The Target Ragim - Product Review

of books, magazines, web sites, movies, whatever is concerned with Archery...

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

The Target Ragim - Product Review

#1 Post by GrahameA » Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:17 pm

Hi All

One of the ongoing questions on this forum has concerned Target Butts. Well perhaps this product may be of interest to you.

Product Review of the Target Ragim.

"The Target Ragin" was supplied by John at AMSO128 for some testing and a product review. Contact John at AMSO128 if you are interested in purchasing one or a few.

The product is essentially a sack made of a heavy weave polypropylene. Sewn in at the four corners are loops for use in conjunction with ropes or ties to attach the bag to supports. One side has a series of concentric circles on it to act as a target. The instructions suggest that the bag be filled with rags or similar material. In my case I stuffed it plastic shopping bags and you will need a fair few of them. The bag does not come with any closure mechanism so I used a few zippy ties which appear to have done the job.
Bag as it comes out of the packing.
Bag as it comes out of the packing.
1.jpg (111.56 KiB) Viewed 7062 times
When stuffed it takes up a shape a bit like a pillow. Beware there is not a lot of material at the edges to stop arrows and so you need to your shots to be in the centre.
Shooting at close range and asking for broken arrows.  Easto Jazz from glass longbow
Shooting at close range and asking for broken arrows. Easto Jazz from glass longbow
2.jpg (126.58 KiB) Viewed 7060 times
Day 1 - Longbow and Recurve

Initial testing showed that it had no difficulties in stopping wood or Aluminium arrows fitted with target points from either a 30lb laminated Longbow or a 40lb laminated Recurve. The arrow holes appear to self sealing to some level after the arrows have been removed.

Arrow Count
200 arrows were shot into the bag.
Total arrows shot 200

Next step will be to trial some Carbon Target Arrows from a Compound Bow.

I would definitely not recommend the use on broadheads or any arrow with a tip that has cutting edges on this target. They will cut the strands and the bag will have a very short life.

Day 2 - Compound Bow

Initial testing using a Compound Bow (Hoyt Raider set at 50lb) with wood arrows showed no penetration and no issues.

However, thin Target shafts (Beman Carbon) resulted in the odd arrow poking through the back. Taking the bag and jumping on it a few times to resdistribute the packing stopped the issue.

Arrow Count
200 arrows were shot into the bag using the compound bow and another 100 arrows from a longbow.
Total arrow count 500

Day 3 - More Compound Bows

Further testing using a Hoyt Protec set at 50lb approx and using X7 Cobalts showed no penetration of the bag. Changing over to Easton ACE’s and the tip of the arrow started to show through. Using a Mathews’ Apex and ACE’s and penetration started to become more common. However it should be noted by this stage that the central area of the bag had had several hundred arrows shot into it.

The intention is to change the packing material – to a cloth material – and do some more testing with respect to penetration.

A small issue did arise with the use of the Beman Target arrows. The arrows use a tip which is fitted over the arrow shaft resulting in a definite lip. This lip would catch everytimee the arrow was withdrawn from the bag causing the edges of the bag material to occasionally be broken. In my opinion – the use of tip which catch as they are withdrawn may reduce the life of the bag.

A FITA Field Target Face was fitted to the bag using some hooks and rubber connecting bands. As part of this process the bag was attached using ropes to two Star Pickets drive into the round approximately 1 metre apart. Checking out the possibility of using the bag as a Field target. Results so far are very favourable however next time I will use “Occy” straps to attach the bag to the Star Pickets. It would be good if the bag was available in a size that enabled use of a large size FITA Field Target Face.

Arrow Count
The bag had another 50 arrows from the three compound bows shot into it.
Total Arrow Count 550

Day 4

More aluminium arrows shot into the bag. 30lb Longbow and 1716 Easton Jazz arrows.

Arrow Count
100 arrows shot.
Total Arrows shot 650.

Day 5 - Recurve and Wood Arrows

Bit of a change. Used my recurve 40lb and POC shafts. The bag stopped them without any problems whatsoever. Although I had to make a point of moving around the target so I did not start smashing arrows.

Arrow Count
100 Arrows
Total Arrows Shot - 750

The intention is to keep testing this product over the longer term to ascertain it longevity.
The start of pummelling it to death.
The start of pummelling it to death.
3.jpg (30.18 KiB) Viewed 7044 times
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

longbowinfected

Re: The Target Ragim - Product Review

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 am

Nice report GA

A large flat rather than cuboid bulk bag say 400mm thick of the same material if cost effective / lean would be interesting.
Especially if it fitted FITA 122 faces. I would love to get rid of all our strammit targets.

KG
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

Steven J

#3 Post by Steven J » Tue Aug 05, 2008 12:44 pm

John,

Can you give us a price on the bags please?

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

jcm

#4 Post by jcm » Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:19 pm

Steve-Wholesale price- $36.30.(including GST)
Will take about 2 -3 weeks to get in from Europe.
John

pommy chris

#5 Post by pommy chris » Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:37 am

36 dollars is that for 1 unfilled sack?
seems rather expensive for whats just a potato sack and a bit of printing.
much rather buy direct from a supplier.or get hold of some pre-used poly or hessian sacks.fill with watever is at hand.old carpet cut up does the job nicely.give it a coat of clear rtv silocone & pin my own target face.or paint one on before you apply the silocone.
that would be a very cheap way to do it.
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:07 am

Morning Chris
pommy chris wrote:36 dollars is that for 1 unfilled sack?
seems rather expensive for whats just a potato sack and a bit of printing.
It isn't. Somewhat more robust than that.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

GrahameA

#7 Post by GrahameA » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:16 am

Good Morning All

Just an Update.

The bag has cracked the 1000 arrow mark and is still hanging in there.

* The bag or more likely the packing does not like knitting needle target arrows shot from compounds. Very quickly they start punching their way out the back. Interestingly Aluminium Arrows out of the same bows are not an issue. I am of the opinion that the greater surface are of the Alloy shafts is what makes the difference.

* I have refrained from shootings arrows which do not have a smooth transition from shaft to point in the bag. You can feel the head catching on the fibres of the bag as they are be removed and would, in my opinion, lead to a premature failure of the bag.

* I have taken the bag to a few different places and it goes easily into the boot of the car. It would not be difficult to stack four or five of them in there if you wanted to set up a mini range somewhere.

* As I said in the previous post this bag is stuffed with plastic shopping bags. If you intend to use them start saving them now - you will need a few. :D

So here is a photo of the bag at 800 shots:
bag.jpg
bag.jpg (117.84 KiB) Viewed 6832 times
Grahame.

Steven J

#8 Post by Steven J » Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:56 am

That is looking pretty good after 800 shots. It looks good for at least another 800.

Of course, I would expect it to last longer for me as I tend to distribute my arrows more evenly over the surface rather than the centre :D
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

Graeme K

#9 Post by Graeme K » Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:52 pm

Hey Steven that is my excuse for spraying them all over the place --- I have always felt quite smug about the fact that my targets last for ever but I have not mentioned it much. GKL

GrahameA

#10 Post by GrahameA » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:54 am

Morning All

Just an update.

* The Ragim is still going strong and has turned out handy to have as it very easy to put in the car.

* After a while you need to do a complete re-pack of the material as it starts to severely compact in the centre area where it is constantly being shot.

And for those who are interested a video of one being used.

Video.

I was of the opinion that these where pretty good when I first tried it out and am even more impressed by them now. I stopped counting at 1000 arrows and due the head issue am selective what I shoot into it and just use my Aluminiums into it.
Grahame.

Coach

#11 Post by Coach » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:44 pm

Looks like a good product for those that arent DIY savvy .
This material looks VERY like wool bale material and I am sure it would stop thin arrows with appropriate stuffing with plastic . You can use the pallet wrap as well from a lot of supermarkets etc , just pack it in there TIGHT ! :D