stringing a longbow

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

shehan

stringing a longbow

#1 Post by shehan » Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:25 pm

hi all, i have just bought my first longbow (usually shoot compound) and am not sure on the right technique to string it. i cant use a bow stringer because the longbow has cowhorn tips. i have tried the push pull method but find this too difficult. any advice?

gundy

Re: stringing a longbow

#2 Post by gundy » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:05 pm

Gday Shehan.

The pull/push is by far the best method, however you can use the step through method :However:! It must be done properly!

I do not use it but somebody here should be able to chime in on the correct procedure.

Are you sure a stringer will not work? Those as made by Selway where one end slips over the limb, should work fine.

jape

#3 Post by jape » Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:18 pm

I'm with Guy, push-pull works very well for me and I have a bad back but can do it easily. Maybe you need someone to show you/watch you as getting the angles wrong will make it difficult and maybe dangerous. Where are you near?

Welcome to Ozbow by the way!

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by greybeard » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi Shehan,

At times the push/pull method can be difficult if the bow is longer than your reach or is of a heavy poundage.
The step through method works well but as Gundy pointed out get a person experienced in this method to show you the correct technique.
I am not a fan of the single pocket and rubber block type of stringer. The ones I've seen being used [maybe incorrectly] place unequal stress on the limbs. The limb with the pocket is almost at full draw while the limb with the block is lucky to get past brace height.

Enjoy your new bow.

Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

shehan

#5 Post by shehan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:29 am

thanks for the help guys, i think i better wait until i talk to some of the trad shooters at the club. by the way the stringer i am using is one with the block. i am assuming there is no stringer that will work for my bow with cowhorn tips?

GrahameA

#6 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:46 am

shehan wrote:thanks for the help guys, i think i better wait until i talk to some of the trad shooters at the club. by the way the stringer i am using is one with the block. i am assuming there is no stringer that will work for my bow with cowhorn tips?
One of the Cowhorn tips can have double nocks cut into it so you use can use a seperate string to flex the bow to allow you fit the bowstring. Simple stringer.

Take it back to the bowyer and get them to cut a second nock into it.

Don't use the step through method unless you know exactly what you are doing.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

shehan

#7 Post by shehan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:58 am

yes the top limb cowhorn tip has a second notch cut into it. so will the cowhorn tip take the pressure of a stringer. please excuse my ignorance

GrahameA

#8 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:09 am

shehan wrote:yes the top limb cowhorn tip has a second notch cut into it. so will the cowhorn tip take the pressure of a stringer. please excuse my ignorance
It is setup to take a "stringer".

What you need is a "string" with loops at both ends that will fit into the grooves. I use some venetian blind cord.

The stringer need to be long enough so that it fit loosely and you can stand on it.

To use.

Fit the bow string on the lower nock and it should be loose on the other limb.

Fit the lower loop of the stringer over the bowstring on the lower nock and onto the outer nock of the double nock tip.

Stand on the stringer string with both feet, pull up the bow and slide the bowstring into place on the lower nock. :D

To unstring the bow do the reverse.

I will see if I can find some photos.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

shehan

#9 Post by shehan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:17 am

thanks a lot for all your advice

shehan

#10 Post by shehan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:19 am

sorry, i forgot to mention that it only has a double notch on the top limb. the bottom one only has one notch where the string goes

GrahameA

#11 Post by GrahameA » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:25 am

shehan wrote:sorry, i forgot to mention that it only has a double notch on the top limb. the bottom one only has one notch where the string goes
That is correct and some photos :

The single nock end with the bowstring and the stringer string in place.
1.jpg
1.jpg (11.74 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
The double nock end with the stringer stringer in place and the bowstring being slid up and into the lower nock.
2.jpg
2.jpg (13.36 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
The bow being strung.
3.jpg
3.jpg (14.44 KiB) Viewed 2384 times
Grahame.

shehan

#12 Post by shehan » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:43 am

have found this very helpful, again thanks to you all

buzz

#13 Post by buzz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:06 pm

I think this vid shows how to use the string and block type bow stringer.

http://www.3riversarchery.com/3rdemos4.asp#22

I use a stringer for my medium to long recurves but step through for my longbow. I have had a bit of practice at doing it and am very careful not to twist the limbs or place uneven pressure on them.

With any stringer, DON'T have your face over the limb whilst placing or removing the string, just in case it lets go for any reason.
sssshhhh.... they are watching