Finished my 1st 3 piece Recurve

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

perry

Finished my 1st 3 piece Recurve

#1 Post by perry » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:43 am

I approached this project with the experience of 200 plus selfbows and 8 or 10 bamboo laminate bows under my belt 8) . How challenging can a formula bow be :?: There is not enough space here for me to list the drama's :oops: but I got through them with advice from Greybeard , Gary P and Glenn Newell . Thanks for the use of your tools as well fella's .

Bows specs are 59" ntn , 47# @ 28 , beefwood veneers on back , spotted gum tapered lam for belly , purple heart limb wedges , 40 thou clear fibreglass and beefwood overlays on the recurves . Riser is spotted gum with beefwood and purpleheart overlays .

I carved a lions paw print into a bone button and inlaid it into the handle . Those that know me will know that this is an "in joke" and signifies a pretty rude translation of Umgawa Simba which this bow had proved .

regards Perry
1 st laminated recurve 1.JPG
1 st laminated recurve 1.JPG (91.48 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
1 st laminated recurve 2.JPG
1 st laminated recurve 2.JPG (79 KiB) Viewed 2666 times
1 st laminated recurve 4.JPG
1 st laminated recurve 4.JPG (99.51 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
1 st laminated recurve 5.JPG
1 st laminated recurve 5.JPG (103.57 KiB) Viewed 2658 times
[attachment=1]1 st laminated recurve 6.JPG[/attachment
Attachments
1 st laminated recurve 3.JPG
1 st laminated recurve 3.JPG (115.44 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
1 st laminated recurve 6.JPG
1 st laminated recurve 6.JPG (100.03 KiB) Viewed 2651 times
Last edited by perry on Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

CM Sackett

Re: Finished my 1st 3 piece Recurve

#2 Post by CM Sackett » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:49 am

Sweet, flowing work... well done!

Sackett
"The cost of Freedom tends to run very high. The cost of Apathy... incalculable."

Brumbies Country

#3 Post by Brumbies Country » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:28 am

Great bow Perry. Really something to be able to make a recurve like that.

Simon

Graeme K

#4 Post by Graeme K » Sun Jun 08, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Perry
Great looking bow. I know what you mean about difficulties making recurves -- looks simple -- not true.

Do you have an un strung photo where it is possible tom see the the limb side on ?

Graeme

perry

#5 Post by perry » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:48 am

Graeme the nocks are 1 1/2 " forward of the front of the riser . I borrowed a mates Bingham 60 " t/d limb form and messed around with recommended 21 degree limb pocket angles to bring them down to this as I did not want a high string tension twitchy sub 60" recurve bow .

For my next project I have designed and made a static recurve limb form and will be using a very similar riser with a veiw to making a set of deflex reflex limbs to bolt onto the same riser

I also slightly built out the shelf side of the grip to offset my hand to enhance its pointability . This has paid off as the bow is stable , points and shoots where I look .

regards Perry
"To my deep morticication my father once said to me, 'You care for nothing but shooting, dogs and rat catching, and you will be a disgrace to yourself and all your family.' "

- Charles Darwin

Moss

#6 Post by Moss » Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:53 am

Love it nice wood ( love purple heart ) combinations :D
Moss

Hood

#7 Post by Hood » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:10 pm

Great looking bow for ya first one. Well done.
Bow Hunting is my Passion.

My wife says it's my Obsession.

Either way I'm happy.

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jun 08, 2008 3:39 pm

The bow looks great - congrats!

Jeff

Alex

#9 Post by Alex » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:08 pm

Nice work
I got my plans from bingham as well and am just going to get the material for two bows , one single piece and one take down .
By your pictures and your comments , I can already have an idea of how heavy the bow will be (I will be making a 58" take down) . I was thinking of using a combination of 0.040 and 0.050 thou glass to get a 50# bow. As I always use black glass, I don't use veneers so the cores will be a mix of 90/2 taper and 0.050 thou silver ash with ebony wedges.
Nice combination of woods,nice wedges.
Good on ya!!

perry

#10 Post by perry » Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:30 am

Alex it was out of a combination of caution , not wishing to experiment with limb design and plain lazyness that I used a mates Bingham T/D bow form . I wanted a safe proven design . I wanted to gain practical experience and not just knoweledge of making a fibreglass 3 piece T/D .

From there I changed everything . I used a 1 1/2 inch maximum limb width , Bingham recuves usually use 1 3/4 or 2 inch fibreglass . I shortened the recurves more than recommended and fitted tip overlays to make the last 5 inches static and aid in lateral stiffness with a narrow limb . I guessed the thickness of the single tapered spotted gum lamination based on reports from Greybeard that on average Spotted gum laminations come in 8 or 9 # heavier in a bow than maple of the same thickness.

I also guessed by the ease that the bandsaw cut the Beefwood against the spotted gum that a approx 1/16th veneer perhaps thin lamination is more accurate would add bugger all draw and I guessed that 40thou glass in a maximum width of 1 1/2 " combined with everything abovewould give me about 45#

I also changed the riser pocket angles from Binghams 21 degree's . I dont have a protractor to measure the shallower limb pocket angle I used -I did it scientifically :lol: -I just reduced it by about 3/8th at the high end and redrew the angle to the end of the riser so at a future date I could make a set of deflex reflex limbs for this riser and not use so much deflex .

In the Bingham kits I think they have 3 lams , 2 straight , 1 taper and they use wider fibreglass so I hesitate to say you should make any judgements based on this bow when buying a Bingham kit .

regartds Perry

- Charles Darwin

piggy

#11 Post by piggy » Mon Jun 09, 2008 10:50 am

mate excellent work can't wait to see the future work.

Cheers

Paul

Edwarddgrey

#12 Post by Edwarddgrey » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:04 am

Im not a recurver.....but what a ripper!! Well done!

So how long did she take you?!

bsrecurve

#13 Post by bsrecurve » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:44 pm

nice one mate - really classy look to it i reckon. :D
>>>------------>
Hunt to live - live to hunt. >>>----------->
>>>------------>