varnishing shafts

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

MIK

varnishing shafts

#1 Post by MIK » Mon Feb 02, 2004 7:36 pm

just wondering how and what everyone uses to seal their shafts against moisture

i have been using a spray varnish which i am finding to work rather well however i am going to make some dip tubes and try that as well

look forward to reading about your methods

MIK

russ

#2 Post by russ » Mon Feb 02, 2004 8:13 pm

i use several coats of hand rubbed shellac. it gives the timber a nice french polished finish that is as smooth as silk. shellac and metho is cheap.....russ

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Feb 03, 2004 5:00 pm

MIK,

After sanding the shafts I seal them by applying a coat of clear varnish (Estapol or similar). I find the easiest way to do this is to take a piece of clean cotton cloth, soak it with varnish and then rub it up and down the shaft until it has a nice even coat and then let it dry. I wear those rubber disposable gloves when I do this. Some varnishes may need to be thinned which is something you will have to decide for yourself.

I think this is easier than dipping for a number of reasons. You don't have to worry about making dipping tubes and cleaning them. No problems storing the varnish. No problems with air bubbles.

I think it is better than spraying also as there is less wastage and you get better coverage.

Like Russ, I have also used the shellac and it does give a nice finish. If you wish to crown cap your arrows however, you can sometimes have the trouble you had of getting the paint to stick to it. I also like to seal the cap and cresting afterwards and the shellac isn't good for that IMO.

Jeff

doninkaliphornistan

sealing shafts ...

#4 Post by doninkaliphornistan » Wed Feb 04, 2004 1:56 am

after i have straightened, tapered and put on the nock and point tapers i sand the shaft with a fine grain sand paper then steel wool with OOOO steel wool, dye or stain with water or alcohol base stain/dye then apply 2-3 coats of clear minwax or varathane.

or simply apply minwax of the desired color directly to the shaft after sanding and steel wooling.

i then crest and fletch.

i seldom dip/apply a crown as it adds weight to the rear of the shaft... :roll:

also have to be careful of fletching cement used with which finish. some cements are not compatable with some finishes.
when in doubt, run in circles and scream and shout ...

TRASH

#5 Post by TRASH » Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:58 am

I use the sand and seal product in a dip tube first followed by a sand because thats what the sand and seal does it makes the fine hairy bits stand up. Then a coat of craftsman stain with a soft cloth then a coat of clear ... beautiful.
I made me dip tube out of 20 mm elect conduit costs a buck fifty and the end caps can be bought to suit. i leave the sand and seal in it because ya can seal the lid it has lasted me more months than i know how to count. A lttle trick i use is to get a piece of green scourer or those packs of cheapis from solly's or crazy clarke's. Cut a small cross in the middle of it [just enough for you to push your tapered cut end of the shaft through. Tape this over the end of the tube to act as a wiper,. it will fill up with the sealer and act almost like a paint brush grts rid of bubbles ect. It may take a couple of strokes to get a even finnish with the first couple until the pad does fill up. I do it once let it dry onite then dip again holding opposit end the next day.
Works for me and i'm very particular with me gear, EH Butcho
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING