old fashioned arrowheads

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

jape

old fashioned arrowheads

#1 Post by jape » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:36 pm

http://www.medieval-fightclub.com/category27_1.htm
I just came across this place today and found a load of interesting different arrowheads, I ordered a couple (chippenham, lance and bodkin) to see what they are like. Will look good on the wall if nothing else!

pdccr

Re: old fashioned arrowheads

#2 Post by pdccr » Thu Feb 19, 2009 5:28 pm

I like all the bodkins, they are nice but a bit pricey for me. I will stick to field points.
Cheers, Toby

Mububban

#3 Post by Mububban » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:20 pm

The swallowtails shoudl be fine, but a friend made some target arrows using the machined short bodkins, and they are weak at the shoulder/base of the head itself. A couple of them snapped clean off, leaving the headless socket still glued to the shaft.

They do look wonderful though, I've made a half dozen as show arrows.

jape

#4 Post by jape » Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:30 pm

Thanks mate, I shall just fix 'em up as historical arrows then for the wall display next to my magickal crow arrow and the 'peacock delight' that I finished in purple sparkle paint! Happy to do that, they will look too nice to break or lose in my usual manner ...

waynerob

#5 Post by waynerob » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:20 pm

I use his heads for all my historic arrows, just got a delivery of tanged heads to play with.

jape

#6 Post by jape » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:13 pm

They arrived very quickly, registered post too, a bit rough and ready but authentic looking, worth the dollars for a couple of historical arrows. I got the ones for tapers.

Sounds simple, but how do you fix the tangs? I assume drill a hole and use pitch and bind? I made one myself ages ago and it broke the shaft behind the tang first hit! Maybe they were meant to snap off inside someone!

Mububban

#7 Post by Mububban » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:24 pm

Yeah I had the same idea and concerns re the tanged arrowheads. Were they ever meant to be used more than once??? Short of dissecting what you just shot to retireve the head of course. Even with a perfectly sized drill hole, and tight binding, the head will still act as a perfect wood-splitting wedge on impact wouldn't it?

waynerob

#8 Post by waynerob » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:20 pm

We'll find out when I do them! :lol: