Midas Bow Stand - A Review

of books, magazines, web sites, movies, whatever is concerned with Archery...

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Midas Bow Stand - A Review

#1 Post by GrahameA » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:08 am

Midas Bow Stand

If you use your bow at "events" you very rapidly decide you need some sort of stand for you bow to keep it out of the dirt and off the ground. For a number of years I have been using a Cartel magnetic stand and have been very happy with it. The major thing I liked about the Cartel was it used magnets to keep the three arms in place – very quick, very easy and no pieces to lose. Over the last month I have been using a Midas bowstand from John McDonald at AMSO 128. It is a nifty piece of kit and has been successful at doing what has been asked of it with Longbows, Recurves and Compounds.

The Bowstand in operation.
bowstand_01.jpg
bowstand_01.jpg (66.06 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
The stand is made primarily from Aluminium alloy with steel used for the leg threads and plastic for the bow rest and the string clip. The stand functions the same as all stands of this type but has a couple of nifty innovations. On the downside the stand had two minor issues – the fit if the bow rest onto the column was not super tight and one of my handles was. So a minute or so and some glue and the bow rest no longer came of every time I lifted that particular bow off.

The Bow Rest.
bowstand_05.jpg
bowstand_05.jpg (23.66 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
The string clip was a tad tight for some of my bowstrings to slip easily past it. I fixed it the same way as with my Cartel – a few wraps of tape above and the below the fitting and it stayed in place.

The String Clip.
bowstand_04.jpg
bowstand_04.jpg (24.43 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
“The Spike”

The stand comes complete with a small “Spike” that screws into the base of the centre column. Whilst, I would not go trying to drive it into some of the hard baked clays of some ranges it did go into the ground at club with no issues and makes the whole stand much more stable, Especially when you have a bow with a long stabiliser on it getting blown about by the wind that always seem to be present when you are shooting competition

The “Spike”.
bowstand_02.jpg
bowstand_02.jpg (20.65 KiB) Viewed 3657 times
The Leg Adjusting Mechanism.

To unfold the legs you unscrew the legs a few turns swing them out and screw them up. Simple quick and easy plus no fiddly wings to lose in the grass,

Leg Mechanism.
bowstand_03.jpg
bowstand_03.jpg (18.54 KiB) Viewed 3656 times
The whole thing folds up neatly and fits into my Archery Box and is an excellent accessory to have if you do not already one (or two or three).
Last edited by GrahameA on Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbow steve

Re: Midas Bow Stand - A Review

#2 Post by longbow steve » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:19 am

Looks good Grahame, I like the spike for extra security, especially after the recent state titles :) . I wiould need to add some flouro for the field shoots, It is hard to find a timber grain bow at the best of times just ask Kevin :D . Steve

gundy

Re: Midas Bow Stand - A Review

#3 Post by gundy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:23 pm

Good review mate.