Nocks - What type do you use???

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

MIK

Nocks - What type do you use???

#1 Post by MIK » Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:36 pm

howdy doody

just wondering what sort of nocks everyone uses on their arrows

i use what i have been told over the years are speed nocks as in the picture below, but they seem to be getting hard to get around the traps

its not a good pickie... taken by digital in poor light ... sorry guys but you should be able to see it to recognise the type

MIK
Attachments
DSC00815.JPG
DSC00815.JPG (147.22 KiB) Viewed 3326 times

Butch Speer

#2 Post by Butch Speer » Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:09 am

Mik,
That sure does remind me of the Mercury speed nock. I believe other companies made similar nocks.

I've been using self nocks for about four years now. I gave away close to 200 speed nocks & never missed them.
Butch

You can't run with the big dogs, if you pee like a puppy.

<http://butchspeer.150m.com/>

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#3 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:09 pm

I have been using Mercury nocks for twelve years now and think they are the best. They have a good index and the string throat is wide which makes it easy to nock an arrow without having to look. They are sinilar to your speed nock only better IMO.

Jeff

MarkP

#4 Post by MarkP » Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:11 pm

Like Jeff I use Mercury nocks. I wouldn't swap them for any other nock. High index makes alignment on the string easy without looking, is great if you don't like using a different coloured cock feather (which I don't), and they slide snuggly onto the string. Additionally, I doubt there is a better looking nock on the market - if there is I haven't seen it.

MarkP

#5 Post by Guest » Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:23 am

I used to use Mercury index nocks but have had too many shatter on me (maybe just a brittle batch, or old), even had a mates selfbow fly to pieces when he shot one of my arrows because the nock shattered on release from full draw and gave him what was essentially a "dry fire".

When I finished laughing I felt a bit bad as he was rightly proud of his bow .

I now use the Classic index nock and have had no trouble, in my experience - a better nock. Easy and quick to load without looking and has a very slight nipple in the throat, certainly not what you would call a "clip on" but just enough to know you are on.

This is an arguable topic but there is my 2 cents worth.

TRASH

#6 Post by TRASH » Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:46 am

I currently use the mercury speed nock have tried the bohning classic but had two fail on me. Havin smoko in a creek ripped out the bow for a quick bit of fun. One drove 1/2 the nock into me forearm and along it for about 1" on top of a pearler of a egg size lump man the pain was intense . Dont normally hit me arm with the string but maybe the dry fire effect it made it ????? Nige thought it was a great joke.
That arvo a 44 gallon drum sized spotty boar was asleep in the mud hole
i snorked up, placed the trusty akkaaburra on the ground ,snorking snorking into position. A large sow was comming up the bank "bugga" so i tried to look like a skinny old stick "no good" she's off and so was the boar he came up the bank 10 feet to my left at a steady trot not fully aware of what was going on. I let loose the arrow only to have it land at my feet and scream in pain as the string ripped across the now purple/green oozing wound in my forearm . To add insult to injury the mongrel ran clean over me hat covering it in mud and crud . Ole Nige near wet hisself took him a good 15 minutes to be able to talk again.. How's that two arrows one after the other both failing used bohning glue and all . just another adventure really thats all
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

vegie

#7 Post by vegie » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:43 pm

Are you not sure this last post does not deserve to be in the humour section. I can relate to it, hope your arm is better and there was no damage to the bow.
Daryl

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:55 pm

Daryl,

You will learn in time that being around our mate TRASH is one big humour section. :lol:

Jeff

trash one

#9 Post by trash one » Thu Dec 04, 2003 2:07 pm

Hay Jeff,
Strowy wouldn't have used glue for his nocks he has used tec screws for his nocks and broardheads for as long as I have known him.
CATCH YA
BUTCH

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Thu Dec 04, 2003 3:06 pm

Hey Butcho, you better not say to much more about his skill as a Master Fletcher or you might hurt Ol' Mates feelings. :lol:

Jeff
Last edited by Stickbow Hunter on Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erron

#11 Post by erron » Thu Dec 04, 2003 8:18 pm

This is a scan of the nocks I like, from the 3 Rivers cattle dog (courtesy Whitings Warehouse). They seem the most like self nocks to me, and I aspire to making my own nocks one day.

cheers,

Erron
Attachments
nocks.jpg
nocks.jpg (41.44 KiB) Viewed 3245 times

TRASH

#12 Post by TRASH » Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:52 pm

Nah Butcho i gave up using tec screws a long time far away back and just tap em on with the hammer man !!!!! :shock: Now where's that sewer rodent aaaargh..
TOTALLY ROOTED AND STILL HUNTING

trash one

#13 Post by trash one » Fri Dec 05, 2003 2:07 pm

Hay Strowy
Iv'e seen you eat some strange stuff, the cat was probly the strangest but it sounds like rat might be an the tucker list shortly, I still think those 15 blood finches cooked on a spit made out 8 gauge fencingwire was a bit different and you ate them bones and all.
CATCH YA
BUTCH