Arrow Making Challenge

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Jaydo

Re: Arrow Making Challenge

#31 Post by Jaydo » Tue Aug 19, 2008 5:05 pm

this has go to be one of the best idea's put foward by a member, thanks Jcm, great idea mate, :D

im hoping that by taking part in this challenge, ill be able to learn how to make an arrow to sit back and think wow i made that, slowly but surely im gathering my brushes, stains, and paints, and im gunna give this thing one hell of a go, oh and please if ive done something thats wrong or a bit different to how you pro guys did it, please tell me, its the only way to learn,

good luck everybody,

BTW Jcm, quickest postage turn around ive ever experienced so far, it was sitting on the table waiting for me when i got home :shock: :D

Jayden
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

Trad Bound

#32 Post by Trad Bound » Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:32 pm

John
Received the shafts today once again many thanks. The brain is running on what to do, colours, stain, plastic nock, traditional nock, hand cut fletches, fancy paint job. I think it will be good to see the different efforts. Still a good idea John!!!
Gave the bow a good workout at the Achery club tonight. Other than the serving being not thick enough and I've quickly remedied that, I'm more than happy with it. Once again thank you :D :lol:
Cheers Tony J

Moss

#33 Post by Moss » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:35 pm

Thx heaps received the arrows today when I got home, opened em up straight away and they are in perfect condition when I finish my assignment ill get stuck into the and make sure to take picture for the how its done later on. thanks again for this great opportunity.
Moss

matt_d

#34 Post by matt_d » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:07 pm

Thanks John, mine arrived today.. Time to get busy! :D

Steven J

#35 Post by Steven J » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:19 pm

John,

I am happy to be involved too. You don't need to send shafts as I have plenty to use anyway. Just add me to the class roll. I have just had a first crack at carbon neutral cresting (without an atmopshere polluting electric cresting machine :wink: - I just rolled the arrow across a couple of V grooved stands). From my first attempt I found that the paint thickness must be just so. I tried some acrylic modelling paint, and although it is water clean up, it is still contains a fast drying solvent and I found that it dries too quickly to let the paint flow and do the job well. The cresting definately has a hand made appearance, but I am working on a more efficient design for a hand powered crester. I think that the non-motor method has good merits.

Can anyone recommend any brands of paint that are worth trying and comment on their compatibilities with lacquers and fletching glues.

This is method I used to spraying the cresting on my arrows. Start with a largish box. Mask the arrow below the capping line, punch holes in the box with an arrow and slide the arrows to be sprayed into the box just past the masking tape. The non painted part of the arrow is safely in the box and the arrows don't have to be touched whilst they dry. They can't roll of the table and you can spray around one side of the house out of the wind, then move the whole lot into the sun if need be.

Steve
http://www.stevenjawerth.weebly.com

On Christ the solid rock I stand, All other ground is sinking sand. Edward Mote, 1797-1874

jcm

#36 Post by jcm » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:49 pm

Welcome Steve,
Part of the challenge- everyone gets the 2 shafts .
So let me know your address and I will post to you .
Regards
John

Mick Smith

#37 Post by Mick Smith » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:56 pm

Steve

I use those little glass jars of acrylic paint that you can buy at Bunnings. There're sold as craft paint. Some colours work well and others just don't cover and are useless. The only way to find the good ones is to give them all a try.

When you first get them, they're far too thick to use for cresting. You will end up with brush marks and a raised grooved surface. I add about half a teaspoon of water to the jar, which thins the paint way down to a point where it's a pleasure to use, plus it slows the drying time to some extent as well. Acrylic paint isn't very durable, so it needs to be protected with a coat or two of clear finish over the top. I use a spray can of polyurethane clear. I find it's easier to use a spray for the protective coats as it's quicker and you can get away with only spraying the crested area, rather than having to do the whole shaft. You have to be careful when applying clear finishes over painted surfaces as sometimes the paint will react and crinkle up on you. I've never had a problem with acrylic painted crests with polyurethane clear over the top. I have had major problems with enamal paint with both polyurethane and clear acrylic finishes over the top however.

Before I start cresting, my shafts have already received 2 coats of clear polyurethane. It's important to seal your shafts before cresting as the bare wood will absorb the paint and lead to a 'bleeding' of the colours. You probably already know this stuff.

I think the big secret when cresting is to have just the right amount of paint of the brush. I always apply the paint to the centre of the area I wish to paint and I then I move out towards the edges with very little paint left on the brush. The thing you want to avoid is having a paint build up right on the edge of the band of colour you're doing. It leads to raised edges and the possibility of paint sagging into areas where you don't want it. The choice of brush size is also quite important.

Although they won't qualify for this test, I will post some photos of my more recent arrows, even though they're fairly plain.

Mick
There is no use focusing on aiming if you don't execute the shot well enough to hit what your are aiming at.

Jaydo

#38 Post by Jaydo » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:31 pm

even though that comment was meant for steven,

thanks mick, that gives some indication on how to do cresting better than what i last tried, thanks

Jayden
A smile is priceless, yet can make so much difference

jape

#39 Post by jape » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:37 pm

Shafts arrived here today John, thanks very much. I will start next week.

Steve, I use the cheapest acrylics from 'Best and Less', they are $2 (or $3 for metallics) for a big tube so you can get a few tubes and ensure colour matching in future and they are perfectly useable. But the 'bottle' ones are crap. I am an artist and can tell you that many cheap acrylics are as good as the most expensive if you try them - smooth, dilutable and not patchy or dusty when dry. I have found exactly the same good results with 'newsagent' bought cheap tubes and with the small 'artist-pack' tubes which are more condensed. The cheap flouros can vary a lot but at a couple of bucks a pop thye aren't toodear to find a good brand. The fluoro-yellow tube in the newsagents (probably a nationwide franchise) is an exact match to flouro-yellow Truflight feathers but again, the bottled stuff is crap. Dunno why, different supplier I guess. So even if the shops up your way are different, well worth trying a few cheap brands.

The only reason to buy more expensive 'art' paints is for true colour matching and perhaps if you want them to last a century! BUT good brushes are always worth buying, fine hair ones especially.

I love making and painting arrows, all by hand and I use brass hinges and ice-lolly sticks with tiny clamps and elastic bands to get round the fact I have no jigs. I like a hand-finished look so I crest by eye only. Makes them personal rather than replicating a machine-made job, just my own preference.

Looking forward to this very much, it is great idea for these long cold winter days when we can't get out and do much. I hope a few more join in too. Come on folks, give it a go, its not a competition it is a fun project!

ichiban

#40 Post by ichiban » Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:48 am

got my shafts and many thanks it is sooooo on!!
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

UPTHETOP

#41 Post by UPTHETOP » Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:08 pm

John got the shafts thanks again. Will have to start in a week or two as am off to the territory to bold some pigs over. Will have them done in time though.

Cheers Wayno.
Justastik Arrow Craft, Its all about the Wood.

Nephew

#42 Post by Nephew » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:35 pm

Yep! Mine arrived during the week, too, thanks John. This is the first time I've ever actually sat down and drawn out a plan for arrows.
Lately, if life were treating me any better, I'd be suspicious of it's motives!

jcm

#43 Post by jcm » Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:38 pm

Okay Challengers. Looking forward to some pieces of artarrowery.
Have a Great Weekend
Regards
John

robbbo

#44 Post by robbbo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:22 am

G/day John would like to give it a go if not to late
PM sent
Cheers Robbbo
Life is not measured by the breaths we take,
But by the moments that take our breath away.

jcm

#45 Post by jcm » Sun Aug 24, 2008 10:47 am

Good Day Robbo,
No problem. Post shafts tomorrow.
Regards
John

Trad Bound

#46 Post by Trad Bound » Sun Aug 24, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi Robbo
Good to see you back.
Hope all is well
Tony J

robbbo

#47 Post by robbbo » Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:40 pm

G/day Tony ,
Even though I dont post very often I keep a good eye on whats going on.Lately Adam and I have been chasing the sambar around the hills with a group of like minded hunters both rifle and bow hunters.Our laast week end away saw Adam and I putting up a Stag at 40 meters,and the pure adrelin rush still had my hands shaking an hour later.Loking forward to catching up in the future.
Cheers Robbo

Trad Bound

#48 Post by Trad Bound » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:53 pm

Hi Robbo
Well Done on the Stag, look forward to our paths crossing again.
Tony J

robbbo

#49 Post by robbbo » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:47 pm

Thanks John shafts turned up today

Robbo :D

Blinkybill

#50 Post by Blinkybill » Wed Aug 27, 2008 6:40 pm

Mine got here today too, John. Thanks a lot.

Ben
Yer, I had a really cool name but someone stole it from me...

jcm

#51 Post by jcm » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:02 pm

Glad you got the shafts.
Looking forward to the arrows.
Regards
John

Edwarddgrey

#52 Post by Edwarddgrey » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:26 pm

Its a good thing there isnt a immenent battle or something with the rate of fletching we have here eh John?! Thought we would have some completed by now...

Perhaps people dont want to post pics first?? :lol:

jcm

#53 Post by jcm » Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:53 pm

May perhaps- the Best Things come a wee bit later on.
Would you be taking up the gauntlet? Where can I send the shafts to?
Regards
John

jape

#54 Post by jape » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:21 pm

I have done one and a half, fletched and half painted, nothing fancy though! Taking pics with the phone that may be OK, I just need a decent camera, will borrow one sometime this week. Come on Edwardd, join in!

Buford

#55 Post by Buford » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:37 pm

John, do I have it correct.... 2 shafts. 1 x 5/16. 1 x 11/32?? for free?

if so can I enter 12 times? :lol: :lol:
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

jcm

#56 Post by jcm » Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:56 pm

Sorry- only once. Not enough trees to go around
So are you in ?
John

Buford

#57 Post by Buford » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:16 pm

i'd love to, but alas, all my arrow making gear is in Coffs Harbour still. :(
All i'd be able to do is draw some feathers on with a big texta and use a bread knife to cut a rough nock :D
Don't ask what i'd use for a point. :P
If the comp is still running in about 6 weeks (the next time i can see being down that way to pick up said gear), i'll have a go. :wink:

Cheers
Matt
Stupid TV! Be more funny!

jcm

#58 Post by jcm » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:28 pm

Thanks for taking on the challenge. Send me your address. even if you have not got the gear(jig etc).
Have a go. You could give us a blow by blow of what you can do without use of the standard gear.. a field assembled set.
Leave it with you
Regards
John

Edwarddgrey

#59 Post by Edwarddgrey » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:53 pm

Feeling a little chicken now...if Id seen the competition a little sooner I would have been keener....whats the time cutoff John? Still end of September?

jcm

#60 Post by jcm » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:29 pm

An artist like yourself. Whenever you can finish.
Take up the cudgel?
Address Please
Regards
John