broad head sharpeners

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

jape

broad head sharpeners

#1 Post by jape » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:08 pm

Just bought one of those V shaped carbide-tipped sharpeners, a reputable brand and low-priced, and it is rubbish. I tried buying the one Mick Smith recommends from Alaskan but can't get their online shopping to work and they haven't bothered answering my email. I've got stones and files but was looking for a reasonably priced pocket sharpener. Any favourites?

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

Re: broad head sharpeners

#2 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:17 pm

One of the easiest things is to use a panel beaters bog file. Get a fine tooth one and mount it on a bit of flat board. They can be cut in half and made more compact. We have used them for many years. Take your head down until you have a little bur and then hit it with a diamond steel or similar and you will have a shaving sharp head.

Jeff

Benny Nganabbarru

#3 Post by Benny Nganabbarru » Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:25 pm

A really small one that stows-away nicely in your pack is the Redi-Edge from places like 3Rivers and Alaska Bowhunting Supplies (I'm not sure if Kustom King carry them). As for a not-so-small one, I do like the KME knife sharpener (because I have broadheads glued onto wooden shafts, otherwise the KME broadhead sharpener would be good) - Ron from KME is top-notch for service and advice. Dave Pender's Razor Edge (the same thing that Jeff already mentioned) is also pretty darn good (for details, see the ad in Archery Action).
It's the great, big, broad land 'way up yonder,
It's the forests where silence has lease;
It's the beauty that thrills me with wonder,
It's the stillness that fills me with peace.

clinton miller

#4 Post by clinton miller » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:32 am

all i use is a diamond steel. all my knives and b/heads are scary sharp.
for b/heads i start with a file and then the steel and finish by stropping on my armguard. no need for fancy contraptions to sharpen knives and broadheads IMO. you couldn't get more compact.

The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

Mick Smith

#5 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Mar 16, 2009 8:44 am

Hey Jape, I just use one of the little Alaskan Bowhunting Supply sharpeners in the field to touch up my broadheads after they've become dull and that's after I've missed yet another rabbit. :)

They are a great little lightweight tool that will give you a reasonable edge quickly, but they won't give me anywhere near as good an edge as what I can get in my shed at home.

At home, I use a file or coarse wet and dry emery paper to set up my angles on the blade. I then use finer and finer stones to achieve a very sharp edge. I start with a 6 x 2 inch aluminium oxide stone, which has a coarse and fine side. This stone doesn't require any honing oil. I bought mine at Bunnings for the pricely sum on $1. I then graduate to my fine Akansas oil stone, before finishing off on a strop, that has impregnated with a super fine cutting compound. It's a time consuming process, but it's the only way I know of achieving the sharpness I'm looking for.

There are some great sharpening tools out there though. If you check out the tools for sale at sites like http://www.kustomkingarchery.com and http://www.3riversarchery.com you will find all different types.

I believe the biggest secret in obtaining a good edge is being able to maintain your angles precisely. It's a knack that has to be gained with experience. Once you start changing your angles, even slightly, you will end up with an edge that just will not sharpen beyond a certain degree. Most of the tools that you can buy which are designed to give razor sharp edges are simply devises that hold your broadhead or knife at the correct angle while you work on the edge.

I don't believe there's a pocket sharpener out there that will give us the sort of edge we want. The little Alaskan Bowhunting Supply unit is good, as it not only uses its 'V' shaped carbon carbide cutters to give you an edge, it's completly coated with a permanent abrasive compound that you can use to take off any small burrs, etc. The finished edge isn't one I would want to shave with, but it's certainly an improvement over using a broadhead that's become dull after use.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

jape

#6 Post by jape » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:44 am

I am embarrassed to say that after more than forty years as a chippie, knife collector, tree feller and various other things all requiring sharpness, I STILL cannot manage a top-class edge. I have tried everything, including roller guides and I know you are right Mick, get the angles and work down and it has to be razor sharp if the steel is OK. Oh yes, except when I do it! I have had very skilled people show me for years - I still remember the look of bemusement on Granpa's face (a Master Builder and Engineer, model maker and more) more than forty years ago as I stuffed it up again and again, on the face of my instructor when I was starting joinery (I won prizes for design and theory but came in near the bottom on execution), on the site-foreman's face when I went and bought a new chisel rather than sharpen one. The story goes on. I ended up employing people to do part of the jobs I should have done both as a builder, antiques restorer and more!

And now it is haunting me as I come back to archery.

Its not the end of the world, I can manage a sharp enough edge that I can usually cut firewood, shave a bit of wood and get the BH to where I wouldn't feel bad about hitting a rabbit or fox with, just that final 'line of light' evades me.

clinton miller

#7 Post by clinton miller » Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:05 am

hey mick my steel fits in my pocket and it gives a first class edge. this tool is how i get and maintain a truly razor edge be it at home or after picking up an arrow out of the dirt 15km's from camp. i couldn't continue to hunt with an arrow if i couldn't get it as sharp in the field after a shot than i could at home originally.
who keeps a kme in their back pocket?
most two blade glue on broadheads have an angle guide built into them...............the ferrule. lay the file and steel on the broadhead so that it rests on the edge and the ferrule at the same time. there's your angle, no way you can change the angle if you keep the sharpner in contact with both. works for me everytime.

each to their own. but i like the $30 steel i haven't worn out in six years that weighs next to nothing.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

Mick Smith

#8 Post by Mick Smith » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:04 pm

I've never tried a diamond sharpener Clinton. They were always a little pricey for me. Now they seem a little cheaper, I'd like to buy one and try it out. Your recommendation of their value has made me keener than ever. :wink: I wonder how one of those ones the size and shape of a business card would perform? At least they would be convenient to carry around.

Don't worry Jape, my edges are rarely as keen as I'd like them to be too. :) The single most helpfull thing I've found to achieve a good edge is a strop. It gets rid of that persistant tiny burr and puts a final polish on the edge.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

jape

#9 Post by jape » Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:50 pm

I shall try again with my files/stones and use the ferrule trick (thanks for that), despite logic saying it can't work more than once because the metal wears away and alters the angle it would be within a degree or two at first :lol: .

Mick, I have tried three times now to get that one you recommended, just because you recommended it! I am a bit fed up with Alaska BS, someone has the same email and name as me they say, so I cannot use that account or open another using my name (it rejects me), then when I ask for the password to that account (obviously it would be sent to that email) it never comes. I had this problem before with them and they said it would be resolved but it wasn't. This time they have simply ignored my query. They certainly don't want my business! But it looks as if the sharpener they have is exactly the same as several others, just has reprinted different names on it so I shall get it elsewhere!

Still can't make my mind up, that's the only trouble with asking questions on here, you get lots of very good and very different advice!

clinton miller

#10 Post by clinton miller » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:03 am

jape- your right but the diamond steel takes off so little material between sharpenings that it isn't an issue. i use a file to establish the original edge and after that a steel is all i ever use.
think of it like this........ imagine how many sharpenings you would have to do before you have removed enough edge to bring the angle back to where a kme starts off. ALOT! the b/head would be significantly narrower.

Nephew

#11 Post by Nephew » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:45 am

Guys, I've been looking at "King of Knives" and they have some reasonably priced sharpeners suitable for broadheads. You can find them in suburban shopping centres too! http://www.kingofknives.com/Cutlery/Sha ... ---Blocks/
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

otis.drum

#12 Post by otis.drum » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:58 am

clinton, that steel is pretty small. where did yo get it? i used to work in an abitiors years ago so i have plenty of steels but they are all fumm length.
...otis...

clinton miller

#13 Post by clinton miller » Tue Mar 17, 2009 1:06 pm

bought it from a camping shop years ago. the handle is a bit misleading. i cut most of it off to make it more compact. i see 3Rivers has one. they call it a jewelstik. i think mine might even be called that.

Nephew

#14 Post by Nephew » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:22 pm

Hey Clinton, my camera isn't as good with detail as yours, but SNAP!
Attachments
001.JPG
001.JPG (125.03 KiB) Viewed 4140 times

clinton miller

#15 Post by clinton miller » Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:48 pm

you got it. do you like using it? as you know i love mine. broadheads, knives, it does it all for me. don't forget the strop for that hair popping edge. ie- armguard :D

hey i just checked out the king of knives site. those e-z-lap blocks would work well. just lay the broadhead on there with the ferrule and the edge touching and go for it.

Nephew

#16 Post by Nephew » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:09 pm

Yeah, I've only had mine for a week, but it certainly does the job. All my knives, and Sharons kitchen knives are as sharp as (Bro :) ). I can't quite shave a patch on my arm with this knife, though. Haven't tried it on broadheads yet, I have Wensel Woodsman three blades so it'll take a bit of experimenting. Did you notice the knives are the same too? Different brand, mines "Old Cutler" but the same style. I believe it's called "Australian Stockman"

otis.drum

#17 Post by otis.drum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:49 pm

i just remembered my old kershaw came with a colapsable diamond sharpener. ill give that a go.

it's one of these...if it works

http://www.kershawknives.com/productdet ... nd=kershaw
...otis...

jape

#18 Post by jape » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:17 pm

Please do not make posts that 'accidentally' lead me to more knives! I do not need a Kershaw tanto I have similar already ... I do not need a Kershaw tanto I have similar already ... I do not need a Kershaw tanto I have similar already ... I do not need a Kershaw tanto I have similar already ... I do not need a Kershaw tanto I have similar already ... I do not need a Kershaw tanto I have similar already ... I do not need a Kershaw tanto I have similar already ... I do not need a Kershaw tanto I have similar already ... I do not need a Kershaw tanto I have similar already ... I do not need a Kershaw tanto I have similar already ...

otis.drum

#19 Post by otis.drum » Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:40 pm

you don't need a kershaw tanto you have similar already
...otis...

ottis

#20 Post by ottis » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:09 am

i have mates i have hunted with for years and some of them still cant obtain that perfect edge, and yes it is all about maintaining angles and ensuring you take enough metal off the shoulder initially,this makes it a lot easier to keep that angle going.IFyouve done enough groundwork initially keeping heads sharp in the scrub is a sinch and a small quality and i mean quality med to hard stone is far better than any type of steel or other device out there. I also carry a short lengh of leather out scrub, i wont (cant) go scrub without scary sharp arras.

DylanK

#21 Post by DylanK » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:15 pm

Clinton how do touch up the broadheads on the carbide steel? Isnt it akward as the steel is rounded?

Also when using the ferrule as a guide on broadheads, i tried that and so much metal gets taken off the ferule it now has flat spots all over it.

ichiban

#22 Post by ichiban » Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:43 pm

i vote whet stone and NO oil.
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

clinton miller

#23 Post by clinton miller » Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:41 pm

dylan- similar action to the way you see a butcher touching up his knives on a steel. i'd do a broadhead sharpening demo if i could work out how to put a video recording onto the computer then onto youtube. but i'm not that smart :cry:

BTW- ottis said it all. the trick is to get the shoulder down to less than the working angle you are going to maintain. that way in 2 or 3 swipes on the diamond steel you are back to razor sharp.
say if you had a knife whose blade was 25mm wide and 2.5mm thick on the back edge. to maintain that edge angle you would have to remove material off the whole face of the blade parallel with the original face. ALOT of work.

on my blackstumps the edge angle i establish with the grinder is smaller than the angle i sharpen them with by laying it on the steel with the ferrule and the edge touching at the same time. this way it takes hardly any effort to maintain the edge because i don't have to remove as much material to bring that edge back to "don't want to be in the same room sharp" :lol:

excelpoint

#24 Post by excelpoint » Mon Mar 30, 2009 5:59 pm

I use one of these http://www.3riversarchery.com/product.asp?i=4233 couple of minutes work and the broadheads are shaving sharp every time and it is small and light enough to easily go in your day pack etc. Best buy Ive made for a while.

Coach

#25 Post by Coach » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:12 pm

Please excuse me if I am being ,,,, well whatever ,,, but I find it really funny that so many TRAD HUNTERS ,, or for that matter ,, any Hunter ,, that cant sharpen a bloody broadhead or a knife, without buying fancy tools :lol: :lol:

Dont mind me ,, painkilllers , Port and Gout make a cynical Jeff :lol:

excelpoint

#26 Post by excelpoint » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:16 pm

So what do you use Coach? Your teeth? Who cares who uses what as long as it gets the job done.

Coach

#27 Post by Coach » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:19 pm

Oh excelpint ,,keep ya knickers on . As for my Teeth ,, they would be sharper than some of the heads that have been shown to me in the past as well .
I use a file or a stone and a steel , just like they did in the good old days :wink:

It amazes me how SOME want to be "ALL TRAD " etc and seperate themselves from those really bad compound users with all their technology etc ,, and yet ya cant even get a blade sharp without all the Tech stuff :lol:
Mind you ,, some of those compounders cant sharpen a blade either :roll: :lol:

Gringa Bows

#28 Post by Gringa Bows » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:54 pm

thats what i use too just a file and steel quick easy shavin sharp in no time.....................Rod

excelpoint

#29 Post by excelpoint » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:04 pm

My knickers are well and truely on just simply replying to the statement that YOU made. As for all the fancy techno stuff, mine is just a file as well which happens to be attached to a nice block of allumunium and since when did this thread turn into a who wants to be a "real" trad shooter? I thought it was about who uses what to sharpen a broadhead. Just so you know I use a auto file and strop on my single bevel broadheads but prefer my other sharpner for my double bevel heads as it is faster and easier to use.

clinton miller

#30 Post by clinton miller » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:06 am

i've actually been lying the whole time. what i really use is a chunk of sandstone :lol: :lol:

really, use whatever you are able to get a sharp edge with. obviously some people find it harder to sharpen things with basic tools than others, thats why this thread was started in the 1st place. someone asking for ideas in order to find an easier way to go about it.