The "Grail Quest" Trilogy - Bernard Cornwell

of books, magazines, web sites, movies, whatever is concerned with Archery...

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

The "Grail Quest" Trilogy - Bernard Cornwell

#1 Post by GrahameA » Sun May 08, 2005 9:21 pm

As a bit of an introduction Bernard Cornwell is a well known author of historical fiction. He is most well known for his series of books on "Sharpe". (Victorian era military.)

The Grail Quest series is set during the period of the 100 years war. The premise revolves around a continuation of the search for the Holy Grail.

From the Archery viewpoint its main character is an English Archer, Thomas of Hookton, who joins the army of the King and fights against the Scots and the French.

The three books are:

Harlequin ("The Archer's Tale" in the US),
Vagabond and
Heretic.

If you like this type of writing then this is an excellent read. And it is much better than, say, 'The White Company'.

It offers strong insights in to the battle technology of the period and the method of operation of the army from the man-at-arms viewpoint.

I would strongly reccommend this series to anyone who likes historical novels and is interested in Archery.

http://www.bernardcornwell.net/index2.c ... SeriesId=6
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mububban

Re: The "Grail Quest" Trilogy - Bernard Cornwell

#2 Post by Mububban » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:51 pm

Thanks for this Grahame, I've borrowed this trilogy from a friend and am almost finished the first book. So far I've found it an easy read, with a good mix of historical "how to" and factual details, combined with good characters and good pacing. It doesn't feel rushed, nor slow, and he's also not shy about describing the horrors of war.