Wood or carbon?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

longbow steve

Re: Wood or carbon?

#1 Post by longbow steve » Thu Jan 28, 2010 7:30 am

I havent purchased carbon arrows Tony but from what i have seen it is difficult to get a shaft heavy enough with out loading it in some way, compared to alloy or wood. However high spine coupled with small diameter travelling at a great rate seems to make up for these factors especially when coupled with a heavy point or broad head.
I hover around 9-11 gr/lb and keep all of my bows between 175-180fps as I shoot instinctively better at that speed for some reason. Steve

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:20 am

Should your carbon arrows follow the same grain per pound recommendations as for wooden arrows, 10gr/ pd of draw weight or can you be a little more lenient?
When it comes to recommended arrow weight in grains per pound of draw weight shaft material is irrelevant IMO. In other words the recommendation applies to the arrow regardless of what it is made from.

Jeff

huddo0312

#3 Post by huddo0312 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:35 pm

Stickbow Hunter wrote:When it comes to recommended arrow weight in grains per pound of draw weight shaft material is irrelevant IMO. In other words the recommendation applies to the arrow regardless of what it is made from.

Jeff

Also my belief Jeff. But as Steve says, you would have to load them in some way as carbon is, by it's very design, very light in weight. For example, I have just purchased a dozen Easton Powerflights in 300 spine. These shafts are 9.5gpi. So for use out of my 50# longbow using the recommended 10g/lb would need to be 500 grain at least. These shafts would need to be 52.6 inches in length. I use fly screen rubber tubing to weight up my arows but there are other methods.

Dave
I'm not young enough to know everything....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm

But as Steve says, you would have to load them in some way as carbon is, by it's very design, very light in weight.
I realize that Dave but my comments were in relation to the question as I read it " does the recommended arrow weight in grains per pound of draw weight apply to carbons as well as woods?" My answer was yes it applies to any arrow regardless of the material it is made from. Now, how one achieves that with carbons is another question altogether and one which I did not answer in my reply. Both you and Steve went the extra and gave answers to that question in your replies most probably because you both have knowledge of using carbons of which I don't. That is one of the great things about forums like this, there is usually someone who uses similar equipment to someone else and can give good advice in relation to using said equipment. :D

Jeff

clinton miller

#5 Post by clinton miller » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:06 pm

10gr/# is more of a recommendation on gaining the best efficiency from a trad bow. also as a guide for minimum arrow mass to safeguard the bow. however some people shoot less safely.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Benny Nganabbarru

#6 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:14 pm

Loading carbon is pretty easy with the range of inserts and adaptors available. I never had a problem getting 620 grain carbons, 704 grain carbons, and Grizzlystik carbons anywhere from 850 grains to 1200 grains, depending on what I was hoping for.
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

clinton miller

#7 Post by clinton miller » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:27 pm

as ben said there are plenty of options. the best part is you get to put most of the weight upfront. :twisted:
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

huddo0312

#8 Post by huddo0312 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:47 pm

Sorry Jeff. My answer was directed at Tony. To elaborate on his thread.

Dave
I'm not young enough to know everything....

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#9 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:54 pm

My mistake Dave, sorry. :oops:

Jeff

UPTHETOP

#10 Post by UPTHETOP » Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:01 pm

Tony as Ben said you can load anything these days.I shoot carbons, alloys and woods, I have them all at around the 550grn mark for my 55lb bows. All cutt to the same length and all shoot strait as an arrow you could say.
I use the carbons for hunting for the changable screw in heads simply useing the same shafts for all different animals just makes it easyier and a lot of less arrows for the same job.
I do shoot straiter with carbons for some reason and I think I owe it to the animal I shoot to use them when hunting.
But behold there is just something about using wood shafts. To watch them fly and lob in an arche into the target butt is just magic to watch. The bows seem to like them as well the bigger nocks the wider shafts and wood shooting wood to me is what trad is all about.
As I have learnt over the years the more wooden shafts you make the better you get at matching them to your bows and every now and then you hit the jack pot with a set. Its a rough guess but Id say the majority of trad shooters just like tinkering with bows and arrows until they get it just right.
The question is why when they get it right do they keep on tinkering if its all working?

Sorry just relised Im going of the topic and babbling on will stop.
Answer-YES dosnt really matter what there made of if there all the same weight and spine for the bow I recone they shoot the same.

Cheers Wayno
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.