to it. :mrgreen:

Jeff

Flatliner

#11 Post by Flatliner » Mon May 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Nice one Texx. What are the bulbs you are using? Im gona run out of the old incandesant ones soon so need to look into alternatives.
As for the rubber band method I've never tried it, allways had doubts about maintaining even pressure over the whole bow,but others use it and have success.

Rob.
The shortest distance between two points is a FLATLINE
ImageEmail; robnicoll(at)bigpond(dot)com
www.flatlinebows.com.au

texx

#12 Post by texx » Tue May 07, 2013 7:19 am

Flatliner wrote:Nice one Texx. What are the bulbs you are using? Im gona run out of the old incandesant ones soon so need to look into alternatives.
As for the rubber band method I've never tried it, allways had doubts about maintaining even pressure over the whole bow,but others use it and have success.

Rob.
yeah they are getting harder to get hold of . i was lucky a while back i bought all our local sparky had cos i wanted them for a incubator and chicken brooder , they are 100w down spot lights general electric older type.
i have a couple of ceramic heat lamps that could work also, you can get those from pet shops , however they do need a special heat proof fitting .i would ask any electrical shop or sparkey you come across if they have any of the old style bulbs and buy them all and stash them .
has anyone tried small electric bar heaters or fan heaters hooked up to a thermostat yet ????

johno

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue May 07, 2013 11:09 am

Ay mate,the oven looks good,you should have no trouble with the inner tube mate,just criss cross it from side to side and pull down tight,i've probably done more than 30 bows including a couple of curves using the rubber no problems the air hose is better though ,how far apart are you putting the pegs :?:

bigbob

#14 Post by bigbob » Mon May 13, 2013 4:25 pm

Flatliner wrote:Nice one Texx. What are the bulbs you are using? Im gona run out of the old incandesant ones soon so need to look into alternatives.

Rob.
Rob I did use the incandescent 100w bulbs but went to halogen 75w with exactly the same result.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#15 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon May 13, 2013 9:44 pm

That's right Bob,as my old bulbs blow I replace them with halogen bulbs :wink: