Laminated Longbow help

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

pdccr

Laminated Longbow help

#1 Post by pdccr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:28 pm

I recently glued together a laminated longbow.

I have made a few mistakes in the process which isn't unusual but i need some help as to whether it will affect the end result. The first mistake i made was instead of putting the glass/bamboo/core x 2/handle/boo/glass i split the cores up and put the handle between them. I didn't realise i did because of the short pot life the glue had. It was all a blur of spreading and swearing.

I need some advice as to whether or not the bows performance will be altered and/or if i can fix it.

Thanks a heap.
Cheers, Toby

longbow steve

Re: Laminated Longbow help

#2 Post by longbow steve » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:48 pm

Hi Toby, have you run two laminations up the belly ramp of the handle? shouldn't alter performance at all, provided your glue lines are reasonably tight in the fade area it should be fine.
I have seen Steven Jawerth do this on his bows and it looks quite effective.
Steve

pdccr

#3 Post by pdccr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:18 pm

Yes. So going up the fadeouts i have 1 core lam, 1 bamboo lam and glass.

This is my first lam bow so i'm not sure how it will turn out. The glue lines look relatively good though i read that beginners usually use to much glue so i tried to minimise the glue wastage.

I will take some photos after i take them out of the form.
Cheers, Toby

pdccr

#4 Post by pdccr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:51 pm

Found another mistake. One of the glue lines is actually pretty bad.

Is there any possibility that i can just fill this one up? This is the only one, the other fade-out is fine.
Image008.jpg
Image008.jpg (92.34 KiB) Viewed 3615 times
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers, Toby

longbow steve

#5 Post by longbow steve » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:38 pm

Hi Toby, Grind the excess back, sometimes it is not as bad as you first think. Are you left handed? Somtimes you can cut them away when you cut the sight window.
Otherwise fill with epoxy :) . Steve

pdccr

#6 Post by pdccr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:47 pm

Unfortunately, i'm not left handed, which is good in any case as bows are hardly ever left handers.

I am waiting to cure it before i do any work. I will post some more pictures in a few hours. After that i will try to fill it with glue to see how that works.
Cheers, Toby

Gringa Bows

#7 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:35 pm

G'day Toby,what did you use to clamp it together :?: As Steve said fill with epoxy,maybe use a bit of thin wire to poke it in...............Rod

pdccr

#8 Post by pdccr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:32 pm

Rod,

I used G-clamps to clamp it together but i tried to use 2 curved bits of wood to clamp the fade-outs down.

Would it matter if i used normal glue to fill the gap? Without a hotbox the waitings killing me :lol:
Cheers, Toby

Gringa Bows

#9 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:00 pm

Toby,when i tie down a bow with rubber tube i use pieces of Bamboo flooring as pressure strip that goes from near the tip along the belly and up the ramp and used a couple of G clamps to help hold the handle in place,they were 40th. wide around 36in. long 4mm thick and from the fade out to a bit above the handle i hacksawed half way through half in apart so it bends up the ramp,then tied it all down ,worked for me,but now i've finished an airhose form,and almost finished my first bow off it :D ................Rod

pdccr

#10 Post by pdccr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:18 pm

I wasn't patient enough to make a full airhose form 8)

I am going to wait untill the morning to give the glue plenty of time to dry before i start shaping it. I also found out that fibreglass actually does blunten blades QUICKLY! I already need a new blade after squaring the ends.
Cheers, Toby

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Toby, I would fill that gap with whatever epoxy you used. Also some advice; DO NOT be in a rush mate. If you take your time you will be much less likely to make a mistake and have a good functional bow in the end.

When you rush you make mistakes!!!

I know it is easy to say this and you no doubt want to see the bow finished but from experience take your time. Remember the old saying, measure twice cut once! :D
Unfortunately, i'm not left handed, which is good in any case as bows are hardly ever left handers.
Say what? All my bows are left handers. :wink: :lol:
also found out that fibreglass actually does blunten blades QUICKLY! I already need a new blade after squaring the ends.
Nothing like glass to blunten and knock the set of the blade the moment they come in contact with each other. :(

Jeff

Gringa Bows

#12 Post by Gringa Bows » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:34 pm

thats why my bandsaw only cuts wood,i use a hacksaw to cut the ends off,and a table saw to cut the limbs............Rod

pdccr

#13 Post by pdccr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:42 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote: When you rush you make mistakes!!!
Jeff
It seems that the epoxy i used is known to have a very short pot life so i was in a bit of a rush to get the glue up done. I am going to attempt to take it slow but its all to exciting to let myself sit down :lol:
Stickbow Hunter wrote: Say what? All my bows are left handers. :wink: :lol:
Jeff
You mean held by the left hand? :wink:
Cheers, Toby

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#14 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:49 pm

You mean held by the left hand?
Nope, in my right hand. :D
It seems that the epoxy i used is known to have a very short pot life so i was in a bit of a rush to get the glue up done.
May I suggest using Smooth-On in future and you won't have that problem. It is an excellent epoxy - the industry standard really. I have been using it for approx twenty years now.

Jeff

pdccr

#15 Post by pdccr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:02 pm

Interesting.

I will keep the post updated with how im going (hopefully with no mistakes!).
Cheers, Toby

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#16 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:08 pm

Yeah mate you might be surprised the number of left handed shooters around. :D

I look forward to seeing your progress with the bow.

Jeff

longbowinfected

#17 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:41 pm

You can never have enough left handed bows or archers.

Kev
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

pdccr

#18 Post by pdccr » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:05 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:Yeah mate you might be surprised the number of left handed shooters around. :D

I look forward to seeing your progress with the bow.

Jeff
I have known people to change hands becuase they couldn't find a LH bow, but then again they dont appreciate the traditional style bows. Not that fibreglass is traditional :lol:

Will post pictures tomorrow.
Cheers, Toby

GrahameA

#19 Post by GrahameA » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:34 am

Morning Toby.
pdccr wrote:It seems that the epoxy i used is known to have a very short pot life so i was in a bit of a rush to get the glue up done.
Wait until a warm day comes along. :D

If you have a look at the last few I have made they have been built in stages. This has been done both because it is easier for me - bit of "klutz" - and as a result I have few issues with pot life.

As a thought more Traditional Bows can be held in either hand and shot. Or if you have a bow with the shelf being on the other side still just shoot it off your knuckle. A friend of mine holds his bow in his Right Hand and when shoots my bows he shoots of his knuckle - it works.

Then again Jeff seems to be able shoot holding a bow in either hand. :D
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

pdccr

#20 Post by pdccr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:41 am

GrahameA wrote:Morning Toby.
pdccr wrote:It seems that the epoxy i used is known to have a very short pot life so i was in a bit of a rush to get the glue up done.
Wait until a warm day comes along. :D
I'd rather not! :lol:

Today i will rasp the lams square and mark out the bow so i can hacksaw it down.
Cheers, Toby

longbow steve

#21 Post by longbow steve » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:10 am

Toby, When you rasp, do it into the bow from both sides otherwise you may split the glass. I find you have an hour with techniglue, Graeme K does it in air conditioned comfort in the kitchen if you can talk mum/dad into letting you? Steve

pdccr

#22 Post by pdccr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:14 am

longbow steve wrote:air conditioned comfort in the kitchen
I would if we had aircon.

What do you mean by both sides?

Also, i managed to get a small amount of glue on the fibreglass, my first thought was to sand it off but i was worried that i might scratch it. Any suggestions?
Cheers, Toby

longbow steve

#23 Post by longbow steve » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:23 am

100_1583.JPG
100_1583.JPG (87.53 KiB) Viewed 3513 times
Hi Toby, in the photo I am working from the back of the bow pushing forward but not touching the belly side glass as it can splinter off, when I want to work that side I turn the bow around and work into the bow.

pdccr

#24 Post by pdccr » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:53 am

Right, gotcha.

I thought you meant lengthways so i was a little confused. Got my new High Speed Steel blade so time to rough cut it out. I am going a little wide and taking it sloooow.
Cheers, Toby