Ambidextrous

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Jock

Ambidextrous

#1 Post by Jock » Fri Dec 05, 2003 3:58 am

Hi,
Was intreagued by a post on TradGang regarding a "Righty" shooting "Lefty", so I bought a Samick Left Handed Recurve, 40# @ 28" off Ebay, I was pleasantly surprised at both the condition and finish.
The main reason was to see if I could learn to shoot "Lefty" and also pulling the string with my left hand ect, to balance exercising my back muscles, anyway, it feels really strange but not as much that would put me off, do any of you guys shoot ambi?
Johnny B. Good.

#2 Post by Guest » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:19 am

G'day Jock, I taught myself to shoot left about 12 months ago, mainly because I am seriously right handed but left eye dominant.

I kicked off at about 50 lb while I built myself a lefty at my preferred hunting weight (about 64 lb @ 28").

I was surprised at how quickly accuracy came, well inside a month I was shooting as well if not better left handed as I can right handed. Speed and smoothness in manipulating the arrow onto the string while not looking came a little slower but also came with practice.

Next step - hunting. That is where I eventually threw the towel in! As I have mentioned before I hunt mostly deer in tight country and all the things that now come naturally to me right handed - belly crawling through sh @#$t, limb clearance for canting the bow, feet position for possible shot in final stages of the stalk etc had to change!

I had a nice fat hind step out at about 15 paces and stand side on, knowing she was close I had paused but of corse I had naturally stoped left foot forward (for a right handed shot). So there I was, an absolute gift of a shot (normally) and all I could do was admire her (I could nearly smell the steaks frying) till she eventually woke up that all was not well
and moved on to safer pastures.

Another day I was sneaking through some crutch to waist high grass and rubbish amongst sparse timber when another hind got up from nearly under my feet and stopped and stood side on at about 20 paces.
In the time it had taken her to run the 15 paces I had thrown the bow from my right hand (where it was supposed to be) to my left hand and was reaching around the right hand side of the bow (wrong again!) for an arrow. I know it was my imagination but I reckoned I could see her laughing at my clumsiness :oops: .

Old habits were dieing too hard so I picked the old girl up again accepted my right handedness.

The exercise was not totally wasted though as I do enjoy shooting both hands at home for fun and in my business I am now able to properly test shoot customers left handed bows before they go out.

Mark K.
Last edited by Guest on Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat Dec 06, 2003 10:07 pm

G'day Jock,

I am left handed and shoot left handed. I used to make a few longbows and of course these were mainly right handed. I always shot them in left handed and shot the arrow off my finger. However I would also shoot them right handed off the shelf as well. Surprisingly I got reasonable accuracy out to 15 - 18 metres or so.

My natural way of shooting is controlled snap shooting, yet when shooting right handed I had to come to full draw and anchor. As for me being fluid in getting an arrow on the string etc right handed - forget it!!! :lol:

Jeff

Silverfox.

#4 Post by Silverfox. » Sun Dec 07, 2003 12:10 pm

My mother can write with her left hand and with the right, very neatly I might add, but the gene stoped there!
If I use anything with my left hand It looks like a baby foal trying to walk!! :shock:

MarkP

#5 Post by MarkP » Wed Dec 10, 2003 8:45 pm

I am naturally right handed and shot the bow right handed as a young fella. Like many others I made the switch to lefty to get the hand/eye thing happening.

I also found it wasn't that hard to change - and after many years shooting lefty I feel really uncoordinated to fling a couple of arrows right handed.

MarkP