Home made rabbit smashers

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

andy80

Home made rabbit smashers

#1 Post by andy80 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:25 am

Clint Miller gave me the idea to make these. A modified version of woodies SGB's. They are a 250g field point with 4mm rod inserted. I then cut the field point down until they are the same weight as my broadheads. They fly great and hit hard. Cant wait to try them on bunnies.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Home made rabbit smashers

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:33 am

They should do the job Andy!

Jeff

SouthTexasPighunter

#3 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:15 pm

Hey Andy howd ya drill out the holes for the rods to be run through? Hello there Jeff.
STP
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:33 pm

G'day STP, glad to see you back; have you any hunting tales to post up? :biggrin:

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#5 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:45 pm

Man ,they'll do the job alright :wink:

Nephew

#6 Post by Nephew » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:09 pm

My Word! That'll drop 'em! What weight would they have been had you left the points on?
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

SouthTexasPighunter

#7 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Hey Jeff, nothin with stick n string but have had quite a few runs with hogs and dogs and waaaayyy to many days in the field already chasing after Doves with a scattergun. I did thump a skunk last night with my hybrid bow as he came out from under the house where he has taken up residence. Bad thing about it was that I had a large group of hunters staying in the house and we were all getting ready to have a feed of BBQ brisket, ranch beans and potato salad. So I had to wait until he made his way through the crowd which parted like the Red Sea(you never saw the like of grown men squeeling like school girls when they saw him) then they really squeeled when they saw me bring out the stickbow. It seems that they didnt know you could accurately shoot a stinker in the head with a stick and string under the full moon and have him drop right there. I think they were all worried he would get back under the house :mrgreen: :lol:. Anyhow not trying to hijack this thread but would really like to see how Andy put those thumpers together because I have a bunch of rabbits and racoons eating my corn and protien in the deer stations and they are eating a hole in my efforts of trying to keep my herd healthy. We finally had some rain here early this morning about three and one half inches or better. To date we here in South Texas were about nineteen to twenty inches below the normal rainfall for the year so everything was pretty burned up browse wise. Many of the cattle ranchers are having to sell off there herds. I have seen water holes that have never gone dry shrivel up and disappear and wells go dry in some areas they are having to deep core drill for water. I will post some pictures tommorrow as right now I have to TRY and lift my boy off my bed and get him to his, poor lad I got him up at 0500am yesterday and we hunted all day yesterday and then we led some hog hunters last night till 0130 am with night vision sights mounted on rifles so needless to say he is "bushed out" at least for now.
God Bless.
STP

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:53 pm

Great to hear you finally got some rain, living over here I sure know how droughts go. Seems like you have a busy time of it too with the various hunters on your place.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

SouthTexasPighunter

#9 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 1:59 pm

H'lo Bob, yes lots of hunters right now and Hopefully through next Spring into early summer. Hunting season for the townies started Sept. 1st course for those of us lucky enough to live in the Boondocks hunting season never lets up. There is always a pig coyote Javalina or some other varmint to take care of and lets not forget about fish. :mrgreen:
All Gods best to ya.
STP

bigbob

#10 Post by bigbob » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Talking about boondocks I am fascinated with a tv show on a channel called 'Swamp people' 'bout catching and shooting gators for a living. Part from the bloody mozzies it would be a great life I reckon.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:13 pm

Thanks STP, I look forward to the photos.

Jeff

Macca

#12 Post by Macca » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:32 pm

Nice heads Andy, I made similar heads back in the late 90s and again a couple of years ago. The only problem I had, was because of the rods/pins, when you hit a hard object there is a lot of leverage on them. This tends to fracture your shaft around the insert area. I did play with sleeves over the shaft around the insert area in an effort to beef that area up. With the length of rod you have, you may find that they are very noisy in flight.

I have tried every blunt there is commercial and home made. I tend to always come back to the judo point. Good luck with the heads, saying that when they hit the bunnys they will turn them inside out.

Cheers Macca.

andy80

#13 Post by andy80 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:53 am

STP - I just used a cordless drill and drilled very carefully, making sure the drill was running through the center of the field point as well as making sure it was at 90deg to the point. It would be much easier with a drill press.

Mort - Before cut the end off the field tip the they are about 370gn, when cut back they are about 260gn, the same weight as a 125gn steel adapter and a 135gn ribbie.

Macca - Cheers for the info. I did bend one slightly when it hit hard dirt the other day. And yes they are a little noisy, hopefully all the rabbits I find are blind and hard of hearing :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I'll hopefully do some testing on hares near home. I have another one made using a bit heavier rod so I could cut them a bit shorter. I need all the diameter I can get though. :lol: How do you get the Judo's weight up to the same as your broadhead weight??

Macca

#14 Post by Macca » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:53 am

Andy, depending how keen you are, you can machine a steel adaptor to make up the extra weight. Add a couple of inches of 2216 alloy from the adaptor and over the length of your shaft, extend the alloy sleeve an inch past your insert. This will bring the weight up and beef the area up also. Trial and error mate good luck with it.

Cheers Macca.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#15 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:04 am

andy80 wrote:How do you get the Judo's weight up to the same as your broadhead weight??
With real arras I use a 'woody point' to get the judo point to match up (or get close) to my broadhead weight. :mrgreen:

Jeff

perry

#16 Post by perry » Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:16 pm

Good work, the best part of Traditional Archery is the opportunities for DIY.

A usefull variation of these types of head is too incert piano wire through a hole in the field point and form it into a figure 8, a bit of solder to hold it in place and you have some very mean bird points

I wonder if using 1.5 mm spring wire bent forward to resemble Judo point profile would be a little friendlier on arrow shafts

regards Jacko
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin