Aussie Ferals 3D (Cat) Target Review

of books, magazines, web sites, movies, whatever is concerned with Archery...

Moderator: Moderators

The Gnome!

Aussie Ferals 3D (Cat) Target Review

#1 Post by The Gnome! » Sun May 04, 2008 5:16 pm

Aussie Ferals 3DTarget (Cat)

Approximately four weeks ago a solid couple of knocks on the front door got me up from my perch at the kitchen table with curious family looking on not to far behind, as I opened the door I was to be greeted by the parcel postie holding a medium sized box with my name on the front and no real clue as to whom it was from save for a symbol and the word medicworx on the top left corner. Taking hold of the box I was surprised as to how heavy it weighed while going back to the kitchen and placing it onto the table, I got a knife and proceeded to open the box only to be greeted by shredded paper!

No note or letter to say who from or what it is, so the inquisitive eyes and minds where running in top gear by this stage.

A little bit of a feel revealed that there was something firm but slightly spongy inside.

Removing a couple of handfuls of the paper showed the chocolate colored head of a 3D Cat target!! I immediately new who it was from and I would like to say right now thank you very much to the owners/proprietors/suppliers Mr. Mark Harvey (aka - Scrub bull!) and Mrs. Maura Harvey (aka – Doc!) and family of Aussie Ferals for this excellent high quality product.

Seeing a need to fill the void in the 3D archery target industry here in Australia and to compete with the American 3D animal targets prices Mr. & Mrs. Harvey owner/proprietors of Aussie Ferals has stepped up to the mark with this the first of many introduced and feral animal species of Australian 3D animal targets.

To describe this target one would say it’s quite robust and stout in its stance which will aid greatly in its stability on the ground. It has a very solid head-to-neck transition with its tail and front-side rear leg molding together but still well defined as to see the difference between the two, this is for less breakage/loss of parts as well as longevity. It has smooth but well textured grooves all over the top to give the appearance of fur lines, with a smooth belly/underside and fairly-quite strong flexible stout legs/feet to cope with a drop from around waist height or 3ft.

As studied from pictures in veterinary literature and photos, it was explained to me by Mr. Harvey the cat has a well placed and clearly marked score zone of two rings one large, one smaller inner one on one side only, locating where the heart and lungs would be on a cat of this size as well as approximate size of the heart and lungs, essential for anyone who may be hunting such animals so as to know exactly where to aim when they come across one in a broadside or quartering position. Also having the score zone on one side is a benefit for the teaching/testing of shot placement for new bowhunters as one can fully appreciate. Other score zones can be put on easily with a soldering iron as to where the archer or club wants them. Tarzans grip works well for small repairs and cuts. E.g. it glues broadhead cuts well. Mr. Harvey is also currently working on a cheap repair kit for our targets and others.

Photos were taken and it was out the back yard for some testing with the bows.

My oldest son was called upon for this task as he is an excellent shot with the trad gear.

Eight to ten shots later at a distance of twelve yards from his 75# @ 29” Norseman Longbow, shooting 80# spined poc arrows tipped with field points and the cat affectionately named Chocolate was stopping all that was thrown at it, bringing the arrows to a resounding stop without falling over or showing signs of rolling/flipping back.

Field tipped wooden arrows.

Now was the test for the dreaded (compound) 80# Oneida @ 29’’ draw with field tipped carbon and alloy arrows at twelve yards, eight shots and as before no rolling/flipping over and complete stoppage of all the arrows. No sign of a pass through was evident or even looked to be happening.

Fied tiped Carbon

Broadhead tipped Carbon

View from back showing Broadhead penetration.

Broadhed Removed.

Removal of the arrows was a different affair, laying the cat on its side using a foot to steady it then using both hands a firm and steady pull is required to extract ones arrows carbon, alloy and wood. The quality of the material used is such that when the arrows are removed the healing or closing up of the holes is quite rapid leaving only small 2-3mm holes as evidence of where the arrows have entered.

I also took it out to Hunter Valley Traditional Archers Inc for the members to look at, handle, and then eventually shoot some arrows from varying bows and differing poundage’s at a longer distance than twelve yards, also to get much broader evaluation/opinions on this target. Results and evaluations were very pleasing with only one carbon arrow loosing a point and insert to the grip of the foam.

A phone call was made to the maker/supplier Mr. Harvey, and all was revealed as to easier removal of ones arrows by using tire shine as apposed to silicone in a dipper tube on the arrows before shooting the target makes for a more comfortable but still firm one handed removal of arrows with no signs of deterioration or damage to the target foam.

In a comparison to the Mackenzie 3D targets and the old Aus-Style 3D targets the foam used in this one is considerably denser hence the relative weight. The healing/closing up or sealing characteristics of the foam are as good as if not better than the aforementioned targets. I can see that this target and others to follow will hold there life/value for quite some time if only used for there intended purpose as a field target on the 3D courses or by the back yard target archer/hunter for practice.

If used for Broadhead practice one could expect a target of this size lasting 3-9 months depending on number of shooters and there consistency of accuracy before seeing a need to repair the hole made or replacing the entire target with a new one, in my humble opinion good value for money for the discerning/serious bowhunter/s.

I could also see this as an excellent practice target for the bowhunter to take with them as a final fine tune target at camp before going out hunting as it takes up little space and the weight is minimal too, as anyone who hunts with compounds knows that a sight can be easily knocked out of place during transport leading to a bad shot and wounded or lost game.

I am looking forward to a long service from this target as will new owners and clubs alike as well as seeing what other animals Aussie Ferals will be introducing in the near future.

Dimensions are:

• Color; Chocolate, though other colors may be available.
• Height; 300mm or 12 inches @ tip of the ears, 200mm or 8 inches @ the shoulder, 190mm or 7 ½ inches @ the rump.
• Length; 480mm or 19 inches from ear to tail.
• Girth; 420.5mm 0r 16 ¾ inches behind front legs 480mm or 19 inches in front of back legs.
• Weight approx; 2.5 kilo or 5.5pounds.

Cost;
Retail will be $80.00 plus postage

Enquires can be made to:
TRAD-BITS
Mark Harvey
P.O Box 791
Cooroy, QLD. 4563
Phone: (07) 544-26-232 A/H
Fax: (07) 544-26-855
http://www.tradbits.com.au/
Email: mark@medicworx.com