Re-Glueing

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

Sparra

Re-Glueing

#1 Post by Sparra » Sat May 24, 2008 8:28 am

Some of you may remember my post some years back about my Martin Dreamcatcher de-laminating on one limb...I still have the bow and was wondering if it is possible to re-glue the lamination...
It is still attatched some 8" from the tip...If it is possible what would the process involve and what glue would I need to use...If not I guess it's finally into the bin...
Cheers...Sparra
Cheers...Sparra

There is always someone doing it tougher than you...

woody

Re: Re-Glueing

#2 Post by woody » Sat May 24, 2008 8:52 am

http://www.ausbow.com.au/bowmaking.html

Sparra,
try this link.That Dreamcatcher is too nice a bow to not try and fix, :lol:
Three things you can never take back, time past, an angry word and a well sped arrow

Coach

#3 Post by Coach » Sat May 24, 2008 9:19 am

Jeff gives a link in this thread http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.p ... air#p50379 to a delamination that he repaired , but the link doesnt work since this site has been upgraded . Maybe you could search for it :wink:

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#4 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sat May 24, 2008 11:24 am

Sparra,

The link Coach mentions should be or great help to you but as he said it is not working since our change over. I don't have a copy of the PDF on my computer but I have contacted GrahameA who may still have it and we should be able to get it the link fixed up in the next couple of days. I only have the drafts of the article on my computer.

Jeff

Sparra

#5 Post by Sparra » Sat May 24, 2008 12:26 pm

Thanks Jeff,I will keep an eye out for it...
Cheers...Sparra
Cheers...Sparra

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#6 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Wed May 28, 2008 3:35 pm

Sparra,

Sorry for the long delay but we had problems with getting the original PDF as Dennis was on his way up here. Thanks to Garden Gnome for sending me the PDF and also posting up again. Dennis had sent him a copy thankfully. :D

Go to the link below and open the PDF. I hope this helps get your old bow shooting again.

Jeff

http://www.ozbow.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=4644

Sparra

#7 Post by Sparra » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:02 am

last weekend I went to the local boating supplies and talked to them about what I needed the epoxy for and came away with a 2 part epoxy called Epiglue...
Opened up the delaminated bow and cleaned out between the fractures,mixed up the epoxy and coated everything up.I simply then duct taped the bow up the limb leaving a gap every so often for the epoxy to squeeze out,left it until yesterday and have shot maybe 70 arrows through it and it is shooting as good as it ever was..I did however manage to get epoxy everywhere and even after cleaning it up and sanding most of it off it is still not as pretty as it was but I now have an ideal hunting bow that I don't have to worry too much about knocking around provided it keeps on shooting as it is..Thanks for all the help...
Sparra...
Cheers...Sparra

greybeard
Supporter
Supporter

#8 Post by greybeard » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:11 am

Hi Sparra,

It is best to run masking tape down the back and belly glass and then trim to shape. This stops any of the glue getting transferred to the glass.

Cheers
Daryl.
"And you must not stick for a groat or twelvepence more than another man would give, if it be a good bow.
For a good bow twice paid for, is better than an ill bow once broken.
[Ascham]

“If a cluttered desk is a sign of a cluttered mind, of what, then, is an empty desk a sign?” [Einstein]

I am old enough to make my own decisions....Just not young enough to remember what I decided!....

Sparra

#9 Post by Sparra » Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:13 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks Daryl...I did think of this as I was taping up the limb... :oops: :oops:
Cheers...Sparra

Stickbow Hunter
Supporter
Supporter

#10 Post by Stickbow Hunter » Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:30 am

Glad to hear youhad success and I hope it all holds together for you. :D

Jeff