Korean Bows.

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

Korean Bows.

#1 Post by greybeard » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 pm

Korean Bows.

Whilst researching Asian traditional bows I found the following photos relating to Korean bows.
kyo013.jpg
kyo013.jpg (194.56 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
kyo012.jpg
kyo012.jpg (89.95 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Korean Bow.jpg
Korean Bow.jpg (113.1 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
Thumb Ring Release.jpg
Thumb Ring Release.jpg (70.67 KiB) Viewed 2048 times
My first impression was how do you string the pretzel?

With a little more research I found the following link.

http://www.koreanarchery.org/index.php? ... &Itemid=77

The text is followed by numerous photos illustrating how to achieve the above task.

There is a wealth of information available at the Museum of Anthropology, 100 Swallow Hall Columbia, MO 65211-1440.
For archery related topics the web address is http://anthromuseum.missouri.edu/grayson/grayson.shtml

The question that comes to mind is "why in the Asian region these complex bows evolved around or prior to the 13th century whilst the rest of civilization was playing with a stick and a bit of string?"

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

GrahameA

Re: Korean Bows.

#2 Post by GrahameA » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:20 am

Hi Daryl

I am of the opinion that it is a cultural thing. They developed a system that rewarded high intellect early and thus others flowed. When that system stalled so did everything else.

If you have a few free days read Joseph Needham's works, "Science and Civilisation in China", on Chinese developments as a starter.

A quick reference:
http://www.nri.org.uk/science.html
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Gringa Bows

#3 Post by Gringa Bows » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:11 am

Daryl,they're a wierd little contraption,wonder what they would be like to shoot..........Rod

Len

#4 Post by Len » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:05 am

Fascinating stuff Daryl, very interesting though your implied thought that somehow the west was behind the east in development with bows is a little off in my opinion as they did have composite bows on their crossbows and at the end of the day a simple wooden stick and string will still do the same job as a much harder to make/slower to produce /expensive composite bow without all the trouble.
If the western nations had thought they were worth the bother the would have used them as the west led the world in military development of weopons.
Hmmmmmmm.............

jcm

#5 Post by jcm » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:03 pm

Thank you Daryl.
An interesting piece in one of many different developments in the stick/bone and string .
Regards
John

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by greybeard » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:22 pm

GrahameA wrote:Hi Daryl

I am of the opinion that it is a cultural thing. They developed a system that rewarded high intellect early and thus others flowed. When that system stalled so did everything else.

If you have a few free days read Joseph Needham's works, "Science and Civilisation in China", on Chinese developments as a starter.

A quick reference:
http://www.nri.org.uk/science.html

"Science and Civilisation in China", Price: £120.00 :shock: :shock: Please order from Cambridge University Press.

If I can handle the read I will check ot the local library. :roll: :roll:

Daryl
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by greybeard » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:32 pm

Len wrote:Fascinating stuff Daryl, very interesting though your implied thought that somehow the west was behind the east in development with bows is a little off in my opinion as they did have composite bows on their crossbows and at the end of the day a simple wooden stick and string will still do the same job as a much harder to make/slower to produce /expensive composite bow without all the trouble.
If the western nations had thought they were worth the bother the would have used them as the west led the world in military development of weopons.
Len,

I was not knocking the longbow/warbow. My thoughts in this posting were outside the military square. Perhaps at another time we need to examine how different cultures approached warfare?

There were probably numerous suitable species of trees available in Asia to make a stick and string bow but the question was why did they choose to make such complex bows?

To quote GrahameA 'I am of the opinion that it is a cultural thing. They developed a system that rewarded high intellect early and thus others flowed. When that system stalled so did everything else.'

As a bowyer in earyl apprenticeship I am interested bows from the various cultures and how/why they evolved.

On the military side the following is quoted from the Museum of Anthropology;

"Korea has a long archery tradition that has endured virtually uninterrupted to the present day. The bow was a major weapon used in defence from ancient times through the 19th century. During the Choson period (1392-1910), Korea adopted a military-service examination system from China that included a focus on archery skills and that contributed to the development of Korean archery as a practical martial art. The Choson period also saw the creation of a personal dimension in Korean archery, with archery seen as a way of cultivating Confucian values of social order and morality. Civilian shooting ranges were established after the Japanese Hideyoshi Invasion of the late 16th century, and archery clubs were created that acted as a mechanism for maintaining the traditions of Korean martial and ritual archery. A brief decline of interest in archery occurred with the transition of the Korean military to modern firearms in the early 19th century; however, it was given new direction by King Kojong in the early 20th century as a way to support physical activities while retaining the cultural emphasis on ritual and courtesy. Today there are over 300 traditional archery clubs in Korea; additionally, the philosophy and training of traditional archery have been transferred to modern Olympic-style archery, at which Korean athletes have gained international recognition in recent years."

My red ash D section longbow is still my favourite bow.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Ascham]

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:42 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:Daryl,they're a wierd little contraption,wonder what they would be like to shoot..........Rod
Rod,

I think they would be great to shoot.

If I get one :wink: :wink: and you string it for me :roll: :roll: I will let you have a shot :P :P .

Daryl
[Ascham]

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 am

No problem i'll string it for ya mate :shock: .................Rod

AndyD

#10 Post by AndyD » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:46 pm

LB rod 55 wrote:No problem i'll string it for ya mate :shock: .................Rod
Looks like you would want safety goggles and a hector protector to string these things.... :lol:
Very interesting bow.
Where these an everday bow? It looks like it would be an excellent mounted bow with it's short length.
Would be difficult to string in a hurry at any rate
Common sense; so rare it should be considered a superpower.

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:42 am

Hi Rod and Daryl
LB rod 55 wrote:No problem i'll string it for ya mate :shock: .................Rod
Some instructions on how to do it.

There is a better video available on YouTube showing a Korean being strung but i will have to search for it - however the principle/technique is the same..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Uf07NN3gEg

addenda.

Here we are, watch from 6:00 into the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjPOkPl5 ... re=related

Lukas Novotny presents a good case for why Composite Bows are better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IGcYGwqb ... re=related
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Gringa Bows

#12 Post by Gringa Bows » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:12 am

He made it look easy,only problem would be my knees would'nt bend as good as his :( ,i might knock one of those bows up later today :roll: :lol: ....................Rod

ichiban

#13 Post by ichiban » Fri May 14, 2010 1:34 pm

i havent been able to find any proof that the smaller korean composists where used in warfair due to there stability issues as well as there dificulty stringing, the smaller ones as shown in the above pictures are sport bows
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by greybeard » Fri May 14, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi Ichiban,

I was not implying that the little pretzel looking bow was used in warfare.

The quotation from the [Museum of Anthropology] was to point out the long mitilary association of the bow and arrow used in Korean warfare.

Daryl.
[Ascham]

ichiban

#15 Post by ichiban » Sun May 16, 2010 6:34 am

ah i see, sorry misunderstood. have you been able to find any info about koreans using bows in warfair? i know they pride themselves on there arechery prowess but..i havent found good infomation about the tackle. one of there small curly bows would be an effort to maintain huh?? bet she would go out of tiller quite reugulay with the heat and string method
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy