snake skin backing

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

hellier

snake skin backing

#1 Post by hellier » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:07 pm

I've been given a couple of sloughed snake skins, diamond ? python apparently...and I'm wondering if I'd fall foul of the EPA if I used them as backings.... I know I should probably contact the EPA direct but don't wanna have to hand 'em over if it's a no-no to possess them....a mate found 'em in his stables....honest!
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

longbow steve

Re: snake skin backing

#2 Post by longbow steve » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:13 pm

Hi Hellier, If they are just the shed skins I dont know that they would be suitable any way. In the US they are useing tanned snake hide I beleive.
3 Rivers sell the rattle snake skins, Maybe John Macdonald can get some in for us??
Steve

jape

#3 Post by jape » Fri Feb 06, 2009 4:30 pm

You can legally use SHED or CAST skins (and feathers also :lol: ) but not take a skin from roadkill or similar even on private property. I got this information from the relevant departments last year and will find the resources if you need them. As decoration they would be legal, as strengthening they would be weak.

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:52 pm

Some 18 months back I wanted to bring in snake skins from 3 Rivers Archery.

I contacted Australian Customs, explained the situation etc and their reply was a definate NO.

It was of no concern to the customs officer that they are freely available on the U.S. market.

Apparently the beaucratic bunglers that reside in that big building in Canberra signed a document to outlaw the use of snake skins.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

otis.drum

#5 Post by otis.drum » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:06 pm

you can buy bows from the US already backed with snake skin. is that ok to import? if so whats the difference?
...otis...

jamie

#6 Post by jamie » Fri Feb 06, 2009 8:42 pm

check out ebay under taxidermy there is quite often snake skins for sale mostly cobra skins
whack'em,stack'em,chill'em and grill'em

otis.drum

#7 Post by otis.drum » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:13 pm

ther's a rattler skin on ebay at moment, with rattle.
...otis...

hellier

#8 Post by hellier » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:20 pm

hey thanks jape...I will check with the local depts...epa I suppose or parks and wildlife....btw who did you speak to?...I got two full length skins each about 2.5 m long....I reckon they'd look wicked :lol:
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

jape

#9 Post by jape » Tue Feb 10, 2009 1:37 pm

hellier wrote:hey thanks jape...I will check with the local depts...epa I suppose or parks and wildlife....btw who did you speak to?...I got two full length skins each about 2.5 m long....I reckon they'd look wicked :lol:
I spoke to my local MP (email) and told her what I required as I was getting nowhere dealing with bureaucrats on the phone! She got onto the relevant dept., I think it was the Victorian equivalent of Parks and Wildlife. In the end I got it in writing:
http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... d+feathers