help with acacia species identification and properties

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

clinton miller

help with acacia species identification and properties

#1 Post by clinton miller » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:06 pm

can anyone help identify this species of wattle (acacia ???????) it grows on my parents property in eukey, just south of stanthorpe, QLD. it grows in very rocky ground. the elevation here is just over 1000m, which makes for cold winters and warm summers. average rainfall is 30 iches/year. it is not overly common here, with only a few trees that i know of. it has a pale sapwood and a red heartwood. it's the only wattle i know of around here with red heartwood. i've ripped some staves and billets out of a tree. they are seasoning now. they took some reflex when ripped from the log. as a kid i used to get a suitable bendy branch from this wattle, put a bailing twine string on it and go for it. it used to last really well and flung arrows hard. well for a 12 year old. :mrgreen:

The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

border black douglas recurve 70# & 58# HEX6-H BB2 limbs
brigalow selfbow with rawhide string

longbow steve

Re: help with acacia species identification and properties

#2 Post by longbow steve » Fri Feb 06, 2009 3:43 pm

Looks like Blackwood Clinton (Acacia Melonoxylen) Could be wrong.
Not good in compression, Chrysalls but will make a bow. Steve

Graeme K

#3 Post by Graeme K » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:09 pm

Steve could be correct but it could also be any one of many similar trees like Salicifolia which grows up that way. You really need a photo of the flowers and seed pods to make a good identification.

Graeme

longbowinfected

#4 Post by longbowinfected » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:20 pm

close up 10-20 times clean cut end grain would help plus info such as its green mass per cubic metre too...which can be determined by the immersion method.....but I reckon both Steve and Graeme are pretty close with what is available.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

clinton miller

#5 Post by clinton miller » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:25 am

sorry i can't get any more photos or info. i'm in canada now for a while.
thanks.
The degree of satisfaction gained from the accomplishment of a goal is directly proportional to the hardships and challenges overcome in order to achieve it.

Glenn

#6 Post by Glenn » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:53 am

Clinton with so many species of wattle and with different species being called by the same name you will never be certian what you have. You would be better off sending a small section of it off the the forestry and they will tell you exactly what you have, if you really have to know.
I have seen that wattle growing down that way in the past and always thought I would like to make a bow from it. I would just cut some for staves and billets and try a few. If the timber doesen't work as a self bow or with a backing it might make a very good all wood composite bow...Glenn...

longbowinfected

#7 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:21 am

You can send small billets, tiles of timber to me if you wish along with photos and info. I have just finished a degree in Forestry but have been collecting a huge reference collection for years. If I cannot figure it out I have 3 or 4 mentoring professors who can help. Samples of the leaves and fruit/pods etc help as my wife is a horticulturist and arborist....

Just pm me and I can send my contact/address details.

I am sure that guys like Graeme K can also help because of their engineering and bowyer skills/knowledge experience. As a collective this forum is awesome.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

clinton miller

#8 Post by clinton miller » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:35 pm

one problem in supplying samples is that i'm presently in canada.

longbowinfected

#9 Post by longbowinfected » Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:18 pm

yep, bit difficult from there, but I guess you will not be working on them for a while.....

Kevin

Dennis La Varenne

#10 Post by Dennis La Varenne » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:30 am

Clinton,

Your pics look very much like the Blackwoods we have down here in Victoria which grow in similar hard country on dry ridges. But there are a lot of subspecies of Blackwoods and as Kevin, Graeme and Glenn suggest, you will really need to have it identified by a trained botanist. The bark, wood and leaves are often similar between sub-species which makes things difficult and the decider is the fruits and flowers.

However, once you have an identification, you can look up the mechanical specs of that specie as a guide to how you can best use it in what design of bow.

Dave (Yeoman) Clarke posted a thread on using maths to blueprint bows. In it, he demonstrated a simple bending test where you can actually calculate the elastic limit and the modulus of rupture of the specific wood you have at hand and apply them to a parallel thickness circular bending flatbow.

One day he is going post (I hope) the maths on blueprinting an eliptical bending flatbow which is the more common design, but there is enough information in his thread to build a bow within the mechanical specs of the wood you have without having to identify it at all.

Dennis La Varenne
Dennis La Varénne

Have the courage to argue your beliefs with conviction, but the humility to accept that you may be wrong.

QVIS CVSTODIET IPSOS CVSTODES (Who polices the police?) - DECIMVS IVNIVS IVVENALIS (Juvenal) - Satire VI, lines 347–8

What is the difference between free enterprise capitalism and organised crime?

HOMO LVPVS HOMINIS - Man is his own predator.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#11 Post by greybeard » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:57 pm

Hi Clinton,

The wattle leaves in your photo look similar to the wattle growing on our club grounds at Yatala, just south of Brisbane.
Black WattleFlowers.jpg
Black WattleFlowers.jpg (49.83 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
Black Wattle Billet 012.jpg
Black Wattle Billet 012.jpg (53.45 KiB) Viewed 2444 times
This morning I was speaking to a bowyer regarding the [black wattle?] and he mentioned that he had successfully made self bows from this material.
A slight convex belly worked for him. It was a balancing act between late and early growth.

As always the timber will dictate what style of bow should be crafted. Other factors to consider are length of bow n to n, draw length and draw weight.
The only way to find out if it is suitable is to have a go.

Grub infestation can present problems when laying out a selfbow. This is a slice off the limb I used for laminations.
Black Wattle Bow copy.jpg
Black Wattle Bow copy.jpg (34.82 KiB) Viewed 2442 times
I have used early growth from [black wattle?], a major limb about 5 inches in diameter [the trunk is shown] as core laminations under glass and it worked extremely well i.e. good recovery.

Daryl.
Last edited by greybeard on Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

kimall

#12 Post by kimall » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:28 pm

Clinton mabey I can help if you like I could spend a few days hunting the block if there is game AND take some samples and send them off to get tested. :D :wink: I live not that far from Stanthorpe.
Cheers KIM

clinton miller

#13 Post by clinton miller » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:21 am

our place is only 24 acres. only rabbits. when i get back from canada i'll look you up and go for a hunt somewhere. i'm always keen to meet new hunting partners.

kimall

#14 Post by kimall » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:51 pm

Cheers mate I might be able to get you onto a few goats.
KIM

Mick Smith

#15 Post by Mick Smith » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:21 pm

I'm very keen to harvest some black wattle here in southern Victoria. The only trouble is, the tree I know as black wattle doesn't look anything like the ones pictured in the posts above.

I have many, of what I thought were black wattles growing on my property, but they have completely different leaves and trunk. Here's a link which has photos of black wattles (the ones I have) ... http://asgap.org.au/APOL19/sep00-4.html

There are varieties of wattle that grow hereabouts that do look very similar to the ones in Greybeard's photos.

Which is the best wattle for making selfbows? Does anyone know it's scientific name?

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

longbow steve

#16 Post by longbow steve » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi Mick, The Blackwattle I know looks like yours, alot of folk call Blackwood and subspecies of blackwood, Blackwattle :D did you get that?Steve

DylanK

#17 Post by DylanK » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:17 pm

kimall wrote:Clinton mabey I can help if you like I could spend a few days hunting the block if there is game AND take some samples and send them off to get tested. :D :wink: I live not that far from Stanthorpe.
Cheers KIM
I was gonna suggest the same thing, only 3 hours from there :lol:

Dylan

giaCAMO FLAGEioli

#18 Post by giaCAMO FLAGEioli » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:20 pm

hi mate , a website to delve into that may help is called "worldwidewattle.com"
U might be able to track it in there , goto identification in its menu and navigate in from there, google in " Australian wattle identification " or similar phrase and there might be other sites that will have ID files to search / compare .
good luck in your quest....... Nat

p.s. -- a google image search with a phrase such as " australian wattle species " , " australian acacia species " etc. , might make it easier to search , if anyone has ID'd and logged it online , its image will turn up , image search a bit quicker than trolling endlessly thru sites , hope this helps ya mate

danceswithdingoes

#19 Post by danceswithdingoes » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:57 am

Glenn Newell or Alan Camp would be your best bet for an id.
ImageImage

clinton miller

#20 Post by clinton miller » Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:10 am

i'm leaving canada very soon to go back home. so i will be able to follow up on things.

kimall- pm me with where you are in toowoomba and i'll drop round to meet you. have to go there anyway to get stuff from the inlaws before we move to Gove, NT. maybe i can bring a stave with me. :wink:

any other timbers worth cutting staves out of up stanthorpe way anyone??
i'll need to get them cut while i'm there before we move on to the NT.

danceswithdingoes

#21 Post by danceswithdingoes » Sat Jun 13, 2009 1:22 pm

Mick Smith wrote:I'm very keen to harvest some black wattle here in southern Victoria. The only trouble is, the tree I know as black wattle doesn't look anything like the ones pictured in the posts above.

I have many, of what I thought were black wattles growing on my property, but they have completely different leaves and trunk. Here's a link which has photos of black wattles (the ones I have) ... http://asgap.org.au/APOL19/sep00-4.html

There are varieties of wattle that grow hereabouts that do look very similar to the ones in Greybeard's photos.

Which is the best wattle for making selfbows? Does anyone know it's scientific name?

Mick
Mick, Acacia Dorotoxylon, Lancewood/Spearwood, is quite a good wood, as is Motherinbah (scientific name?) a tall straight wattle from the Warrumbungles in northern NSW.
ImageImage

Mick Smith

#22 Post by Mick Smith » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:38 pm

Many thanks DWD. :wink:

There doesn't seem to be many lancewood trees in Victoria, but there are some, apparently. I've done a fairly extensive Google search on the subject.

I have noticed some very similiar looking trees growing not that far from home, so you can bet that I'll be checking them out thoroughly. :D

I couldn't find any references to a tree with the name of 'motherinbah' though.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Laurent

#23 Post by Laurent » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:24 pm

Acacia spirorbis ,I think!
I have exactly the same in my garden :wink:

danceswithdingoes

#24 Post by danceswithdingoes » Mon Jun 15, 2009 7:52 pm

not spirorbis, too far south for that one, I cant remember the name for motherinbah, Alan Camp and Ron White came up to Coona in 2001 and we tracked down some nice staves, grows tall upwards of 20m straight up with a tuft of foliage at the top and long sickle leaves. Has some of the best bow properties ever. Another you could try in Stanthorpe to find these http://www.worldwidewattle.com/speciesg ... iflora.php
ImageImage

clinton miller

#25 Post by clinton miller » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:09 am

thanks but the link wouldn't work for me. tried googling it too, still no luck.

danceswithdingoes

#26 Post by danceswithdingoes » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:45 pm

link works for me :?: Acacia Sparsifolia was the species, it may even be the one you originally photographed as the juveniles have a fatter leaf which gets slender as it matures.
ImageImage

clinton miller

#27 Post by clinton miller » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:47 pm

maybe it's Acacia implexa?????????

what sort of limb cross section should i use? i'll be back in stanthorpe for good very soon so i'm going to have a go at making a self bow. what demensions should i start with?

muntries

#28 Post by muntries » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:08 pm

Clinton, top photo is definitely Acacia implexa! Have a look at the seed and if the fleshy arils around the black seeds are white its implexa, if it's red its blackwood (A. melanoxylon). Very closely related species. Melanoxylon also has blunt leaf tips and not as sickle shaped leaves.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

muntries

#29 Post by muntries » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:17 pm

Ok, I would say that this is almost definitely not Acacia melanoxylon (blackwood, tasmanian blackwood) Blackwood also has a very disjunct population in queensland and northern NSW but others may disagree. Rocky soils maybe but it likes to be quite near to water sources such as creeks, swamps (tas and southern vic) and damp depressions.

Others that look like this is Golden Wattle (Acacia pycnantha) but is often a scrappy tree when I see it and it has one central vein down the Phyllode (leaf). Other one that I know of is Acacia implexa (lightwood) and can grow to a tree about 15-20m, flowers are round pom poms and occur on branched clusters rather than the bottlebrush ones occuring on some ofther acacia species, A. implexa also tends to flower sporadically in Summer through to Autumn rather than usual winter flowering and spring flowering of most Acacia. A. implexa also has multiple veins along the phyllode like blackwood.

As far as I know lightwood was valued for its timber in the past, not sure about populations in the north but those of Vic tend to suffer from a lot of problems of gall attack on the smaller branches and also small fragmented populations mean that a lot of the existing stands of it in Vic are inbred and dying out :(

Hope that helps. Provide me with an updated photo of leaves, flower buds and any old pods on the tree and we might be able to wittle it down to a few.
"With staff in hand, the hunter stood on Radholme's dewy lawn" The Hunters Song (Olde Lancashire Poem) by Richard Parkinson.

fieldpoint

#30 Post by fieldpoint » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:44 pm

The photos I have placed here are eucalypt froma stand of bush being cleared for a new road - near Brisbane. I split this half log today as it was showing a few small longitudinal cracks. I don't know what this timber is called but would like to know in case teh longbow I make actually turns out okay.

Brian H
Attachments
IMG_0820.JPG
IMG_0820.JPG (53.07 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
Copy of IMG_0825.JPG
Copy of IMG_0825.JPG (115.03 KiB) Viewed 2023 times
Copy of IMG_0822.JPG
Copy of IMG_0822.JPG (101.16 KiB) Viewed 2023 times