Rotisserie

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

GrahameA

Rotisserie

#1 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:57 pm

Afternoon All

The Rod Builders or Epoxy Fly builders will know what I am talking about. Has anyone use a Rotisserie for their arrows while the Varnish is drying?

I have always racked mine vertical but I sometimes get runs where the varnish runs out of the thread bindings. So I was considering build a Rotisserie for them.

Comments??
Last edited by GrahameA on Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Grahame.
Shoot a Selfbow, embrace Wood Arrows, discover Vintage, be a Trendsetter.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Buford

Re: Rotisserie

#2 Post by Buford » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:34 pm

interesting....
I have, in the past, used a hair drier on my arrows when the weather has been colder to prevent runs in paint or varnish.
Hi temp/ speed/ (whatever it is on a drier) for a minute or two whilst turning in my fingers before hanging vertically did the trick nicely. :wink:
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

kimall

#3 Post by kimall » Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:45 pm

Grahame if you have a cresting machine add a light dimmer switch and you can turn it right down low and it will work well.Thats what I did.
Cheers KIM :D

danceswithdingoes

#4 Post by danceswithdingoes » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:15 pm

a mate of mine made a rob building jig using a sewing machine motor and a dimmer attached the foot pedal cable.
ImageImage

GrahameA

#5 Post by GrahameA » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:50 pm

Evening All

Hi Ding

I think what you are describing is a rod lathe.

Hi Kim

A crester is okay for one but not for many. (and most of the time I use my lathe)

Hi Matt

You can tell it is raining in Brisbane. :evil:

A commercial Rod Rotisserie will normally take a dozen to two dozen rods at a time and keeps them continually rotating whilst the finish dries.

Similarly if I was to build an arrow rotisserie I need to be able to load a dozen arrows at a time into it.

My fly rotisserie - built especially for epoxy shrimps - is just a slowly rotating disk with a bit or foam stuck on it. You stick the flies on by the hook and the epoxy does not get an opportunity to slump before it goes off.
Grahame.

"Unfortunately, the equating of simplicity with truth doesn't often work in real life. It doesn't often work in science, either." Dr Len Fisher.

Mick Smith

#6 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:26 pm

That's a bit weird Grahame, I too have made a number of epoxy shrimps and I used a rotisserie to stop the epoxy from sagging. :shock: They say great minds think alike. :wink:

The rotisserie I used was a simple battery powered one that I bought for about $20 from a BBQ place. It used a couple of D batteries. It only turned very slowly, but it had heaps of power. I suppose it was designed to turn a full sized pig. :)

I tried to adapt the rotisserie into a cresting lathe, but it was far too slow turning to be practical.

I don't have any problems with the clear finish sagging on my shafts as I only apply thin layers at any one time. I build up a deep covering with multi layers, rather than one thick one. I lightly sand between coats too. Sure, its a bit more time consuming, but the end result is so much better, I think.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

danceswithdingoes

#7 Post by danceswithdingoes » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:51 pm

Nah Grahame, it was hooked up to a rubber band and a large disk that had 5 rob gimballs. The rods sat on the gimballs inside a large perspex box with a spot light at each end and two computer fans on the plywood floor. He put the rods there after he laquered the bindings.
ImageImage

TEX

#8 Post by TEX » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:31 am

When I build my fishing rods I use a rotisserie motor from an old wall oven.
I do all the binding by hand twisting, more control. Then use the motor for drying the two part varnish. I also use a hair dryer on slow heat to remove the bubbles.
I was going to use it for cresting my first set of traditional arrows.
It might be to slow but I will give it a try over the weekend and let you know.

Brett Finger

#9 Post by Brett Finger » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:25 am

hay mate,
for drying flys, i just use a battery operated motor / roseitte / rotator out a BBQ, rotates at a great speed and runs for hours on a coupla d size cost about $20 from memory, i can post some pics if you like

for drying arras,
i just put a small pice of bulsa wood square dowel (8mm) into the motor key-way and then i put a pice of square foam on the end of the dowell.

the tip / point/ tapered end of the arra simply pushes into the foam, and made a bodgy cradel for the other end of the arra to sit on whle shes a spinnin... :wink:
Kind Regards, Brett
So long as the new Moon returns in heaven a bent, beautiful bow , so long will the fasicnation of Archery keep hold of the hearts of Men
Foundation member - East Coast TRAD Bowhunters - E.C.T.B - we are smoke, we are rumor
NUTGRASS >>----> Nobody knows where he came from, & nobody knows how to get rid of him

Gringa Bows

#10 Post by Gringa Bows » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:44 am

and if you put snags in the middle of the shaft you can have a feed when they finish :roll: :lol:

jape

#11 Post by jape » Fri Sep 05, 2008 8:44 am

global warming - save elecricity - use a hamster in a wheel

TEX

#12 Post by TEX » Fri Sep 05, 2008 9:48 am

Yes the hamster is an excellent idea.
After you finished your arrows you can eat it.

GrahameA

#13 Post by GrahameA » Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:17 am

Hmmm ... I wrote a reply ealier this morning but it did not post - and I was in a rush. I wonder what happened ? Try again.

Hi Mick
The rotisserie I used was a simple battery powered one that I bought for about $20 from a BBQ place. It used a couple of D batteries. It only turned very slowly, but it had heaps of power. I suppose it was designed to turn a full sized pig.
I know exactly what you mean and they do a good job. Having built a few Rotisseries to roast a whole carcass I would suggest you need something a bit bigger, :D

Ding
Nah Grahame, it was hooked up to a rubber band and a large disk that had 5 rob gimballs.
Yep, that is the reel (humour) deal. Use drainpipe O-Rings as drive belts.

Tex
I was going to use it for cresting my first set of traditional arrows.
If it not fast enough try a cordless drill. :D

Hi Brett
i just put a small pice of bulsa wood square dowel (8mm) into the motor key-way and then i put a pice of square foam on the end of the dowell.
That works for one - or just leave it in the lathe. However, I want one that will take a dozen.

Sounds like a project coming up. This is not good Flathead season is here.

Sometimes the weather can be just wrong - One week it is so hot that the stuff dries on the brush and the next you are waiting for hours. Should go fishing.
Grahame.

TEX

#14 Post by TEX » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:36 am

Fishing, I remember fishing, seems like a lifetime ago.
One day I shall wet a line and maybe even catch someting.