Making your own Spine Jig

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Making your own Spine Jig

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:41 pm

This article is a slightly modified reproduction of the original which was written by Kev Whiting and which first appeared in the Australian Bowhunter magazine, issues number 9 and 10 in 1976.
Australian Bowhunter spine jig article.pdf
(965.48 KiB) Downloaded 1228 times

ontothepigs

Re: Making your own Spine Jig

#2 Post by ontothepigs » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Great, thanks for that.

Cheers
Flatline #52
Java man Falcon #52 @ 29, 60"

ed

#3 Post by ed » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:19 am

Not that there is anything wrong with this type of spine jig - a tried and tested system, but there is a simpler option.

For those a little less technically inclined, a few years ago on tradgang there was a thread about the simplest jig I have seen and I have used it ever since. You put a wooden "U" shaped bracket on a board on the wall - just big enough so that your shaft can fit in it snugly for an an inch. Then hang a weight, in this case and mine ever since has been a spanner, from the other end. Very easy to get a scale by using shafts of known spine and marking their bend level on the backing board.

DrAK DaRippa

#4 Post by DrAK DaRippa » Sat Mar 14, 2015 6:11 pm

this is excellent, i've been wanting to make a spine jig for a while, just needed a copy of that deflection chart. thanks very much