Hard Rock Maple ‘D’ Section Longbow.

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Hard Rock Maple ‘D’ Section Longbow.

#1 Post by greybeard » Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:18 pm

This particular bow making exercise was a result of the following posting; follow the link for full details.

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11225

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
Looks good Daryl. How do you find the Maple on the belly as I have find it doesn't take compression very well at all; at least not in an all Maple bow.
Jeff
Thanks for the feed back Daryl.

greybeard wrote:
As a point of interest I will make an all maple 'D' section longbow to see if can handle the compression.
That will test it out for sure!
Jeff

I found the off-cut length of maple slightly over 1" square in the wood heap and to my dismay the grain orientation was about 45 degrees edge to edge and displayed a bit of a banana bend.

Having committed myself to the challenge I had to carry on.

Initially I was going to post a reply along the line of; yes, it works or I have kindling for the fireplace. I decided to do a bit of a "build-a-long" hoping that it may encourage others to have a go.

To make the test credible? I had to work out the parameters of the design.
The following is from "Wiki". I cannot vouch for its accuracy but there appears to be little information on this topic.

"Organizations which run archery competitions have set out formal definitions for the various classes; many definitions of the longbow would exclude some medieval examples, materials, and techniques of use. According to the British Longbow Society, the English longbow is made so that its thickness is at least ~ (62.5%) of its width, as in Victorian longbows, and is widest at the handle. This differs from the medieval longbow, which had a thickness between 33% and 75% of the width. Also, the Victorian longbow does not bend throughout the entire length, as does the medieval longbow."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Victorian_era

I believe that bowyers of the day would have modified the design to suit the particular stave.

As a side issue you may wish to check out the following link.

http://www.bowyers.com/affiliations/craftGuild.html

Hard Maple (Acer saccharum) Common Name(s): Hard Maple, Sugar Maple, Rock Maple Scientific Name: Acer saccharum Distribution: Northeastern United States Tree Size: 80-115 ft (25-35 m) tall, 2-3 ft (.6-1.0 m) trunk diameter Average Dried Weight: 44 lbs/ft3 (705 kg/m3) Basic Specific Gravity: .56 Hardness: 1,450 lbf (6,450 N) Rupture Strength: 15,800 lbf/in2 (108,970 kPa) Elastic Strength: 1,830,000 lbf/in2 (12,620 MPa) Shrinkage: Radial : 4.8%, Tangential: 9.9%, Volumetric: 14.7%, T/R Ratio: 2.1

The timber was cut to 74" to cater for a bow 72" n to n.
A stringline was run end to end to obtain true centre and a line drawn. A half way mark was drawn on what would be the back of the bow and other markings placed at 6" spacings [used as reference points] to the end of the timber. The plan of the bow was marked out and cut to shape. A side profile was marked out and cut.

My initial thoughts were to go with the 62.5% but as I was working down to that percentage I was running out of wood. I decided to go with previous experiences and learnt knowledge. The finished bow is borderline medieval at 76% to 78% over the length of the bow.

Basic tools can produce a working selfbow. The finished bow was achieved by using accurate measurements rather than numerous trips to the tiller board. The board was used in the initial stages to get the stave to brace height so a suitable length string could be made.

A sharp finely set spokeshave and sand paper do all the work.
Basic Tools.JPG
Basic Tools.JPG (113.29 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
Marking Belly And Sides For Profile.jpg
Marking Belly And Sides For Profile.jpg (29.71 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
Side Profile Plan.jpg
Side Profile Plan.jpg (21.32 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
Limb Cross Section.jpg
Limb Cross Section.jpg (10.45 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
Results From A Sharp Spokeshave.jpg
Results From A Sharp Spokeshave.jpg (87.52 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
Shaping D Section.jpg
Shaping D Section.jpg (45.84 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
When you have spokeshaved to the marks round off the edges by gentle spokeshaving or sanding. Repeat this process to get the bow to the desired poundage. Keep in mind that a bow will shed in the vicinity of 5 pounds during the shooting in process.
Checking Limb Tiller.jpg
Checking Limb Tiller.jpg (42.26 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
Using this method you can keep track of tiller changes as you shoot in the bow and make any adjustments if needed.
Braced Bow.jpg
Braced Bow.jpg (33.38 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
The bow is braced at 6".

The bow does not have a designated handle so you have to work out the arrow pass and nocking point.
Working Out Hand Placement And Nocking Point.JPG
Working Out Hand Placement And Nocking Point.JPG (88.21 KiB) Viewed 3011 times
At this stage no chrysals have appeared on the belly so the bow will get a thorough workout at the range on Wendesday.

The bow shoots well and at a all up cost of about $15.00 I have a bargain.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Thu Oct 20, 2011 9:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Steven J

Re: Hard Rock Maple ‘D’ Section Longbow.

#2 Post by Steven J » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:12 pm

Looks great Daryl. $15 bucks hey. I'll offer you $20 and you can call that a profit :lol:

Well done mate.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

perry

#3 Post by perry » Sun Aug 14, 2011 10:29 pm

Evening Greybeard - Nice Armguard mate 8) and looks like a nice Bow is starting to emerge there as well Daryl. Will we see it at the Corrival ?? I would suggest that you continue to tiller the Bow so that the last 5 or 6" of each limb are not bending as you have eluded too. You'll find it will need a more circular tiller. I have made similar Bows and built the handle section up for a more comfortable grip with layers of cork tile that I've rounded off and then bound with string.

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:05 pm

The bow looks good Daryl; it will be interesting to see how the Maple holds up. What is your draw length and what was the draw weight?

Jeff

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:33 am

Morning All
Steven J wrote:Looks great Daryl. $15 bucks hey. I'll offer you $20 and you can call that a profit :lol:
Hmmm...... That would $15 in timber, $1200 in labour and a pack of Assorted Creams.

Another example of just how good Greybeard is at making bows.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Steven J

#6 Post by Steven J » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:25 am

I guess that means the price is set at $1215 then. Would you be happy with that price Daryl?

Seriously though, it is a fine effort. Any all timber bow, self or laminated, takes a high degree of skill to accomplish and I take my hat of to you.

To add to the knowledge pool, my daughters first bow which was more of a pyramid style bow had a rock maple belly. I backed it with linen and have found even then that the belly has showed no signs of compression failure. Kids bows are generally overbuilt and therefore last well, however I really worked this one down to a scale model of an adult sized bow. (The bow eventually did fail when an interested staff member saw it unstrung on my desk at work and tried to draw the bow :cry: :cry:)

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

bigbob

#7 Post by bigbob » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:16 am

Looks good Daryl, love the way you layed out each limb profile to check tiller.Good stuff for a novice bow maker.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

stringnstik

#8 Post by stringnstik » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:19 am

Another great bow, congrats Greybeard
"I am the arrow..the arrow is me...together as one...I fly to thee"
"the stick maybe crooked and the string hath no form,
then married by bowyer, transforms when first drawn"
"twang....thud"

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by greybeard » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:26 pm

Thank you for the comments.

Creating working selfbows is the ultimate challenge for a bowyer.

It has been some years since my last one and found that I had to refresh the grey matter.

Jeff,

The draw length of the bow in the photo was 26½", checked it out today, arrows 30½" overall. Normally my draw length is 27½" but ongoing wrist problems are creating difficulties. Pulled down on the bow scales it came out at 36# @ 28".

I was disappointed at this low reading but in hindsight I was restricted by the width of the off-cut that I had to play with and my miss reading of the 5:8 rule [not less than].

The integrety of the bow will be tested on Wednesday when gentlemen with a 28" plus draw length can give it a good workout.

In hindsight I would have chosen a different cross section profile [in the 5:8 = 62.5% rule] but the exercise was to see if hard rock maple could handle the compression factor in a deeper cross sectioned bow.

With timber having similar properties and size to the piece that I had to work with pushing a bow to the 50# range I believe could have problems.

I would not be too hasty to discount rock maple as a suitable material for longbows but careful selection of the board and bow design would be paramount. Being such a massive tree one has no idea of which part of the tree the board came from. A split bush billet would be another story.

Perry,

On closer inspection of the last 8" of limb profile they are more [shouldered] than the rest of the bow. I will correct this stuff-up before reducing the belly.

If we do not succeed in destroying the bow on Wednesday I will bring it up to the Corrival.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:35 pm

Thanks for info Daryl. Even with a 28" draw the bow won't be under a lot of load but it will be interesting to see how it goes.

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#11 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Looks good Daryl..... :wink:

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#12 Post by greybeard » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:07 pm

I had time to play around with the bow this morning.

Reworked the outer eight to ten inches of the limbs and decided to put some arrows through the chronograph. Reworking the tips made for a smoother shooting bow. A Fastflite Flemish twist string will make it better.

Compared to laminated glass bows the numbers aren't big but with a selfbow in the low 30#s and pushing 13 grains per pound I was reasonably happy. Good form may have gained a few extra fps.
136.jpg
136.jpg (65.22 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
137.jpg
137.jpg (72.99 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
140.jpg
140.jpg (77.24 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
So far the belly has retained its integrety.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Ascham]

bigbob

#13 Post by bigbob » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Good stuff, look forward to eyeing it at Corrival.
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#14 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:29 pm

nothing wrong with that Daryl :D

GrahameA

#15 Post by GrahameA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:38 pm

Afternoon All.

It works. On a Field Shoot today Daryl shot it and landed on the Target.

I shot Indoors @18m with a spare set of arrows and after 3 shots I could keep every arrow within a 150mm circle, most were within a 75mm circle. That was without a nocking point so the bow shoots fine. p.s. I was drawing it out to a full 28". There is no sign of failure ..... so far.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

bigbob

#16 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:49 pm

what's that little post rider 'so far,' oh ye of little faith? :shock: :lol:
razorbows.com

terryzac

#17 Post by terryzac » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:51 pm

looks the goods darryl. looking foward to seeing it on the weekend

terry

hazard

#18 Post by hazard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:22 pm

Daryl
Every time I reckon I have a plan set in my head what I want to build when I get the time, you put something very interesting up like this and I am back to the drawing board! :roll:

Man you gotta love this forum! 8)

Love your work Daryl :D

Hazard
Politics is a game played by dishonest people to gain an unfair advantage!

Never under estimate the strength of a cornered coward.

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

http://www.bowmanstaxidermy.com.au

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#19 Post by greybeard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:46 pm

As Grahame has mentioned the bow had a good workout this morning.

I am happy :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: with the feel of the bow and for what it is it shoots well. It is a pity the archer is not as good :oops: :oops: :oops: . Hit some targets well and on others I had the concentration span of a dead ant.

I increased the brace height to 6¼" and it draws 36# @ 28" and added some padded leather in the grip area for comfort.
Leather Wrap.JPG
Leather Wrap.JPG (45.46 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
Tip overlays are black wattle.
Black Wattle Tip Overlay.JPG
Black Wattle Tip Overlay.JPG (34.14 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
Bees wax and carnauba wax was rubbed in to seal the wood.
At present string follow has settled at 1 1/8".
The bow is kind in the hand and there is no sign of chrysaling.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[Ascham]

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#20 Post by greybeard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:59 pm

hazard wrote:Daryl
Every time I reckon I have a plan set in my head what I want to build when I get the time, you put something very interesting up like this and I am back to the drawing board! :roll:

Hazard
A bow such as this can be done quite easily [time wise]. You will be amazed at what you can achieve in half hour or hourly blocks.

I cant vouch for others but I find that spokeshaving and sanding selfbows is relaxing, benificial therapy and rewarding.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

bigbob

#21 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:12 pm

greybeard wrote:
hazard wrote:Daryl

Hazard
find that spokeshaving and sanding selfbows is relaxing, benificiaA bow such as this can be done quite easily [time wise]. You will be amazed at what you can achieve in half hour or hourly blocks.

I cant vouch for others but I l therapy and rewarding.

Daryl.
Also dont get that damn fibreglass itch either. sawdust not so bad!
razorbows.com

GrahameA

#22 Post by GrahameA » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:23 pm

Hi Bob
bigbob wrote:what's that little post rider 'so far,' oh ye of little faith? :shock: :lol:
All self bows are doomed. It is only a matter of when. I have few and my view is to know when to put them up on the rack.

This afternoon i was shooting my tri-lam and put probably a couple of hundred arrows through it. Plus I was shooting this morning. With that sort of load they suffer and it will eventually let down to a level where I will stop shooting it or it will break. So I try to restrict myself in using it so it lasts a few years. My war bow is still going strong but I try to use a minimum amount - it would a challenge to find another piece of Ash with grain as good as the one I have.
Grahame.

bigbob

#23 Post by bigbob » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:59 pm

'All self bows are doomed' !All manner of life is finite, its just the degree of limitations that hurt.Take your point though.
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#24 Post by greybeard » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:13 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Bob
bigbob wrote:what's that little post rider 'so far,' oh ye of little faith? :shock: :lol:
All self bows are doomed. It is only a matter of when. I have few and my view is to know when to put them up on the rack.

This afternoon i was shooting my tri-lam and put probably a couple of hundred arrows through it. Plus I was shooting this morning. With that sort of load they suffer and it will eventually let down to a level where I will stop shooting it or it will break. So I try to restrict myself in using it so it lasts a few years. My war bow is still going strong but I try to use a minimum amount - it would a challenge to find another piece of Ash with grain as good as the one I have.
Bob, I agree with you "oh ye of little faith?"

Grahame, most things in life have a 'use by/best by' date.

'All self bows are doomed.'

I disagree! They may lose in the performace stakes, but like humans as we get older our performance goes into a decline.

I may have to Google 'Viagra for selfbows'.

On a more serious note I believe that we continue to make selfbows because we understand some of the problems associated with selfbows.

I am confident that the bow will survive Caboolture, Wisemans Ferry, Gympie and many more trad shoots.

As an extra challenge I will use this bow exclusively to Xmas.

I will wager a packet of my Country Cottage Triple Choc Cookies against your Arnotts Assorted Cream Biscuits.

Life is wonderful.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

perry

#25 Post by perry » Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:30 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Bob

I simply can not agree.

made DECEMBER 1996 and still shootin

I only have 3 Selfbows on my Bowrack at the moment Grahame, The oldest I made in December 1996 from Pink Ash, the next December 1998 from Brigalow and the last, another Brigalow Bow, June around the year 2000 at the Abbey Fayre. All 3 have shot a great many arrows, certainly in multile 10's of thousands for the Brigalow Bow's. Those 2 Brigalow Bows where 2 of very few Bows I shot for 6 or 7 years. The Pink Ash Bow has not had as much work but still thousands of Arrows. It was a Lumpy worn eaten Stave that I was told would not make a durable Bow - 2011 and it's still going.

Sure an improperly tillered, poorly designed Selfbow is Doomed but a well tillered, well designed and cared for Selfbow will last Decades. Sure a well used Selfbow will have a degree of String Follow - so what - it sweetens them up. String follow does not continue to increase the more a well tillered and designed Selfbow is shot unless you are abusing it. It reaches a point were the distribution of stress is equalized. You could say string follow stops when the Bow is shot in.

I guess if any of these Bows do ever Fail I will need to dust off my Machete and Farriers rasp and console myself with a Brewed Coffee and 2 packets of Homebrand Tim Tams, cause they taste the same and cost 1/2 as much

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

GrahameA

#26 Post by GrahameA » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:03 am

Morning Daryl and Perry.

Daryl - whilst that sounds like a wonderful offer I know how few arrows you shoot. It will be barely shot-in this time next year.

Perry - you could agree if you really wanted to. I too have a few bows that have survived, probably more because I have stopped shooting them as much as anything else. I also remember a few bows that have not survived.

Better design and more appropriate timbers extend the life but in the end ........
Grahame.

bigbob

#27 Post by bigbob » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:36 am

Gee Grahame, if you extend that philosophy to life then its not worth drawing that first breath' cause we're all gonna cark it in the end! :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
razorbows.com

GrahameA

#28 Post by GrahameA » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Afternoon All
bigbob wrote:Gee Grahame, if you extend that philosophy to life then its not worth drawing that first breath' cause we're all gonna cark it in the end! :roll: :roll: :mrgreen: :lol:
Yep. The important thing is what you do between those two events.
Grahame.

bigbob

#29 Post by bigbob » Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:33 pm

Also I would think it is how far apart one can manipulate the eventualities. :) :)
razorbows.com

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#30 Post by greybeard » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:18 pm

Grahame,

People go to an electrical appliance outlet to buy a toaster or electric jug etc and even before they get to the cash register they know the items are destined to fail over time. Why do the buy them?

I believe "doomed" is the wrong terminology; we need to encourage people to make selfbows.

Perhaps wording such as "the useful lifespan of the bow is governed by the selection of timber, limb design and patience and care when making the bow." Haste makes waste.

This afternoon i was shooting my tri-lam and put probably a couple of hundred arrows through it. Plus I was shooting this morning. With that sort of load they suffer and it will eventually let down to a level where I will stop shooting it or it will break.

Grahame, as you are aware the bow was badly tillered but from day but one you did not bother to correct this issue so failure is probably inevitable. Time and patience is a virtue required when making selfbows or laminated wood bows.

My war bow is still going strong but I try to use a minimum amount - it would a challenge to find another piece of Ash with grain as good as the one I have.

Shoot the bow for the enjoyment that it gives; if it breaks make another one. You might even find a better piece of ash.

Daryl - whilst that sounds like a wonderful offer I know how few arrows you shoot. It will be barely shot-in this time next year.

I accept the fact that I am still a novice when it comes to making selfbows but I have a system in place where the bow is "shot in" before it gets a visit to the range. At times minor adjustments may be necessary.

From the selfbows that you have made what is the "magic number" of arrows that need to be shot to determine when the bow is shot in? Or do you just keep shooting it until it fails?

Daryl.
[Ascham]