Feather Fletching Help Please

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

RUSS1

Feather Fletching Help Please

#1 Post by RUSS1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 10:48 am

Hello all,
First up, Thanks for all the interesting posts.
I am hoping someone can help me with fletching some arrows with feathers. I have a Jojan mono fletching jig with a straight / offset clamp. I read somewhere that broad headed arrows fly better out of a recurve shooting off the shelf when fletched with helical set feathers.
Will they fly truer when helical rather than offset in your experience?
If so, to what degree?
Thanks
Russ

matt_d

Re: Feather Fletching Help Please

#2 Post by matt_d » Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:38 pm

G'day Russ,
It is possible to get away with an offset fletch but depends very much on feather size, broadhead size, arrow weight and bow weight. The faster your bow and lighter the arrow, the less drag is required to stabilise the arrow. Having done comparisons I would always recommend a helical fletch for most trad hunting setups.
I have a Jojan fletching jig here with both LW and RW helical clamps, you are more then welcome to borrow one if you like, just let me know :D
Cheers,
Matt

RUSS1

#3 Post by RUSS1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks for the reply Matt.
When you explain the issues it all seems logical. I am shooting 52lb recurve off the shelf with Easton Legacy arrows, 125g outback supremes and plan to fletch 3x 4"feathers with the off set clamp.
The bow is a Damon Howatt I bought recently and is all new to me having gone back (forward) to traditional.
The offer of the loan is very much appreciated. I will try my jig first.
I am interested to hear of your testing and in particular the difference of going helical with my set up eg: how much accuracy would improve.
Thanks for taking the time to reply
Cheers
Russ
Last edited by RUSS1 on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Apr 26, 2009 2:46 pm

If it was me Russ I would be using 3 x 5" feathers when using broadheads. I also use helical as I want my arras to straighten up as fast as possible in case I do a bad release as I want my arra going straight when it hits. Your off set feathers should work but I do like the extra drag of the helical fletch.

Jeff

matt_d

#5 Post by matt_d » Sun Apr 26, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi Russ.. I have always found helical fletched hunting arrows enter the target straighter and group better at the distances you're likely to be shooting at game. Large helical fletching is no substitute for a poorly tuned arrow though, always good to make sure they are flying straight in the first place with a bareshaft test.. Jeff makes an excellent point that it's good to have a margin for error that the helical will provide because sometimes your releases will be less than perfect. I would hold off on the 4" fletches and get some 5" fletches too if it were me.. :)
Matt

RUSS1

#6 Post by RUSS1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks Jeff and Matt.
I already ordered the 4 inch unfortunately, but it won't be the last arrows I fletch. It is all a new learning experience for me after compound shooting. I intend on following both your advice.
I have also decided to get a helical clamp of my own Jeff. Good tools are a pleasure to use and own.
You guys have been outstandingly helpfull.
Cheers
Russ :D

Coach

#7 Post by Coach » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:53 pm

When you get your 4" feathers , try using 3 on as as much OFFSET as you can get on the shaft ,, I think you will find it to be enough ,, if you dont have a really bad release and you will have more feathers left over :wink:
5" would be better though as Jeff has said :)

kimall

#8 Post by kimall » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:55 pm

I use 4 four inch feathers for all my trad arrows now as I can nock the arrow without looking and it doesnt matter which way is which and gives 16 inches of feather over 15(3 fives). :wink:
Cheers KIM

RUSS1

#9 Post by RUSS1 » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:23 pm

As usual, endless experimenting is the go.
You guys have just narrowed the options which will do wonders for reducing the pain in my hip pocket.
Cheers
Russ :wink:

Lindsay

#10 Post by Lindsay » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:11 pm

:idea: 4X4" Helical. Works for me.
Dave Beeler Longbow 56" 60#
Kohannah Hunter T/D recurve 62" 56#
Motu Magnum R/D longbow 66" 74#