Archery. It's History and Forms. (VHS)

of books, magazines, web sites, movies, whatever is concerned with Archery...

Moderator: Moderators

Buford

Archery. It's History and Forms. (VHS)

#1 Post by Buford » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:39 pm

As the title indicates, this is a video on the history of Archery.
It's quite an interesting view, although not an overly indepth view on any one particular form of archery. But it did cover quite a few areas/ disiplines, including.....
*European archery for hunting, war & recreation.
* crossbows, longbows and curves.
*Japanese and turkish archery.
*Archery from horseback (briefly), target, field, flight, roving, clout & popinjay etc.
*A quick look at the construction of both, a medieval longbow and a horn and sinew bow.
There was also a section on broadheads and flintknapping, (arrowsmithing) and fletching.

Alot of the demonstrating was done under the "reinactment" guise. (eg. Showing how the 'Kings guard' would have trained) but was still done well in a 1980's kind of way! :P
It has a 1995 production date but the foorage was obviously shot earlier, much earlier, but in a kooky way it fits the subject matter.
(wardrobe borrowed from the 'Challacombe institute for the flannelly challenged') :lol: :lol: (sorry Jeff :P :D )

worth a look if its rainin' :wink:

buford the brave 8)
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

erron

#2 Post by erron » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:09 pm

Hey Matt, i'm interested, especially if it entails:
'Challacombe institute for the flannelly challenged'
:P :P :P

Do you have a link?

thanks for posting,

Erron

Buford

#3 Post by Buford » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:16 pm

:lol:
i will have a poke around and try to find one mate. :wink:

buford

Buford

#4 Post by Buford » Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:41 pm

ok, i purchased mine from an ebay seller, but, he doesn't have one listed at the moment. here is a link to another place that sells it, from the UK. i cannot vouch for this site as i have never used it. but it shows what it looks like etc. If anyone wants one, send me an email/ PM and i will contact him for you, or, if you are a registered Ebay user, his user ID is "daymo46".

http://www.archery-centre.co.uk/Catalogue/Videos.shtml
Attachments
video2.jpg
video2.jpg (74.62 KiB) Viewed 4854 times
archeryvid.jpg
archeryvid.jpg (20.14 KiB) Viewed 4854 times

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#5 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:22 pm

You havin' a go at me buford??? On second thoughts don't answer that. :lol:

I have had that video for quite a few years now. Don't remember much about it except it nearly cost me the hearing in my right ear. :shock:

I had hooked up some old speakers as rear speakers on our surround sound amp and it just happened to be at the time I got this video.

Anyway the video was playing and it was near the start from memory and they had some medieval archer showing. There wasn't any sound much at all and I couldn't hear anything from the rear speakers and I had the sound turned up quite a bit (read a LOT). I got down and put my right ear against a rear speaker. Just at that moment the archer released the string on his bow. Well I can tell ya I have never heard such a loud bow - darn near blew me ear drum out. In fact I thought I'd nearly lost me head. Yep those rear speaker were working fine and the ringing in my ear and pain stopped after about 24hrs. :cry:

Sorry about the side track, back to the video review. A Pommy production with inconsistant sound quality!!! :D

Jeff

hubris

#6 Post by hubris » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:38 pm

I'm sure I've seen some photos of Neolithic cave paintings depicting strange looking humans in flannel like clothing... it's a real ancestral thing!

BTW Jeff... I saw a pic while I was up north of you and a series of bloke with your arses at the camera! :shock: :x

I could tell it was your **** by the flanny jocks round the knees! :lol:
Saul 'Winks at Goats' & 'Paddles from Crocs'

erron

#7 Post by erron » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:03 pm

I guess he wanted a little keepsake for ‘posterity’?

:lol:

E.