Advice Needed

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Backlash

Advice Needed

#1 Post by Backlash » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:46 pm

I finally was able to get out and chase a few bunnies over the weekend.After the first couple of shots I noticed a bit of a vibration starting to develop in my recuve bow as I let the arrow loose.
On inspection I noticed that the top limb had a gap of around 3 to 4 mm between riser and limb so off with the string to make sure the bolt was tight,well the bolt was tight it looks like that the insert has slipped outwards. :shock:
So I'm wondering if there is any way I am able to repair this. I'm not sure if the insert is press fitted and glued or is a screw in type.
I'm open for any ideas on how to repair this problem or am I better off just putting it behind me and scraping together some cash and going for a new bow???
After this happening I am pretty hesitant in getting another take down recurve.

Cheers
Neil

longbowinfected

Re: Advice Needed

#2 Post by longbowinfected » Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:43 pm

I take it that you have contacted the bow's maker or distributor?
Great opportunity to test out how they back up their product and to also demonstrate their knowledge of their own product / manufacturing processes.
After all you have presumably outlaid a tidy sum of your hard earned. The problem is not that there is a problem, that can happen ....... the real problem is how they deal with your cry for help.
Do not "fix" it yourself....give them first call.

Kevin
never complain....you did not have to wake up....every day is an extra bonus and costs nothing.

buzz

#3 Post by buzz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:03 pm

What sort of bow is it? Someone might have experience with one similar.

Coach

#4 Post by Coach » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:08 pm

Is it a Samick bow ?

Jaydo

#5 Post by Jaydo » Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:48 pm

did your bow carry a warranty, dont like your chances of it being fixed if it was a production made bow,

no customer care :x
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

buzz

#6 Post by buzz » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:08 pm

PSE Impala? (as per previous posts?)
sssshhhh.... they are watching

Backlash

#7 Post by Backlash » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:02 pm

Thanks for all the input guys
Contacting the dealer I brought the bow from is high on my priority list.
I was just thinking it may have been a simple solution in fixing the problem.
Yep its a PSE Impala she was shooting pretty dam good till now :lol:
I know its only an entry level type of bow but I would have thought I would have got a bit more life out of her.
Oh well we live and learn, I had gotten the bow to get me back into the sport and to see if I liked the trad side of things
and I have had a ball I'm loving it, so it may be a good time to save the pennies and look at a better quality bow.
I will give the dealer a call and see what they say.

Cheers guys :)
Neil

buzz

#8 Post by buzz » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:15 am

It might be entry level, but it still isn't cheap and it should be sound for at least a feqw years.

Does the hole for the limb bolt go all the way through the riser? Are you somehow able to tighten it up that way?

hellier

#9 Post by hellier » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:41 pm

tighten it up lefty loosy righty tighty ...maybe go to the hardware store to buy the right bit for a screwdriver.....posi drive , security bit, phillips, hex head....
I'd love to have a battle of wits with you.....but you appear to be un-armed.....

Backlash

#10 Post by Backlash » Thu Jan 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Thanks for that hellier I'll try that
While I'm at the hardware shop I'll get myself a a torque multiplier as well to get them even tighter :lol:
That should get the limb bolts DFT :wink:

Cheers
Neil

pommy chris

#11 Post by pommy chris » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:23 am

i would contact the dealer and see what they say.
if the insert has worked its way out.there will be no use in trying to tighten it up unless you want to pull it right out and try to glue it -at a last resort.
when you first assembled the bow did you just nip the bolts up hand tight.or did you go a bit over on that one side.
the makers of the bow should have a recomended torque setting.but you probally dont get that info when you purchase one.
when talking to the dealer tell them you only did them hand tight and did no way over tighten the bolts.ok one persons hand tight differs to another but if they dont give you a recomended setting then thats all anyone can do.hopefully you will get some joy and a replacement.
LONGBOWS HAVE HORNY ENDS.COS IF WE MISS.YOU STILL GET A POKE IN THE EYE.

CM Sackett

#12 Post by CM Sackett » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:10 am

Inserts can (and have/do) pull out of ANY T/D bow that uses them. The mating surface (O/D) is most likely one of two types:

1. Like a helicoil, threaded on the outside...

2. Cross-roughed (like the grip part of the handle on many ratchet wrenches) with a 'diamond' pattern cut into its surface for grip.

In either case, for a true "fix" (you, or several weeks down the road, some service fella) simply (and carefully) remove the insert... clean the hole of splinter debris... apply a good industrial strength glue to BOTH surfaces

NOTE: Simply brush some of the glue on the hole surfaces. Do NOT do more than that... or your insert won't fit as it should.

...then, simply re-insert (if helicoil type... screw it in, if cross-roughed... tap gently in.)

Leave it set for a day... then get back to years of enjoyment.

Sackett

NOTE 2: Doubt that you did, but most times, the insert begins to pull out because of over-zealous tightening of the limb bolt.

...that's one of the primary reasons most bowyers recommend "SNUG" as the proper torque point.
"The cost of Freedom tends to run very high. The cost of Apathy... incalculable."

Gringa Bows

#13 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:43 am

seems like you've had a little bit to do with take down bows over the years Sackett :) ...Rod

CM Sackett

#14 Post by CM Sackett » Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:38 am

...I've loved 'em... and cussed 'em for a few years, yessir. :wink:

Had a HOYT "Hunt Master" years ago. That's where I learned to speak from experience about 'SNUG'... and how to fix what's been done. :mrgreen: It worked well enough that I spent more years using it as my primary bowfishing rig, then cleaned it up and sent to a soldier who was looking for something a bit "heavier" to shoot with in the Sand (she was a 60# sweetie).

Sackett
"The cost of Freedom tends to run very high. The cost of Apathy... incalculable."

Backlash

#15 Post by Backlash » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:44 pm

Thankyou Mr Sackett
A most informative reply
I am a great believer of not over tightening things unless specified So yes I have been tightening down to a SNUG fit.
As I mentioned above contacting the dealer is very high on my priority list. Just waiting for all these public hols and such to finish that
way I can freight the bow down to where its gotta go. Thats the prob living out here so far away from anything
I was just wondering if it was a simple solution in fixing the prob.
Will get back to you all when I get it all sorted out. :D

Cheers
Neil