help with acacia species identification and properties

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

muntries

Re: help with acacia species identification and properties

#31 Post by muntries » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:43 am

Brian,

I'll need a little more than that. There are something like 900 species of Eucalyptus in Australia, not to mention the cross-species hybrids etc that just confuse the hell out of the most experienced botanist. If you take a picture of the leaf, close up shots of the gumnut and gum nut cluster and any flower buds and I might be in with a bit of a chance of identifying it for you.

Simon
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#32 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:40 pm

Brian,

Going by the heart wood colour and the bark and considering it came from near Brisbane it looks like what we call Blue Gum.

Jeff

fieldpoint

#33 Post by fieldpoint » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:27 pm

Thanks for the tips Simon, Jeff,, but no leaves are available. I will work at it and see how it turns out. I have made a few longbows from Queensland silver ash and they were okay. I passed on the best ones and kept the not so good ones for myself. Of course they broke due to timber/grain defects. For this timber I will pattern a bow on the same as I used for teh Qld silver ash except I will have the natural lamination of sap and heartwood to play with.

Cheers
Brian H