Chundoo Wood

How to make a Bow, a String or a Set of Arrows. Making equipment & tools for use in Traditional Archery and Bowhunting.

Moderator: Moderators

SouthTexasPighunter

Chundoo Wood

#1 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 11:22 am

Has anyone ever made arras out of asian Chundoo wood here? I just ordered a dozen shafts an am going to try them out. They are said to be of medium to heavy weight and very tough with similar straightening capabilities as that of Port Orford Cedar. I have some Ace 175 grain Super Express two blades that I'm going to put on them 1.5" wide I believe or close to it. I saw two 250 pound class boars out at the ranch this past week that I want to try them out on. The bigger one of which I could see ivory pokin out of his lower lip at 250 meters with my Leupolds. Had to keep my boy from comin out of the truck with the lever gun but The two got a pass..... FOR NOW!!! Ive been seeing some nice whitetails that I also want to put a toothpick through but I'm going to use a made up 145 grain 2 blade Grizzly single bevel through him. Anyhow if you have used the Chundoo wood please tell me how you straightened them best and if you can use Rit Dye to stain them(same stuff we use to dye clothing).
Cheers
STP
Peace and Walk The Way of The Hunter

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Chundoo Wood

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:40 pm

I have heard of the Chundoo shafts but I don't recall ever using them so can't really help you with your questions. I mostly just straighten my woods by bending them between my index finger and the pad at the base of my thumb.

Seems like you have a couple of good boars hangin' around mate so I hope you get to meet them up close and get to put an arra through one or two of them. :D If you do please take some photos to share with us as we all like seeing photos from other places. All the best with the Whitetails as well.

Jeff

SouthTexasPighunter

#3 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:50 pm

Thanks Jeff Ive got a few pictures in my puter but I'm having trouble getting them small enough to post. I know how to resize them now courtesy of one of the fellos on here but my software is either expired or I'm too much of a knucklehead to figure it out.;) I'll try again in a minute.
STP

jcm

#4 Post by jcm » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:24 pm

Good Day South Texas,
Only brought some in for customers - five years ago.
From Canada. Was also called LodgePole.The shaft supplier closed down.
Have not heard coming out of Asia. Would the seller being trying to "relabel" Ramin as Chundoo?
General comments were
A heavy shaft. Tough. Easy to straighten.
Regards

John

wishsong

#5 Post by wishsong » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:29 pm

If its geuine Chundoo I had good results ... a tad heavier than cedar and easy to straighten . If I couldn't get Douglas fir or Spruce it'd be my next choice . In fact I only stopped using it because it became so hard to get .

Also ... those big Ace heads are like flying machete's ... great Heads !

longbowinfected

#6 Post by longbowinfected » Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:11 pm

Lodgepole, Sitka and a few pines grow together and are marketted as SPF [spruce pine fir] I think most of the way up to Canada and very similar across the straight into Russia / Asia.

Might be worth looking at.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

SouthTexasPighunter

#7 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 6:56 am

Hello all, John I recieved the Tim Tams ate two and had to put the box away or else I'd have eaten all of them in one sitting. :lol: Will go great with my Texas Pecan coffee in the morning. Just have to hide them :wink: . I have four other chocoholics in the house. You were right about the Chundoo its out of Canada and the Ramin is the Asian wood I just gotem backwards. Funny thing is I wasnt even looking for those two woods I was looking for Southeast Alaskan Yellow Cedar. I should have the Chundoo by the end of the week so I will post with the ease or not of working with the wood.
Regards
STP

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:07 am

Morning All.
SouthTexasPighunter wrote:Hello all, John I recieved the Tim Tams ate two and had to put the box away or else I'd have eaten all of them in one sitting. :lol: Will go great with my Texas Pecan coffee in the morning. Just have to hide them :wink: .
Okay, who is the guilty one? The next thing you know people will be sending jars of Vegemite to Texas.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:11 am

GrahameA wrote:The next thing you know people will be sending jars of Vegemite to Texas.
I think I know the response that one would get. :lol:

Jeff

jcm

#10 Post by jcm » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:34 am

Going off track.
Was told once by a visitor - Vegimite-spread on toast-looked like "Road Kill".
Forgot to ask the visitor was there a taste difference.

Regards

John

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:35 am

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff

Keith Lee

#12 Post by Keith Lee » Tue Aug 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Hi southtexas i use a heat gun on my arrows a bend here and a bend their and their straight once they cool down they stay straight. :mrgreen: YOWIE.

slvrslngr

#13 Post by slvrslngr » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:17 pm

I can't figure out how a country that came up with the delectable goodness of TimTam's :D could also come up with the thorough nastiness that is Vegemite :shock: ! 8) :mrgreen:

SouthTexasPighunter

#14 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:33 am

Fellas I have now had them both (Vegemite and Tim Tams) I like em both! What do you expect from a guy thats Part Texican and Native American. Keith I will try the heat gun I have been looking for a reason to get me one. It'll beat the hell out of scorching my fingers with a propane torch. :lol: The shafts are on their way I should recieve them by the end of the week. Oh and the Tim Tams are almost gone I have three left. The rug rats found my hiding spot. Its alright though I dont think my diabetes doctor would have liked me eating them. :evil: John be on the lookout for a package. Nothin major just some specialty coffee that we have here locally. Some like it some dont. Here in my area you have to get it when its first stocked or it will disappear very quickly.
STP
Oh and if I had a way of sending TexMex food to you through the mail I would but i think it would be kinda smelly when it got there. :shock:
Chheers
Eric

jcm

#15 Post by jcm » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:03 am

Thanks South Texas.
Looking forward to it.
As long as you do not eat a Vegemite coated Tim Tam- that would be an acquired taste.
Tex/Mex food by mail would be an interesting one for the postal service.
Take care and Enjoy the moment.

Regards

John

SouthTexasPighunter

#16 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 am

Well the chundoo shafts came in. 6 really good shafts, 2 decent and 4 that really need to be srtaightened. They are 23/64 diameter so I am off to get a new tapering tool since mine is worn out, some banana cut feathers and nocks. John I am going to send you some recipes that are fairly easy to prepare So you can get a taste of Tex-Mex. I will pm you later today.
All the best to yall.
Eric

SouthTexasPighunter

#17 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:49 am

Straightening the shafts with a propane torch and easy pressure. Have crowned them with white spray on then burnished the shafts(my trade mark) now to crest them cut to length, seal them, nock, fletch and put on my 150 grain Bodkins. Saw the big boars agin so for now I have them semi patterned. Maybe for my birthday this month I will treat myself to a pig stickn( as if I need a reason) :wink: .
STP

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#18 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:58 am

SouthTexasPighunter wrote:and put on my 150 grain Bodkins.
Which Bodkins are you talking about mate? The Bodkins we had out here (haven't seen any for many years) were three blade broadheads and they were terrible to sharpen and I found penetration suffered also.

Jeff

wishsong

#19 Post by wishsong » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:38 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:
SouthTexasPighunter wrote:and put on my 150 grain Bodkins.
The Bodkins we had out here (haven't seen any for many years) were three blade broadheads and they were terrible to sharpen and I found penetration suffered also.

Jeff

What Jeff said !
Or perhaps they are the MA versions ? Those shiny things we use to get here were horrible ... good for bludgeoning rabbits and little else.

SouthTexasPighunter

#20 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:53 am

No Lads, this BH is a design a good friend of mine who owns Black Swan Bows named Arvid Danielson has created after the old two blade version. It is roughly 2.5 inches long by about 1.25 to 1.50 inches wide. It is a single bevel blade with a square ferule instead of the round one. Go to www.blackswanarchery.com and you will see them on the page after the intro. They are not listed but you can contact him via the contact page and ask for them there. The BH is 150 grains if memory serves me right and they are a glue on model that mounts very easily and spins true. I havent had any problem with wind plaining with it either. Very solid well made arrowhead that literally splits bone. I have had the same 7 for about three years now and almost all have been used reused and used again. They take areally good edge and keep it, touch them up with a fine diamond stone or ceramic stick and they shave again.
STP

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#21 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Fri Aug 12, 2011 8:38 am

Well they look a lot better than the Bodkins we have seen and no doubt would perform a whole lot better. :lol: Having a square ferule is certainly different also. I wouldn't mind a couple of strips of the carbon he uses on his bows to make myself a bow as I believe it is supposed to be very very good. Thanks for the info Eric and I hope you get to use the Chundoo/Bodkin combination on those big boars you have been seeing. :D

Jeff

SouthTexasPighunter

#22 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:14 am

Thanks Jeff, try giving Arvid a call or email tell him that Eric from Smitty's place sent you to him he may be able to help you. Arvid is definately a wise fellow and knows his business and material.
Eric

SouthTexasPighunter

#23 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:44 pm

Finally finished the arras after about a week of off and on work I'm done. Wouldve been done three days ago but my boy Conor wound up getting sick with pneumonia. I will trty and post pictures tomorrow. Went on a scouting trip tonight in the deer woods and the three boars that I saw before are still coming around but with another smoker in tow. The fourth boar is a looker with black and Gold coloration. If he gives me a shot he goin to get poked with a 600 grain toothpick. :twisted: .
STP

Nephew

#24 Post by Nephew » Wed Aug 17, 2011 3:41 pm

The arras sound good matey. I hope your young bloke is well soon. All the best to him.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#25 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:53 pm

Yeah, I hope the young fella is on the mend mate. All the best with pokin' that big fella with ya 600 grain toothpick. :D I look forward to the photos of ya arras as well.

Jeff

KellyG

#26 Post by KellyG » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:21 pm

Good luck on them Hogs.
Now give us a PIC of them Arrows. :mrgreen:

SouthTexasPighunter

#27 Post by SouthTexasPighunter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:59 am

Sorry Lads, I fell ill 2 days after my sons diagnosies of pneumonia. Have slowed way down to nothing but bed rest and painkillers. Had/have a cyst under my left arm that became enlarged and has finally burst (last night) cause infection to spread so I'm on sulferbased antibiotics and pain meds. No sun exposure. Believe me when they say no sun they mean it. The sulfer in the meds wipes you out. Fevers have finally broken so I was able to get some flicks, not very good but you can see the finished product. Here they are.
Chundoo arrows1.jpg
Chundoo arrows1.jpg (50.89 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
chundoo arrows2.jpg
chundoo arrows2.jpg (51.36 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
Bodkin head.jpg
Bodkin head.jpg (43.7 KiB) Viewed 5594 times
Best I can do right now. Hope you like them.
STP

bigbob

#28 Post by bigbob » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:22 am

Great lookin arrows Texas, heads look a little'chunky' for me. hope you and your boy are on the improve and sneaking up on them big porkers real soon.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#29 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:27 am

STP, you and your son seem to be having a bad run health wise; I hope things improve rapidly for you both and you are fit and healthy again real soon.

Those arras look like they'll do the business. Is that some sort of burnt camo on them? Also what is the special white one for? :D

Jeff

Bent Stick

#30 Post by Bent Stick » Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:55 am

You and your son get well STP and get them thar perty arrows stuck into somethin

I like a nice wide broadhead mate mate give em heaps
If your not having fun, your doing it for all the wrong reasons