Kid self bows

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

OZZZZZZ

Kid self bows

#1 Post by OZZZZZZ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 8:51 pm

do any of you know how to do a fairly powerful bow for a twelve yr old kid. some where between twenty and thirty pounds at twenty inches

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Kid self bows

#2 Post by greybeard » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:03 pm

If you are making the bow out of a milled board I would suggest the pyramid shape or the rectangular cross section flat bow.

To accommodate the 20” draw length I think 48 to 50 inches n to n should be sufficient.

From memory Roscoe who is a member on this site has been successful in making pyramid bows for his children.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

OZZZZZZ

#3 Post by OZZZZZZ » Fri Dec 02, 2011 7:32 pm

thx a lot im twelve and just making my first bow out of spotted gum. its about 55inches and once im finished im gonna glue on a riser and hopefully ill have a nice homemade bow.

Charlie

hazard

#4 Post by hazard » Fri Dec 02, 2011 8:39 pm

OZZZZZZ wrote:thx a lot im twelve and just making my first bow out of spotted gum. its about 55inches and once im finished im gonna glue on a riser and hopefully ill have a nice homemade bow.

Charlie
Impressive mate you are doing at 12 what others are only discovering at 40 :shock:

Well done mate

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

Bent Stick

#5 Post by Bent Stick » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:47 pm

Your a champion Charlie, good luck with it mate if at first you don't succeed try, try and try again.
Look forward to seeing your results.
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons

OZZZZZZ

#6 Post by OZZZZZZ » Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:05 pm

thx for the encouragement it really helps. it's also a time of thinking for me when I get up early and start hacking away. You guys are my source of info if I get stuck you guys have nothin but help so far. I'll see if I can post some piccies soon

Charlie

looseplucker

#7 Post by looseplucker » Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:13 pm

Gday Ozz

I've made a lot of kids bows for my boy William, who is a year younger than you but with a similar draw. These have all been made from boo floorboard. One is a pyramid, the other is an ELB. The ELB has a laminate of osage in it and backed with bamboo pole while the pyramid is backed with Auscam from my old pair of pants when I was in the Reserve. Both shoot between 15# and 20# or so.

If you want to experiment with the bamboo floorboard send me a PM and I'll send you the dimensions of the bows. We are currently planning a new bow - pyramid with recurve tips backed with osage.

Good luck with your project. Hope you get a shooter!
Are you well informed or is your news limited?

OZZZZZZ

#8 Post by OZZZZZZ » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:47 am

I have to say i dont know what a pyramid bow is but if you can PM me the dimensions ill see if i can get the boo boards.

Charlie

Bill
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Bill » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:07 am

:smile: Hi there Charlie,
Where do you live, :?: if you don't want to announce it here, then pm me your details.
I have a stack of Boo Boards, I'm giving them away and if it's at all possible, you could come and get some, to make that Pyramid bow looseplucker speaks of. 8)

Ok; all the best for now,

regards,.........Bill

JoeLethbridge

#10 Post by JoeLethbridge » Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:36 pm

I reckon that a 12yr old would want a 24/26 inch draw [ I have a little experience with this as I have recently turned 13]. :smile: All the best, Joe.

Axefanatic

#11 Post by Axefanatic » Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:48 am

Nice thread resurrection! 3 days short of 12 months!

Not trying to be mean either.... I may have neglected to check the last post date on the odd reply or two in my time.:oops:
Give a man fire, he'll be warm for a few hours. Set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

yeoman

#12 Post by yeoman » Wed Dec 19, 2012 3:18 pm

Axefanatic...I was just about to jump in and volunteer for some of those bamboo boards, until you highlighted the age of the thread.

Shame, that!

OZZZZZZZ, did you end up making a bow?
https://www.instagram.com/armworks_australia/

Bow making courses, knife making courses, armour making courses and more:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/

Articles to start making bows:
http://www.tharwavalleyforge.com/index. ... /tutorials