bamboo flooring

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

bigbob

bamboo flooring

#1 Post by bigbob » Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:49 pm

Hope this doesnt come up twice as the first attempt disappeared. In short been around archery for best part of 30 years mainly with compounds,but did flirt with stick bows eons ago.Even tried making my own self bow from spotted gum backed with rawhide.Read all volumes of Bowyers bible cover to cover as well as various books on various native and exotic timbers properties as in compressive strengths etc, but that was years ago and my feeble brain cant retain much these days. In short hoping to make my own long bow agian and am reading here about using bamboo flooring . This sounds great as I am on limited means these day [ pension] so would like to know any thing about this , and suitable glues to use. I am familiar with tillering etc, and maybe see myself making a bamboo laminated bow. Any input would be much appreciated. By the way as some one new to the website I havent had much time to go through everything but have seen some truly awesome bows guys have made on here. Congrats.
nil illigitimo in desperandum carborundum
razorbows.com

bigbob

Re: bamboo flooring

#2 Post by bigbob » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:32 pm

I will answer my own question since I 've taken the time to actually look through some of the threads. There is a wealth of info here if one takes the time to dig it up . Great, keep up the great work.Some truly beautiful bows on here as well, quite a few from makers I am aware of but plenty I dont as yet.
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:42 pm

sorry for not answering sooner mate,havent had much to do with self bows but ive made a few laminated bows ,and i like using the vertical bamboo flooring,i use smooth-on like a few others on here ,and some of the guy's on here use techniglue,keep searching Bob there's a lot of good stuff on here. :D

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:46 pm

My apologies Bob, I saw your thread and was going to post and somehow got side tracked and forgot about it. :oops: First up welcome to the site and I hope you enjoy visiting.

I was going to suggest that you do a search on Bamboo bows and bow build-alongs etc but it seems you have already.

What type of bow are you wanting to make, an all bamboo bow or a glass composite bow using the bamboo? What part of the country are you from (perhaps place it in your profile) as there maybe someone living nearby that would be able to help you first hand.

Jeff

bigbob

#5 Post by bigbob » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:51 pm

Hi there Jeff,
Looking at making a bamboo / glass composite. Got on to glass lam supplier but unsure about glass lam. thickness. Hoping to make one similiar to the one in your excellent post on making a boo bow.Also would like to know an outlet for the layflat hose. How much use could one get out of a router table which I happen to have at hand.Not much would be my quess as the bit wouldnt cover the limb depth to machine any waste off.Also fiddled with the idea of getting a glued up laminated wood stave from US but it seems with the shipping service having a 42'' limit the shipping cost for a 72'' entire stave would run to $160 US.Wow.As you might have seen now since I updated my profile I am on Sunshine Coast.
razorbows.com

Gringa Bows

#6 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:22 pm

oh yeah i forgot to say welcome to the site Bob :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:23 pm

You have a PM Bob.

Jeff

bigbob

#8 Post by bigbob » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:54 pm

How would silky oak go as riser material? And what areas [ as in salvage yards etc., in general]are good sources for timber for same when one is only looking for small sections at a time?
razorbows.com

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:58 pm

I don't think Silky Oak would be real good. You really want a dense heavy wood for riser material.

I am away for a couple of days Bob so I will try and remember to give you a call when I get back home.

Jeff

bigbob

#10 Post by bigbob » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 am

Thanks, Jeff, kinda thought that. Will check out any cabinet makers in vicinity for off cuts of various timbers.May have some osage logs to play with later.
razorbows.com

Steven J

#11 Post by Steven J » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:00 pm

Welcome Bob,

Your starting down the road of a very consuming hobby :D. There is plenty of advice her on gluing up your own bow. The lay up of a bow need not be expensive or demanding on lots of equipment so I would suggest making your own rather than have someone do it for you. The best idea would be to have someone glue up a bow with you, but failing that just give it a go. I am happy to run through the process over the phone sometime. PM me to exchange numbers if you want to have a yarn.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

bigbob

#12 Post by bigbob » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:57 am

Hi Steve.
Thanks for your reply, mate. Have been reading extensively on this and other sites re build alongs etc, and have begun assembling my own gear. I have partly completed a hot box from some scrap ply i had and will be making a form later to suit a relexed bamboo lam. long bow. Need to obtain a second hand band saw and other stuff as well as finances allow as I am of limited fiscal means. I have ordered an unfinished long bow from the states as it was fairly cheap and i dont have any real expectations of it.It is a hickory stave with Cedar / Osage riser.This will enable me to go to a few trad shoots while i slowly build up the gear required and begin making my own as I have a BAD habit of being inpatient.
razorbows.com