A 1000 Campfires - Top Read ! and Bowyers Bible 4

of books, magazines, web sites, movies, whatever is concerned with Archery...

Moderator: Moderators

perry

A 1000 Campfires - Top Read ! and Bowyers Bible 4

#1 Post by perry » Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:03 pm

Yesterday bsrecurve loaned me his copy of Jay Masseys A thousand Campfires .

I started reading it at the train station this morning and finished it on the train on the way home . Jay Massey writes in a familar easy to relate to style .

Plenty of stories of his traditional gear hunts in the Alaskan wilderness , Kodiak Island and other wild places , I couldn't put the book down . I have a dream to hunt Moose and Jays Moose hunting stories where my favourites .

One chapter he told of a hunt in the back blocks where a Grizzly trailed Jay and a hunting mate to steal there meat from 2 Dall sheep kills. How would you cope with that , even if you had a 45:70 pistol as backup .

Another he talks about an encounter with a pair of unethical shooters who where taking advantage of the bowhunting season in order to extend there opportunities of a deer kill and how he put the situation right again. Well it illistrated his integritty anyway . Such a shame he died in 1997 , he has made a massive contribution to our sport and what more could he have done

Once again loved it - will be buying my own copy next order stateside .

Last week I got a copy of the Bowyers Bible 4 and I am really impressed with its content - tops off the other 3 Bowyers Bible well . They where full of good information but there where glowing gaps in them . Number 4 goes a long way to patching them up - much more informed this time round . Top value get Bowyers Bible 4 even if your not into making your own traditional gear .

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Benny Nganabbarru

#2 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Mon Mar 31, 2008 11:29 pm

Yep, it's a heck of a book...

If anyone is tired of their copy of "Bowhunting Alaska's Wild Rivers" taking up too much space on their book shelf, just let me know!

:D
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.