How To Measure Length of Bows?

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

How To Measure Length of Bows?

#1 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jan 26, 2004 7:51 pm

Moderator's Note: I split these first few posts from the Momentum thread. The following quote - still in that thread, within its originating post - that started the separate topic will serve as introduction.

Cheers,

Erron:

I may have been doing it wrong all this time Mark P. but to my knowledge you measure longbows nock to nock across the back of the bow but not recurves.

With my recurves (and every other, production and custom that I've checked) the bow length is given as a measurement from nock to nock around the belly of the "unstrung" bow. The string length that this gives you will vary according to the design of the bow but an example with one of my bows..... a 62" recurve giving you a string length of about 58 3/4".

I thought that that was a "given" but would like to hear it verified from others in the know out there, thanks.

Mark K.
Mark K,
I thought the attraction of trad bowhunting was it's simplicity.......

Well yes, but simple things can be complicated! :? :lol:

I have only ever seen and heard in the past of bow lengths; longbow, recurve and selfbow, being measured along the back of the bow from string nock to string nock. With a recurve I believe this measurement is taken straight across the riser.

Measuring the length along the belly is new to me. Does any other bow manufacturer that you know of state that they measure their bows in this manner? Do you know if this way of measuring is documented anywhere so we could have a look at it?

Thanks

Jeff[/b]

#2 Post by Guest » Wed Jan 28, 2004 8:08 pm

Jeff,
Not sure what you mean "across the riser" can you explain that one :?:

I have read it a few times - that way of measuring recurves but can’t recall where. I would like to see it documented as well. Maybe it is one of those terms of contention that you get with archery.

On the face of it, measuring around the belly of the unstrung bow may be the best way to take into account the more or less radical nature of the recurve.

I know that the individuality of trad bows, particularly custom built ones, is part of the attraction but standardising some of the disputed terminology, reference points, measuring methods etc helps give more fair evaluations and comparisons at least it does for me.

I seem to recall Jeff, an article in the Aussiebowhunter I think, that you put forward on terminology or archery terms. A good effort from memory and I would suggest that it has a place here (if you don't mind that is}. Maybe between us here on this site we could begin to make clear some of the grey areas? Because grey areas there definitely are.

I have been measuring other recurves these last couple of days and have found that those that are marked for length are consistent with the method I have outlined.

Mark K.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:51 am

Mark,

Re the comment about measuring a recurve straight across the riser. I guess I should have worded that differently (I knew what I meant) :?

When measuring along the back of the unstrung bow, don't follow all the contours of the recurve riser. With your take down bows - measure along the back of the limb to the limb butt, then straight across to the other limb butt and then continue along the back of the limb. If you followed the contures of the riser it would add to the overall length and give you the wrong measurement. That's my understanding anyway.

Another thought why you measure a long the back is that your string nocks usually have a groove filed into the tip overlays on the back of the limbs - thus giving a distinct point to measure to. Aren't the string grooves slightly angled so the distance between them would be shorter on the belly side also.

When you think about it, I don't think that the measurement you get along the back as compared to the belly would be much different? Perhaps this is why you get the same measurement when you have checked other bows - this is of course if they were measured along the back of the bow by the manufacturer.

I have not been able to find anthing on measuring a bow along the belly yet. I see that Binghams, where you get some of your bows materials from, make their bow making components etc for recurves, from measurements taken along the back of the bow.

We will have to keep searching I guess.

I think that a glossary of archery terms would also be helpful. I don't mind if the one I wrote out is used as a starting point. Ask Erron and see what he thinks.

Jeff

erron

#4 Post by erron » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:22 pm

I think that a glossary of archery terms would also be helpful. I don't mind if the one I wrote out is used as a starting point. Ask Erron and see what he thinks.
- absolutely! I will get another forum up for a knowledge base soon, and this would be a great way to start! Jeff, please send, and anyone else who has something to contribute, please do so!

thanks guys,

Erron

#5 Post by Guest » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:22 pm

Jeff

I was wondering how else you could measure a recurve and come even remotely close to the marked length. Your way would do it, though it does come up shorter by around 1/2".

The string groove does angle in of corse. I use where the groove cuts the glass as reference points. Physically running the tape around the belly is easier than holding it in against the inside curve of the limbs.

It seems that I'm splitting hairs now and also running the risk of getting told off for being "off subject" :oops:

Mark K.

erron

#6 Post by erron » Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:29 pm

:lol: no Mark, but it really does warrant a thread on its own, I think, so I'll split the posts.

stay tuned!

Erron

Moderator's note: And here we are in that new thread. Makes ya' head spin this techo stuff, hey?

:lol:

Erron

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#7 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:12 pm

Mark K,

I find it is interesting when things like this come up. Maybe one of our American visitors can give us some info of references about measuring recurve lengths?

Maybe this is another reason I stuck to longbows. :wink: :lol:

Jeff

Glenn Newell

#8 Post by Glenn Newell » Fri Feb 06, 2004 8:37 pm

I have never heard of bows being measured along the belly. The AMO standard is measured along the back of the bow.