Shoot A Bow For Fun.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Shoot A Bow For Fun.

#1 Post by greybeard » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:04 pm

Make your own selfbow similar to those used in the 1930/40’s.

The plans are easy to follow and the bows can be made using basic tools. If you have power tools available the job will be made easier.

For those who have not shot selfbows this is an opportunity to experience an enjoyable aspect of archery and they are good fun at trad shoots.
Popular_ Mechanics 1941.jpg
Popular_ Mechanics 1941.jpg (158.67 KiB) Viewed 5414 times
If you would like a copy of the complete file [pdf 940 kb and you will be able to read the dimensions] p.m. your email address and I will forward it. The file also contains making a simple fletching jig, footing arrows etc.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

lanky

Re: Shoot A Bow For Fun.

#2 Post by lanky » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:39 pm

Thanks for posting!!, love the Robin Hood pic too!!
Wherever you go......there you are!

Bent Stick

#3 Post by Bent Stick » Fri Apr 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Great post Daryl, much appreciated.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

Buranurra

#4 Post by Buranurra » Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:41 pm

Nice find Daryl! You bewdy, I am gunna send you a PM so I can get the full file!
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

discord

#5 Post by discord » Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:39 pm

That's awesome :biggrin:

I'll go to Bunnings tomorrow and ask for a dollar's worth of lemonwood, eh? :lol:
HAIL ERIS!

looseplucker

#6 Post by looseplucker » Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:36 pm

Way cool Daryl - I have the Popular Mechanics one on making a takedown hunting bow as well as that one (and the plans for making a semi-automatic crossbow). I often refer to both of the schematics when planning a bow. Great call.
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

yeoman

#7 Post by yeoman » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:55 am

Looks good Daryl. I'd be interested in the fletching jig and footed arrow bits especially.

Dave
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials

rodlonq

#8 Post by rodlonq » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:19 am

Great post Daryl, thank you.

Cheers..... Rod

yeoman

#9 Post by yeoman » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Daryl,

you mentioned in the email you didn't know the mechanical properties of Lemonwood.

As it happens, I have some data. Four samples were tested some years ago by Tim Baker. Samples were heartwood and sapwood, of a reasonable moisture content. Here are the stats:

Avg MoE: 12204 MPa
Avg MoR: 102 MPa
Avg density: 1.02 x water (only available from two of the samples)

I calculate an efficient working stress of lemonwood being around 75 MPa.

What does this actually mean? Well, its mass compares to some Spotted Gum, but has a stiffness about 50% of the SG I've tested. The working stress is close to the same. From this, it is demonstrable that for a given cross sectional dimension, Lemonwood can be bent further without taking a set. Alternatively, for a given bend radius, Lemonwood can be thicker. Which in bow making is highly desirable.

Dave

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by greybeard » Sat Apr 20, 2013 7:19 pm

I have emailed the PDF to those who requested a copy.

Just as a point of interest for those who may not be aware;

Both bows have three features in common, braced profile, length and are shot off the hand.

The flat bow is not considered a longbow because the limbs are wider than the handle and the limb cross section is a flattish rectangular shape.

At present I am making a hickory, vertical bamboo and hard rock maple tri lam longbow using the 1 : .625 ratio, sometimes referred to as a 5/8 ratio.

Would anyone like a build a long with photos of this project?

Daryl.

Dave, Thank you for the stats.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Ronster

#11 Post by Ronster » Sat Apr 20, 2013 9:05 pm

Magic Daryl, this is what archery forums are for! Great for everyone.

Rontser
I would love to be an expert, but experience and lack of knowledge holds me back!

Bows:-
Raven Vanquish 62" TD Recurve 44# @ 28"
Beaver 64" Longbow 41# @ 27"
Bear Montana 64" Longbow 50# @ 28"
Win & Win Winact ILF Riser and Win & Win Pro accent ILF carbon foam limbs 48# @ 28"

looseplucker

#12 Post by looseplucker » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:42 pm

Daryl - I always like to see your buildalongs. Looking forward to it.

I will have some more pics of both my bows on my "After a Break" thread - I did split the thread but they've been spliced for continuity.

hazard

#13 Post by hazard » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:58 pm

greybeard wrote:At present I am making a hickory, vertical bamboo and hard rock maple tri lam longbow using the 1 : .625 ratio, sometimes referred to as a 5/8 ratio.

Would anyone like a build a long with photos of this project?
Daryl
I reckon that would be fantastic, your hands on experience stands very well in my opinion.

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

looseplucker

#14 Post by looseplucker » Thu May 09, 2013 2:37 pm

A buildalong would be great Daryl. Looking forward to it.

RobHunter

#15 Post by RobHunter » Thu May 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Hey Daryl

Love to see another buildalong. Especially like to see some of the design principals in Wood thickness calculation.

BTW alot of the Popular Mechanics are available to view on Google books. Some are preview - ie missing some pages, but alot of older ones seem
to be whole. 1905 is the oldest I've found - anyone remember then? :D

There is a way to download them (google books downloader is one), but I'm not sure of legalities. I think the copyright ends after a certain amount of time, that would explain why older ones can be viewed completely.

The ones during the wars are recommended. Also worth looking at the adverts lol.

Rgds

Rob

looseplucker

#16 Post by looseplucker » Thu May 09, 2013 3:32 pm

@Rob. you used to be able to download PDFs of the archery ones - I did - so I have the one that Daryl has posted on and I have another about making take down hunting bows - even how to make your own sleeve and socket combo. Brilliant stuff.

brenno

#17 Post by brenno » Sat May 11, 2013 12:55 pm

Hi Folks
Brand new here - 1st post. I'm in South West WA. Near Harvey. I'm new to archery, but I'm a craftsman through (A Professional Custom Swordmaker), so I'm excited to start making my own bows too. I found this same article a week or so ago and have been studying it and purchasing gear and am starting my first bow today. I'll start with a flatbow.
Anyway. Just wanted to say G'day. I haven't found an intro thread, but I've only just started to delve the depths of this forum. Looks like a good place to study though :-)

I will have to hit up loose plucker for those other PDF's in the series too if I may.
Cheers
Brendan

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun May 12, 2013 5:33 pm

Welcome to Ozbow Brendan.

Jeff

texx

#19 Post by texx » Sun May 12, 2013 8:59 pm

thanks very much :biggrin: :biggrin:
always seems to happen when its least expected most

brenno

#20 Post by brenno » Mon May 13, 2013 2:14 pm

Thanks Jeff :-)
My first build went very well - based on the Shoot a bow for fun PDF. I'll create a thread and show it soon - maybe once I get a proper string and fire a few arrows to be sure it's not kidding me. :-)
Last edited by brenno on Mon May 13, 2013 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon May 13, 2013 2:24 pm

I look forward to seeing the photos of your bow Brendan. What part of the the country do you live in?

Jeff

brenno

#22 Post by brenno » Mon May 13, 2013 2:39 pm

Hi Jeff
I'm near Bunbury, south of Perth.

I used Red Oak from Masters for my Bow. I managed to find a couple of pieces with grain running straight down the sides of the full length. 19mm x 42mm x 1800.
Worked very nicely. The risers are Jarrah. I've done some decorative carvings here and there on the risers and belly side of the leaf springs (limbs?).
I'm 178cm tall. I made the flatbow at 172cm long with 167 between the nocks.

I'm not 100% clear on where the draw length is measured; From the back or from the nearest point of the belly? For reach it makes sense that it would be the nearest part of the belly. For arrow sizing the back would be most relevant. Hmm.

Anyway on my tillering stick it's pulling 22kg at 29" from the belly. I need to get a fishing scale. At the moment I'm hanging weights off the string.
I expect as the timber relaxes into it's new job that weight will drop a little. I'm a beefy strong guy but I need to build up the drawing muscles. I was wavering a bit holding the draw for 30 seconds. Trying to keep it on a mark.

As a swordmaker I was pleasantly surprised to see how much of my craft carried over to the flatbow.
The principles of the leaf spring are very much like sword blades - seeking a constant degree of flex through the spring considering Profile and Distal taper.
And the technique of stock removal I did much the same as my scabbards. Using my 72x2" beltgrinder with a flat platen and tool rest set square. I was able to produce limbs which were dead square so no twisting - my makeshift nylon string sights straight down the centre.

I've stocked up on White Oak, plus one stave of Ash and one stave of Cherry, from Carbatec which are sadly running out their exotic wood stock now. At least we have Masters for Red Oak.
I will try the stacked longbow design next at 183cm o/all.
:-)

Great fun. I haven't even shot a bow since highschool PE. I look forward to getting into it. I have the land if I can clear a shooting range from horses. Going to buy some arrows now...

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#23 Post by greybeard » Mon May 13, 2013 5:04 pm

Hi Brendan, welcome to Ozbow.

The attached file should help you out with bow terminology, it is not the latest version but should cover most of your questions.

Daryl.
AMOStandards.pdf
(125.52 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
[Ascham]

yeoman

#24 Post by yeoman » Mon May 13, 2013 6:55 pm

Brenno, good work on your first bow.

Red Oak? Really? From Masters? I had a look at one on this side of the country the other day and the mos exotic timber they had was Merbau. Was it kept out with the rest of the decking or hidden somewhere special? I'll need to have another look.

A sword maker, eh? That is super cool. Do you have a website? I make a bit of 15thC Gothic armour when I can and there's a knife smith down the road from me that would like to break into a bit of sword smithy.

I imagine there would be quite a bit of crossover between forging a sword and tillering a bow. Very careful attention to width and thickness for carefully considered bend throughout its length are important for both.

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Dave

brenno

#25 Post by brenno » Tue May 14, 2013 12:08 am

I've created a new thread for my first build, rather than continue to derail this thread.
Please view it here: http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=13839

Daryl and Dave; I've addressed your posts there. Cheers :-)