A tip for 'superglue' users

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Buranurra

A tip for 'superglue' users

#1 Post by Buranurra » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:38 pm

Hi All,

Many of you might already know this but here is a tip that I learnt many years ago when I built balsa model aircraft. Cyanoacrylate glues go "stale" a few months after opening. You can prolong their life considerably if you keep it in the refrigerator. You should remove from the fridge one hour before using and then put back in the fridge afterwards. Saves $$.

Cheers

Jase
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: A tip for 'superglue' users

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Nov 06, 2012 4:34 pm

Good tip mate. I have done that for years but I don't think I have ever used up a bottle before it went off. :sad: I have recently found small bottles of Loctite at Bunnings which should help in that regard.

I'll add another tip; don't get it in your eye - not good! :shock: Yeah I know from experience. :oops:

Jeff

AndyD

#3 Post by AndyD » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:03 pm

Are you sure?
I was a model builder for a number of years and never had a tube go stale.
I used the Zap product range - super thin, medium and thick gel no problems for long periods.
I actually found that provided the nozzle and lid where fastidiously wiped clean then they would last for 6+ months. And then becuase they ran out rather then went "stale"
Also when glueing a number of items put a dob onto an icecream lid and used a sharpened match stick - if you use the bottle, leaving it open between applications, it will dry out. Perhaps this is what you mean by stale?
Cheers
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

Buranurra

#4 Post by Buranurra » Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:31 pm

AndyD wrote:Are you sure?
I was a model builder for a number of years and never had a tube go stale.
I used the Zap product range - super thin, medium and thick gel no problems for long periods.
I actually found that provided the nozzle and lid where fastidiously wiped clean then they would last for 6+ months. And then becuase they ran out rather then went "stale"
Also when glueing a number of items put a dob onto an icecream lid and used a sharpened match stick - if you use the bottle, leaving it open between applications, it will dry out. Perhaps this is what you mean by stale?
Cheers
Hi Andy,

Actually Zap is what I used and the owner of the shop told be to do exactly this, apparently the cyano becomes less effective after a couple of months. I have certainly notice the bond is less strong with older tubes. I know this as I use it all the time to repair toys my young one repeatedly breaks.
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28