where can you get grey lag goose feathers

Where to source materials etc. Also the place to show off your new bow or quiver etc.... Making things belongs in Traditional Crafts.

Moderator: Moderators

ichiban

where can you get grey lag goose feathers

#1 Post by ichiban » Mon May 19, 2008 2:58 pm

i know there are a million and one "better" feathers or vanes out there for fletchings but there is something about an authentic arrow you know... dose anyone know where i could get some feathers, i have called wholesalers, craft stores etc but nothing.
Thanks,
Dave
Im gonna make it bend and break-Fall Out Boy

ichiban

Re: where can you get grey lag goose feathers

#2 Post by ichiban » Mon May 19, 2008 6:41 pm

ah ha i have found one person in Canberra who has Grey geese and hes going to pick up some pinions for me anyone know of other places i could get some cause i don't think he will be able to get me enough right wing pinions...... and i really dont want to spend a small fortune on them.
-Dave

waynerob

#3 Post by waynerob » Sun May 25, 2008 10:28 pm

The Greylag Goose (Anser ferus) is the direct progenitor of the domestic goose, Anser anser L. The wing pinions on both birds are white. I get mine by mail order from www.feather.com.au on the Gold Coast, tell her they are for fletching arrows (she's used to me now), ask for goose pointer seconds, say you want all the same wing and give the minimum barb length you want. She's brilliant and fast.

Younger son has just talked me in to doing some Saxon arrows for him. Black... black cock feather, black flight feathers, black linen binding, all set in black pitch. I did one in front of the telly tonight and just about went blind.

Wayne

ichiban

#4 Post by ichiban » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:53 am

sorry about the delay but thank you so much for the info