Finishes and fillers

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

dan76

Finishes and fillers

#1 Post by dan76 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:50 pm

Hey guys

I really would like to know what people are using as a finish on there bows and also what you are using as a grain filler for open pored woods like wenge. There seems to be an over abundance of products available in America but not so much over here. Rod has offered some advice in the form of a type of marine poly which looks good and I came across some products used by guitar makers that look nice especially the grain filler.http://www.guitaraust.com.au/finishing/ ... iller.html

Thanks in advance
Dan

bigbob

Re: Finishes and fillers

#2 Post by bigbob » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:20 am

I use multiple coats of Minwax, which is a hand rubbed poly . Looks great rubbed down between each coat. After a few it gets great depth. For grain filling on mongrel grained timber like Wenge, I have several coats superglue rubbed back each time, making sure to only sand with the grain and never against ,but also if you have smooth-on epoxy glue then diluted with de natured alcohol is even better. Poured on whole riser and left overnight and sanded.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Rich

#3 Post by Rich » Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:47 am

Multiple coats of danish, wet sanded with a fine grit paper between coats.

Then I rub and polish a finish of beeswax dissolved in a little turps.

It's simple but very time consuming.

I did a quick search and I found a process similar to what I use: http://woodworking.com/ww/Article/Super ... _7507.aspx

I've never applied it to wenge, but I think I will soon...

dan76

#4 Post by dan76 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 4:07 pm

I found an article some where that said you can grain fill with the poly finish you are going to use as a final coat by simply thinning by 25% and applying then rubbing back a couple of times until you are satisfied then applying top coat as normal at normal thickness. Does that sound like it would work well, because it sounds easy enough and you don't need any extra products.

Dan

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:04 pm

Like Bob I use the Minwax wipeon poly. I apply about 30 coats over 2 weeks and the grain is filled(Wenge excluded) and you have a durable finish and the timber feature is amazing. Cheers Steve

Buranurra

#6 Post by Buranurra » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:28 pm

I have used Feast Watson sanding sealer on timber projects with good results, I assume it would be suitable but I have no experience in bowyers craft.

http://www.feastwatson.com.au/SealerFil ... Sealer.asp
Predator: Custom, 60", 42# and 57# @28
Toelke: Whip Custom 62", 57# @28
Jack B Harrison : El Lobo 62", 58# @28

bear74

#7 Post by bear74 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:20 pm

A general clean up of the bow every now and then will help to spot any finish violations you may have over looked Then it is good to hand rub it all over with (my preference) a 50/50 mix of eucalyptus oil and bees wax (heat the wax then add the oil and it will cool to a soapy consistency). This also repels moisture and reduces reflection
from mark kimber
IF IT'S FERAL, IT'S IN PERIL!

clinton miller

#8 Post by clinton miller » Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:15 pm

POR15 glisten PC.
rock hard finish. water clear too
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string