2 wing, twisted foot shafts.... to complete arrow.

Here, anyone can post a link to a thread they particularly admire. This will enable location of such without having to trawl through all the forums Please give your post a very clear heading, probably the actual title of the original thread would be best in most cases. Then all you have to do is copy the url (all the text showing in the "address" bar of your browser) into the post.

Moderator: Moderators

Buford

#61 Post by Buford » Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:18 pm

Jeff,
The feather shape is called a "sky" cut (5").
When I bought the vario cutter last year, i got 3 sets of blades to go with it because if i ordered them at the same time, each additional blade was only about $20.
I have a 5" shield, 5.25" traditional parabolic (somewhere between a paradbolic and a banana shape) and the above mentioned sky.

cheers
Buford
Last edited by Buford on Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

Buford

#62 Post by Buford » Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:02 am

Got back from the Hunter valley shoot in the wee hours last night, and as promised, I was able to get a pic or 2 of the 4 wing foot from John's demo, in both straight wing and the twisted. :wink:
If the twisted pic looks a little blurry its because its behind glass. :)
I will post a heap of pics from the weekend on the other thread after i've had some more sleep. :shock:

Just a note of interest.... while talking to john about them, i was curious as to how he got so much twist without the glue letting go (because he is getting a hell of a lot more twist than I and the heat generated is unbelieveable :shock: , the secret is in the glue.
"Don't use that Aquadhere crap! Here, use this stuff..." to which he produces a bottle of loctite 401. :shock: apparently he has tried all sorts of glues and this one has never let go. So there you have it eh? :D

Buford
Attachments
twisted4wing.jpg
twisted4wing.jpg (72.19 KiB) Viewed 6990 times
4wingfoot.jpg
4wingfoot.jpg (56.4 KiB) Viewed 6990 times

tracker

#63 Post by tracker » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:12 pm

What type of broadhead is that on the 'candy-cane' shaft?

Mick.
"One has been a bad spectator of life if one has not also seen the hand that in a considerate fashion - kills." Nietzsche.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#64 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:38 pm

Tracker,

Not sure but is it a Black Stump?

Jeff

Buford

#65 Post by Buford » Mon Jun 13, 2005 4:44 pm

yeah, its a blackstump. :wink:

buford

CameronPotter

#66 Post by CameronPotter » Wed Jun 15, 2005 10:04 am

What kind of dimmer switch did you use?

I ran the old sewing machine motor last night (through the pedal) and it was not a problem. I now want a dimmer switch instead. Did you use a light one, a fan one or something else?

Our light ones are about $30 from a hardware store. Did you get yours from Dick Smith (or equivalent) or a hardware store?

Also, my power lead input isn't as good as yours - it leaves the contacts kind of exposed, so I might have to do something about that.

Cam

Buford

#67 Post by Buford » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:52 am

Cam, I just got a el cheapo light dimmer from bunnings. Cost about $5 - $10 or something.

before you do that though..... I installed the dimmer only to bring down the RPM's of the motor to about 200 - 300, so the shaft doesnt blow up at 3000 - 4000! :D . once I have it set to the desired speed, I just leave it and still use the foot pedal for on/ off.

cheers
Buford

CameronPotter

#68 Post by CameronPotter » Wed Jun 15, 2005 11:59 am

The cheapest dimmer I could find was $20, but then that wasn't in Bunnings. I may well use the foot pedal as on and off, not a bad idea really. But installing a switch wouldn't be a trouble. I'll think about it.

Cam

Buford

#69 Post by Buford » Wed Jun 15, 2005 12:01 pm

My dimmer has a switch on as well i just bypassed it! :lol:
Yeah, its easy. I just matched up the same coloured wires and asked my brother if he would mind turning it on while I hid around the couch! :lol: :lol:

Buford

Buford

#70 Post by Buford » Tue Jun 21, 2005 5:30 pm

As you may have guessed, I have moved this thread and cut out everything that was not relevant to the construction or questions.

Thanks everyone for watching and your feedback on this build-along. :D

Your interest and comments made it a worthwhile undertaking. :wink:

Cheers
Buford

CameronPotter

#71 Post by CameronPotter » Mon Jul 25, 2005 10:22 am

Hi,

Just dragging this up again...

I have started cresting my new arrows, but when spraying the end (rather than dipping) I found that some of the paint somehow got under the tape.

Have you ever had this happen? I was using just normal sticky tape, but it seemed to hold well enough, just some had a bit of leakage.

Bit annoyed about this, but I am not grief stricken. I think I will be able to get over it.

Maybe I needed to put more layers of varnish down as the original base coat?

Also, you'll be happy to know that my cresting machine has been run (and turned a piece of dowel very nicely), but not yet used to actually do any cresting.

I'll post piccies (in a new thread as to not pollute this one with my comparably pitiful attempts) when I have actually got some cresting done.

If you could help me with the spraying thing, that would be good though.

Cam